Kayak Fishing

I'm interested in starting kayak fishing. I use a sevylor inflatable on rivers and have used it on the sea in other countries but I'm not keen on trying in the UK sea as it's very much affected by wind and current. I have seen small sit on top fishing kayaks on ebay for £300 odd, are they any good?

Hello mate,

I'm certainly no pro, but do enjoy a bit of kayak fishing... the one thing I've found is the cheaper kayaks tend to be shorter and wider, they are very bouyant but much harder to paddle in any type of tide or headwind... but they are far better than the inflatables, I'd give that a miss personally, you could get in trouble.

I use an Ocean Prowler 13, very stable and good through the water, you'll be looking at approx £600-£800 2nd hand....

I'd advise spending a bit more if you can as you'll enjoy it more if your not battling too much...

Might be worth dropping Geth (white van man) a PM, he's in the know on kayaks mate.

Atb

Kev

• Like 3

Thanks Kev, so am I right in thinking long and narrow is what I'm after for the sea? My inflatable is great for what I use it for but I know it well enough to know I'd hate it on the sea here! What kind of fishing do you do off yours? The whole sea fishing thing is new to me to be honest

It's a compromise really mate, you want stability but the wider and shorter the more drag and harder to paddle, your size and weight play a part though, you don't want to be sat on something and be unstable and roll over....

Mine is longer and thinner than some of the cheaper types, but it has secondary stability which is an aid in preventing you rolling over....

as far as fishing they are very versatile, from mackerel bashing to flicking lures or live eels around for bass, great for getting into places that are too shallow or dangerous for a boat, tight to headlands or over shallow reefs, boulders etc...

use them in the estuary for bass and flounder, drifting for plaice, hooked and bought a tope alongside in Guernsey few years back, that was a bit twitchy ass time though it was a big fish 6-7 ft and looked massive against the kayak... lucky it shed the hook as it came alongside lol...

There's loads you can do on them mate, between us we've had some nice fish over the last few years and you get a bit of fitness in too!!

• Like 2

As Kev said before he had to throw the tope story at us again......

Depends on your ability, how far, fast you want to paddle. The longer/thinner kayaks will get you there faster, but tend to be more unstable and harder to turn if you need to turn quick. The shorter wider kayaks are stable and quick to turn but can be hard work if you have a fair paddle to a fishing spot. Worth renting one for an hour and trying them out. All kayaks will be pushed about by tide and wind. The longer ones will punch through easier. Inflatables sit high out of the water so wind is a bigger problem.

If you are buying one then a rod holder is a must. Two options really:

1. Buy a beginner one and get confident then sell on and buy a more advanced one

2. Buy a fairly advanced one and get used to it. You might tip over a few times so go out a few times without any equipment.

Geth

Edited by white van man
  • Like 1

As Kev said before he had to throw the tope story at us again......

Depends on your ability, how far, fast you want to paddle. The longer/thinner kayaks will get you there faster, but tend to be more unstable and harder to turn if you need to turn quick. The shorter wider kayaks are stable and quick to turn but can be hard work if you have a fair paddle to a fishing spot. Worth renting one for an hour and trying them out. All kayaks will be pushed about by tide and wind. The longer ones will punch through easier. Inflatables sit high out of the water so wind is a bigger problem.

If you are buying one then a rod holder is a must. Two options really:

1. Buy a beginner one and get confident then sell on and buy a more advanced one

2. Buy a fairly advanced one and get used to it. You might tip over a few times so go out a few times without any equipment.

Geth

Well after your silly tope comments you've actually managed to put together a well thought out and informative reply.... well done Geth, I knew you could do it..... lol

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice lads. Fancy swapping a day out later in the year? I can offer deer stalking, bushing, ferreting, lamping etc in Sussex for a bit of fishing? Am I right in thinking you are down Devon way?

• Like 3