Beagle X Big Land

FKOF

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've hunted a number of pure beagles on rabbit pest control & found a terrier x beagle to suit my needs better .I have 3 of this cross ,they stick like glue once they put up a rabbit in heavy cov

Why don't you lot chill out and. Feed some bull x beagles, you'll be ok then. Bugger me you lot over complicate stuff.

Spaniel/beagles are the way forward with a good man behind the dog there unstopable and a pleasure to watch work.   Spaniel terriers are great ditching dogs but cant live with the spaniel/beagles wh

Posted Images

Interesting post squab, I find the terrier spaniel beagles, will range in big covers and also work hedgerows in front of you nicely till they get on a scent, they don't travel like a pure hound and usually loose them after a field or two depending on scent and can be called back easy enough.

sounds perfect for what you do mate, but even travelling for a field or two is already to far for my needs lol

True it's what we need ?

Maybe so, I'm not doubting that there's not a need/use for begal blood in a busher. I bet there's lads out there wth beagle blooded bushers that are as well behaved as full spaniels and don't range out to far ....I suppose having that extra scenting ability of the beagle would be a benifit in large thick heavy cover as long as it didn't range out to far .....and knowing my luck I'd end up with one that was deaf as a post when on scent lol ...

Squad how much beagle blood did that black bitch of squirrels have in the one that Fox pack took on for a bit ? Didn't he have a problem with that going deaf on scent ?? I might be wrong so apologies in advance

no tilly never went death I let foxpack tack her to see if she would hunt to suit him as I had two young dogs on the time she never hunted to his style so a lad bought her showed her work very pleased with her so she went to a good home and I would have her back post-102035-0-00106200-1483033419_thumb.jpg

very steady bitch hunted spaniel style

• Like 2

Lets face is, good, hard hunting beagle blood, although it can be used in bramble patches and hedges, comes into its own when you want to run something a bit further, or something a bit bigger, and they pack well.

Best dogs I've seen for closer quarters have been terriers or terrier x's.

But i'm talking 3/4 beagle etc types.

• Like 1

Maybe so, I'm not doubting that there's not a need/use for begal blood in a busher. I bet there's lads out there wth beagle blooded bushers that are as well behaved as full spaniels and don't range out to far ....I suppose having that extra scenting ability of the beagle would be a benifit in large thick heavy cover as long as it didn't range out to far .....and knowing my luck I'd end up with one that was deaf as a post when on scent lol ...

Squad how much beagle blood did that black bitch of squirrels have in the one that Fox pack took on for a bit ? Didn't he have a problem with that going deaf on scent ?? I might be wrong so apologies in advance

no tilly never went death I let foxpack tack her to see if she would hunt to suit him as I had two young dogs on the time she never hunted to his style so a lad bought her showed her work very pleased with her so she went to a good home and I would have her back attachicon.giflilly today.jpg

very steady bitch hunted spaniel style

No worries , my mistake ..looks like she made a nice solid type

I got a beagle spaniel bitch I bought in handy bitch, good voice works really well. Only problem I have is she don't go far enough, i wish I'd of had her from a pup she's a good bitch. I'm going to put her to my old dog as he's done a lot of graft knows his job and move her on to someone who don't want to hunt as far as me.

So not all of them are the same.

Edited by FKOF

I got a beagle spaniel bitch I bought in handy bitch, good voice works really well. Only problem I have is she don't go far enough, i wish I'd of had her from a pup she's a good bitch. I'm going to put her to my old dog as he's done a lot of graft knows his job and move her on to someone who don't want to hunt as far as me.

So not all of them are the same.

Like owt else, dogs can throw to different sides. I know two pat x cockers. . . . one is a cocker and the other a pat. . . . .

• Like 2

True mate but if I had her from a pup she'd be hunting more to my style but that's just the way it goes. She's a very good bitch and bred well, the old dogs never been bred from so atleast I can get something back from him and keep a pup and turn it into what I want.

Edited by FKOF

True mate but if I had her from a pup she'd be hunting more to my style but that's just the way it goes. She's a very good bitch and bred well, the old dogs never been bred from so atleast I can get something back from him and keep a pup and turn it into what I want.

How far do you like yours to travel ? Genuine question, do you work mainly big open land with lots of cover or hedgerow ditches etc etc . How far does the bitch travel

Basically they work infront of me mate soon as they get on a Charlie there away then, they come back soon as they've lost him, the bitch works similar but don't stray as far soon as there on I just leave them to it but the bitch always comes back first and don't stay on the scent as long as my other dog.

• Like 1

Basically they work infront of me mate soon as they get on a Charlie there away then, they come back soon as they've lost him, the bitch works similar but don't stray as far soon as there on I just leave them to it but the bitch always comes back first and don't stay on the scent as long as my other dog.

how far does she go mate .1 field 2 field ? Do you think having more beagle in her would take her out further or do you think it is because who ever had her befor kept her in closer or could it be that she has thrown more to the spaniel style of working there for staying closer ?