Brother/sister Cross- Your Thoughts!

If the dog is to be the main dog used in your program, what is the next step if you wanted to breed from a good bitch in that litter.

We're nowhere near being snookered & have several good options, this being 1 of them. With regards to breeding off that litter again no major issue there either..
so what would you do?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I used to study Pit Bull pedigrees 'till I'd be bleary eyed. Pit Bull fanciers in a way breed for what a lot of us in terriers should be breeding for, gameness. In terriers if you breed for gameness

every litter is a risk /chance, if you can afford the risk i'd breed them, if you do keep us posted , i'd like to know how they come out , its the only inbreeding i've never tried, had good results fr

Pluckys dogs are on the dole cause they don't work . There's six wankers on THL and he's five of them

Posted Images

Its hard to explain without breeding charts & long drawn out explanations....there is no main dog in our breeding program. We have several dogs down off same strain with varying degrees of desired individuals in their breeding. Not that the other side of them is bad...by no means. Its just we're concentrating on a certain pool. Also theres other dogs of same line that have clicked with our pool. Some of which we have bred off. We have obviously also criss crossed some of our own stuff. So loads of options. This litter proved very good. (Repeat crosses have worked in the past - I know this is not exact same as their father to mother but as close as we can get) So as they're ageing now if we could get same stuff out of bro/sis & worked out..it would give us more time to use this stuff in our pool...

every litter is a risk /chance, if you can afford the risk i'd breed them, if you do keep us posted , i'd like to know how they come out , its the only inbreeding i've never tried, had good results from mother son , father daughter . half siblings and matings between all of them afterwards , the blood should shine good luck

Edited by Glyn.....
  • Like 6

One of the best dogs I've owned was an accidental brother sister mating . There was no small pups in the litter and all was healthy . Go for it . My bitch was four and the dog 5 by the time I knew the pup was any good . The bitch had died . Was gutted I didn't get a second try at it .

• Like 2

Have worked this line 25+ yrs...

do you know all the breeding of the terriers you have bred in the 25yrs or have you scatter bred with different stud dogs, after 25yrs of line breeding the line would be very tight and a brother/sister mating would be too close,a half brother/sister could even be too close, is your line everything you desire from a terrier ? When did you last outcross ?? Is your present line clean of any health problems ? I always breed to a plan and only you will know how close that line has become,WM
  • Like 1

I found ferrets too closely bred were hard to handle.Had an accidental litter of brother to sister pitbulls,some pups were huge,some tiny,all were extremely aggressive,had to separate litter at 5 weeks.They were from a tightly bred line.

that's genetics for you,if a gene pool gets too tight or close you can get sexual dismorphism where the dogs become large and the bitches get smaller and weaker,temperament will also suffer and dogs become more aggressive,you also produce more males than females in every litter ,Plummer tried to alleviate this by adding a bull outcross,a breed known for producing similar sized progeny, with little difference in size,etc,between males and females,the problem with doing that is it then takes a few generations to downsize your terriers to something that can work to ground again,you can just strike lucky with scatter breeding or chance breeding any 2workers but any one wishing to produce a steady,healthy line of workers needs to breed to a plan,WM Edited by Plucky1
  • Like 1

I used to study Pit Bull pedigrees 'till I'd be bleary eyed.

Pit Bull fanciers in a way breed for what a lot of us in terriers should be breeding for, gameness. In terriers if you breed for gameness firstly then IMO nose, wind etc. etc. should follow.

Studying these pedigrees you start to see a trend as to what sort of inbreeding is most successful over all and not just on one or two yards.

Remember that on some of the larger yards of bulldogs more breedings might be done in one year than ten years on a terriermans yard (the way it should be) and pit bull fanciers need numbers.

Two things I noticed by looking at pedigrees and talking to fanciers is that a lot of them didn't like mother to son mating nor did they like repeat matings.

Father to daughter, to granddaughter, to Gr. granddaughter, half brother to half sister, brother to sister were all regularly successful and without a doubt the most successful recipe of consistency was to produce battle crosses. Which is something that would be hard for most terriermen to do but possible if two terriermen got together and found a click.

Personally I think the reason father to daughter matings click and mother to sons don't (obviously they do at times) is because it's much more natural.

When a stag has a harem some of the hinds have to be his daughters and grandaughters. It's the same in a badger sette. The dominant sow drives all the juvenile males away every year thus leaving her daughters in the sette.

A cock pheasant will have 4 or 5 hens with him in the Spring time. You don't see a hen with 5 or 6 males in tow.

In a lot of species there has to be a lot of inbreeding and it seems nature has engineered it so fathers will impregnate their own daughters and granddaughters but not near as likely will a son cover it's mother.

Regarding full brother to sister ? If both are fine healthy specimens it could easily work and will tighten up the breeding in one generation.

My old Dixie was a brother / sister mating and she died recently at 15 and was never sick a day in her life, apart from the obvious of course.

Two full brother to sister matings I can think of regarding game dogs was T.Ls Shadow and Ricky Ch. Psycho and both dogs left legacies behind them.

• Like 11