Coterminous Renewal

I had my renewal notice for both my Shotgun and Firearm certificate through the post the first week of October last year (2015). Amongst other things, it stated I needed to return my application for a renewal by the end of October so as to ensure I get a new certificate before my expiry date (08/01/2017). So, no time wasted, I sent all the relevant paperwork and payment off just over a week later recorded delivery. Checked with them a few days later and all was received, present and correct.

December came around pretty fast and no sign of a visit and obviously no sign of any certificates. With Christmas in the way and the 8th January getting pretty close, I decided to give South Wales Police a ring. I was told I would not receive my renewal before my expiry date, however, I would be issued with a temporary permit under section 7 of the firearms act. I was quite annoyed at this and expressed this politely over the phone. The following day I also phoned my FEO and he took my details and said he would ring back to arrange an appointment so he can pay me a visit.

Christmas and the New Year came and went and still no call. So yesterday, I decided to give South Wales Police a ring again. You can only ring between 14:00 & 16:30. It was 14:15 and after several attempts, I gave up. They kept putting me through to a recorded message telling me to ring back between 14:00 & 16:30 and the phone would go dead. So I rang my FEO again and he ensured me I would be issued with a Temporary permit. He then arranged to visit me this coming Monday.

In the meantime, I have found out that I'm not allowed to possess expanding ammunition with a temporary permit. Neither the firearms department or my FEO mentioned anything about this to me. In fact, I was told I could continue to use my firearms but I would not be allowed to purchase ammo. I knew this anyway. How on earth though, can I continue to use my rifle if I'm not allowed to possess expanding ammunition?

Could someone tell me if this is a fact, or I have just misread it? I know ignorance of the law is no excuse, and it's up to me to know the law surrounding firearms but, if this is true, not only do i know feel utterly stupid and a complete novice but, I have no idea what i'm going to do with my ammo before this coming Sunday. I will check again with my FEO tomorrow but, I thought I would post this to see if anyone else may have experienced this.

I have a .22-250 with Federal Shok 55gr soft point and Norma 50 gr ballistic tip. I also have a .17hmr with CCI 20gr hollow point.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thank you so much Walshie, much appreciated indeed. Think I'll try the Sports Man Gun Centre on Saturday.

Same here mate. I would have held on to them for you, but alas I don't have those calibres either. Sods law eh?   That sounds like quite a poor show from the South Wales Force. I have only ever had

It's the same here before u surrender your old licence it makes sense to buy the most bullets you can hold as the renewal process takes that long

Thank you Walshie.... Dont have anyone with a ticket so I will have to try n pop to a RFD on Saturday. Do you now if you can just pop in or is it best to phone them first?

It's mad, I've been shooting for biggest part of my life and never knew this until now. Kicking myself..............You think you got it all covered.

Good job I read the BASC magazine today or I would never have known. The amazing thing is, they said I would still be able to use my firearms??? Don't see the point of going shooting without any ammo :huh::huh:

Thank you Walshie.... Dont have anyone with a ticket so I will have to try n pop to a RFD on Saturday. Do you now if you can just pop in or is it best to phone them first?

It's mad, I've been shooting for biggest part of my life and never knew this until now. Kicking myself..............You think you got it all covered.

Good job I read the BASC magazine today or I would never have known. The amazing thing is, they said I would still be able to use my firearms??? Don't see the point of going shooting without any ammo :huh::huh:

I know. Mad isn't it? I'd just pop in the RFD. You can bet you aren't the first person to be put in this situation by police incompetence.

Not that it helps you, but they are changing S5 ammo to S1 as we speak so this won't be an issue in the future. Be a few months yet.

I don't have slots for either of your calibres otherwise I'd look after it till you get your ticket back. :thumbs:

its the same up here in scotland ive been waiting over 10 weeks on a variation i phoned the firearms officer on Wednesday and he tells me that it was signed off on the 19th of december and has been sent from dundee police station to either inverness or to Aberdeen police station to be printed and its out of his hands now,i also heard on the news theres been eleven thousand applications for air rifle license,s in the month of december the whole thing is a shambles,basc or saccs or the gamekeepers association should be kicking up a stink about this,its bad enough that someone cant go shooting but when it is interfering with someone's job its just not right

Edited by wilbur foxhound

Thank you so much Walshie, much appreciated indeed. :thumbs: Think I'll try the Sports Man Gun Centre on Saturday.

Same here mate. I would have held on to them for you, but alas I don't have those calibres either. Sods law eh?

That sounds like quite a poor show from the South Wales Force. I have only ever had dealings with the Gwent Firearms Licensing, and I have to admit they have been spot on every time. :boogy:

Keep your chin up mate. ;)

• Like 1

North Yorkshire police must be the only force at the moment that is on the ball. My firearms certificate was up for renewal last year so I opted to go for the conterminous this time round. I filled in the forms, sent them off. My new coterminous certificates came 1 week before my old ones expired. So when the new certificates came into date I simply returned the old ones to the licensing department. No hassle nice and easy, how difficult can it be for all forces to do the same?

No problems with ammunition and no need for a temporary certificate.

• Like 1

It's the same here before u surrender your old licence it makes sense to buy the most bullets you can hold as the renewal process takes that long

That's the point though. If you get issued a section 7 instead, you're holding all that ammo illegally.

That's the point though. If you get issued a section 7 instead, you're holding all that ammo illegally.

Exactly Walshie..Good job I didn't go by any ammo as I intended to do before my licence expired. I also mentioned this in conversation when on the phone to South Wales Police and they never said anything about having ammo when my licence expires. Would have been interesting if I had gone down to the gun shop to buy ammo if anyone would have said I would have to be careful because my licence expires in a couple of days and I would be holding ammo illegally. IAccording to BASC the only way I could use non-expanding ammo is if i was to reload with full jackets. Dont know if this is.correct or if there is any such thing as non expanding ammo in 22-250.

i sent my renewal forms back to TVP back in nov 2015 and still waiting for certificates

im on my 2nd lot of temporary permits which runs out in 8 days time. :censored::angry2::angry:

I feel for you mate. That is totally disgusting. Over a year is beyond a joke. Is that for your firearms as well. If so what calibres and have you been able to go out at all

Update on my post: I tried to ring my FEO today. Went straight to answer service so i left asking him to ring me. A few hours passed and no call. So i tried a few more times later and kept getting the answer service.

I then decided to try South Wales Police again. I got exactly the same as yesterday. The call keeps going through to an automated answering service advising you to call between 14:00 &16:30, I then got cut off. The amazing thing is, i rang several times and all calls were between the hours. Its a joke.

I contacted BASC and they have told me if i do keep the ammo with a RFD keep the receipts if they charge and forward them to the Firearms department. They also said the law regarding expanding ammo should hopefully change in the next few months.

This confirms what Walshie posted earlier. Thankyou Walshie