Best Scope For A 223

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Agree with Charlie Caller, for the money you can't beat Nikon   I have a .223 and use a Nikon monarch and it's incredibly clear. Unless your prepared to spend Swarovski, S&B, Leica money in my

Forget Hawke mate and buy a Nikon, you will not regret it, and wonder why you never did it in the past.

I have a Hawke on my 223 not through choice but I'm on a budget, but it was zeroed 18 months ago maybe longer, and still shooting foxes out to 250 yards no problem, If I ever manage to save a few Bob

beggars belief hawk and vortex are advised when you can get a second hand leupold for that .as we speak i know a second hand 6.5x20 with target turrets 30mm tube and growlers gonads glass for that ?????

Funnily enough i have tried looking through several leupolds and can never get them focused sharply, just don't suit my eyes i guess. I do like meopta scopes though and the minox i have.

The monarch I had came with the original purchase receipt from a Nikon dealer (can't remember who off the top of my head) and their shop price label still on the box.

It is highly, highly unlikely it was a fake.

Any number of possibilities, the guy could have been dishonest and bought the genuine article, then bought a cheap copy, kept the genuine one and sold the copy in the genuine box on ebay as genuine to recover some of his purchase price from the genuine, Or someone could have done it to him and he simply sold it on, Or he could have bought it honestly from a dealer and the dealer got stung with a batch of fakes, Or it could just be a bad batch of genuine from the factory. However, whatever the cause, poor glass on a Nikon is rarely heard of.

Quite right Alsone, as I have said before,they do make perhaps the finest cameras in the world, I have a pair of pretty much bottom of the range Nikon binos, and they are fantastic,I have looked through binos costing three times more, that are not as good,(to my eyes anyway) its Nikon for me everytime, but as with everything, there will always be folk with a less than good experience, for whatever reason.

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong chaps, it wasn't 'bad' it just did nothing that far cheaper scopes didn't do and I was expecting something noticeable for shelling out on a scope with an rrp nearly 4x that of what it was replacing.

If it was fake, someone went to a hell of a lot of trouble for very little gain.

Was I just expecting too much from it? Possibly

Was I disappointed? Definetely

Would I buy a other? Nope.

Would I still buy Nikon camera lenses? Yes

Agree with Charlie Caller, for the money you can't beat Nikon

I have a .223 and use a Nikon monarch and it's incredibly clear. Unless your prepared to spend Swarovski, S&B, Leica money in my opinion Nikon is the next best.

I've even compared with Leuopold when I was in the states and I think the Nikon is much brighter

This is of course only my opinion, I've not had much to do with Hawke as I've never considered these as a centre fire rifle scope

• Like 2

Look at with a Leupold VX 1, that's the Ford Focus end of that brand, I had one on a .270 took the recoil with ease and did me

well, it's on my airgun these days 20 years old and still going strong, around £250>275 new, I now have several VX 3's and a VXr.

Splendid stuff Leupold all the way here.

Bought mine in the USA when on holiday, roughly £ here = $ there so about 60% of UK retail.

Look at with a Leupold VX 1, that's the Ford Focus end of that brand, I had one on a .270 took the recoil with ease and did me

well, it's on my airgun these days 20 years old and still going strong, around £250>275 new, I now have several VX 3's and a VXr.

Splendid stuff Leupold all the way here.

Bought mine in the USA when on holiday, roughly £ here = $ there so about 60% of UK retail.

Just don't try and do it now... It could end badly for you if you try to bring anything over 4x mag back!

• 3 weeks later...

Bushy elite 6500. Had mine a few years now. Used mostly at night under a lamp, but good enough to see contrast when silage is cut for foxes on a clear night. Haven't had to adjust zero in as long as I can remember.

Funnily enough, people saying about hawke scopes. I've got an old pro stalk. It's been on everything cf rf air rifles over the years. Oldest scope I own and still going strong.

It's all down to budget and personal preference. I can't get on with anything with adjustable objective and I'm not keen on zoom lenses. I prefer a decent quality fixed mag. I always get a nice clear sight picture through them.

As for price, all my scopes have been bought second hand, so not a fortune. I have a 6x42 on one of my rimmies, and 8x56 on my 223 and 308. I've managed to shoot a 10" target at 465 yards with that on my 308, and as I shoot at mostly half that distance, I don't see the need for any more mag.

That's just me though.

• 1 month later...