Best Beginners Air Rifle For Around £300?

I was thinking of getting an air rifle for small game, rabbits etc and was wondering what everyone thought is a good beginners first time air rifle. I am looking to spend around £300 if I can get a half decent one for that, I'd like one that will last.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wise words from wise members. I second the second hand route which will give you the chance of buying a better quality gun than your budget may extend to if buying new.   Phil

That has defiantly given me some more routes to look down thanks lads.

Now imagine that, 300 beans for your first air rifle   30 quid Chinky B2 for me. Glad I didn't get anything else really. Would of spoilt the experiences that's followed.

Posted Images

Weihrauch Hw99 is under £300 new and well up for that. With the quality to last for decades.

Or go for something second hand.

https://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk/weihrauch-hw99-s-22

And you should have enough change for a decent scope and mount.

I would make yourself familiar at a local airgun club first though. Like minded individuals, good banter and people willing to let you use their guns, so you get to know what handles well for your frame.

There are lots of quality makes and some reasonable budget models too. But the budget models may make you regret your first purchase.

Air Arms, Weihrauch, Walther, RWS are some of the premium stalwarts.

Notice I haven't mentioned calibre, get yourself to a club and see what you think. I have always shot .22 but .177 is just as valid and cheaper.

.22 will be more fun if you are shooting cans and actions figures in between hunting. .177 goes right through but your target goes with a fair crack and jump with .22

All the best

Pesky

• Like 1

Weihrauch Hw99 is under £300 new and well up for that. With the quality to last for decades.

Or go for something second hand.

https://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk/weihrauch-hw99-s-22

And you should have enough change for a decent scope and mount.

I would make yourself familiar at a local airgun club first though. Like minded individuals, good banter and people willing to let you use their guns, so you get to know what handles well for your frame.

There are lots of quality makes and some reasonable budget models too. But the budget models may make you regret your first purchase.

Air Arms, Weihrauch, Walther, RWS are some of the premium stalwarts.

Notice I haven't mentioned calibre, get yourself to a club and see what you think. I have always shot .22 but .177 is just as valid and cheaper.

.22 will be more fun if you are shooting cans and actions figures in between hunting. .177 goes right through but your target goes with a fair crack and jump with .22

All the best

Pesky

Thanks for the help gives me a bit of an insight

Same as the two above but on the BSA forum someone is selling BSA ultra multi shot se for £290 ,one year old .

Trouble is you need a pump or dive bottle to fill it .

Try and go to a gun club /shop and try a few out ,also have a look on forum, gunstar, and freeadds for second hand ones

Welcome by the way and there is plenty of people on this forum to help , if you ever need it, :thumbs:

as the lads have said there are some good rifles in your cash bracket!

don't be put off by buying second hand because like pesky said the quality of the best makers is unbelievable and they will last a long time if looked after!!

£300 will buy a nice second hand rifle and scope combo and leave you with change for the load of pellets your going to have to buy :thumbs:

if you see something you like screen shot a picture, put it on here and the lads will say yay or nay, as said theres a lot of lads to point you in the right direction!

atb and happy shopping si

It seems to be between the weihrauch Hw99 and hw95 but I was looking at them online and may not be looking at the right website but can someone please explain in layman's terms the difference between the two and which is best for hunting.

Hw95 is more or less a scaled down Hw80. It is a modern Weihrauch with a very good reputation. A medium weight rifle.

Hw99 is a light weight rifle. Built for 12 foot pounds legal limit. Seems more popular (based on this and other forums) than the Hw95 but pretty much an equal.

There was an issue with the cocking arm rubbing on earlier models. I think there is a fix available. A lighter air gun can suffer more recoil. .177 versions are regarded as snappy compared with a smoother .22 version.

Both good guns.

You will read all about the trigger on an air rifle, how crucial it is for accuracy. The Weihrauchs, and Air Arms, have the best triggers in the business.

Get yourself off to a club or a good gunsmith and try both out. You may prefer one over the other.

I think the price difference is about £80-£100 with the 99 being cheaper.

Pesky

I'd reccomend after all the guns iv owned - a new HW99 and give the piston a good polish and fit TBT spring guide kit and still have change for a nice mil dot scope and pellets. Learning to shoot a springer well is good for learning marksmanship skills too.

I'd reccomend after all the guns iv owned - a new HW99 and give the piston a good polish and fit TBT spring guide kit and still have change for a nice mil dot scope and pellets. Learning to shoot a springer well is good for learning marksmanship skills too.

For the scope is the hawke eclipse 3-12x50 ir mil dot or hawke eclipse 4-16x50 mil dot the better for small game as I have no idea about the ranges etc for hunting small game and am a complete a mature at using a rifle these most likely seem bone questions but like I say I have no clue. More used to using a ferret and net lol.