Best Scope For A 223

For hunting use out to sensible (read sub 300 yard) ranges I would go for 4-16x mag, 30mm tube and 50mm+ front lens depending on what models are available. I have had 20 / 24 mag scopes before but have always found I never needed or wanted to go above 16 as they become very parallax fussy, you get a tiny depth of field and field of view and at 24x any slight wobble is magnified to the point that you feel like your trying to shoot in an earthquake!

Most important for me is decent aim points (if you don't dial) and a thin enough ret that allows you to place a shot where you want it without blocking out 1/2 a bunny at 200 yards.

I've got a couple of scopes I really like with a target dot style ret but the dot makes accurate paper punching impossible at range as it covers 2" at 6x mag at about 100 yards.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Agree with Charlie Caller, for the money you can't beat Nikon   I have a .223 and use a Nikon monarch and it's incredibly clear. Unless your prepared to spend Swarovski, S&B, Leica money in my

Forget Hawke mate and buy a Nikon, you will not regret it, and wonder why you never did it in the past.

I have a Hawke on my 223 not through choice but I'm on a budget, but it was zeroed 18 months ago maybe longer, and still shooting foxes out to 250 yards no problem, If I ever manage to save a few Bob

Well I have a prostaff on my .243 my pal has a S&B on his rifle, comparing the two in low light etc, it is difficult to tell them apart, it makes me laugh comparing a hawke scope to a Nikon is like comparing a ford Mondeo with a Merc,I am not saying the Hawke scopes are bad, I have had one or two nice ones, but they are not in the same league.

Yep.

Currently have a mk4 Mondeo, wouldn't want to own or even just drive my dad's last car (a merc) on a daily basis because it's a heap of crap that breaks down all the time, costs a fortune to fix and wasn't even as comfy to sit in or well equipped for the extra £8k purchase price!

Genuinely, I dont see how you say the 2 aren't comparable. The monarch I had might have just been duff, or not suited to my eye but it is genuinely one of the worst scopes I have ever owned when you look at it on a bang for buck basis.

I would much, much rather have my old phillilino Simmons aetec back to another monarch. The Nikon wasn't bad exactly, just for the cost of it, it was worse or no better compared side by side against newer 'budget' or older half decent (but still relatively budget) glass.

Shame really as the build quality was lovely - it was just not a good performer in any aspect compared to every other scope I own, or have owned in the past.

Your findings do not tally with mine, or indeed quite a few end users I know,lets not forget Nikon make arguably the finest camera lenses in the world, so should know a thing or two about glass, are you sure it was a genuine Nikon you bought and not a sneid copy, I will repeat, comparing Hawke products to Nikon is a joke, but of course I respect your opinion.

Bought a Vortex Viper post 6-24x50 EBR-1 for my 223 and I love it. You might be able to pick one up secondhand with your budget, perhaps a smidge more. Shouldn't worry you though, they come with an unconditional, transferable, lifetime guarantee

Bought a Vortex Viper post 6-24x50 EBR-1 for my 223 and I love it. You might be able to pick one up secondhand with your budget, perhaps a smidge more. Shouldn't worry you though, they come with an unconditional, transferable, lifetime guarantee

Bought the Vortex viper myself Elliot, I use mine on a 6.5x55 excellent scope, coupled with the warranty and after sales service Vortex are fantastic value, so much so in my opinion I have just ordered another one a Vortex Crossfire ll 4-12-50 for my .222

I lost one of my turret caps after a zeroing session, I phoned Vortex and asked where I could purchase another one, they took my name and address 5 days later I received 2 new turret caps free of charge including delivery. They know how to look after customers.

Bought the Vortex viper myself Elliot, I use mine on a 6.5x55 excellent scope, coupled with the warranty and after sales service Vortex are fantastic value, so much so in my opinion I have just ordered another one a Vortex Crossfire ll 4-12-50 for my .222

I lost one of my turret caps after a zeroing session, I phoned Vortex and asked where I could purchase another one, they took my name and address 5 days later I received 2 new turret caps free of charge including delivery. They know how to look after customers.

That's interesting. I had the same experience with the battery cap for the illuminated reticule. Emailed customer services to ask where I can get one from and a new one arrived from America in the post, FOC. Can't get much better. Great scope too

That's interesting. I had the same experience with the battery cap for the illuminated reticule. Emailed customer services to ask where I can get one from and a new one arrived from America in the post, FOC. Can't get much better. Great scope too

So Elliot next time you want a quality scope at sensible prices where do you go ? Easy choice huh.

A lad I used to shoot with needed to daisy chain 2 sunshades to stop his ir shining back off the mod.

Emailed vortex to ask where to get one in the UK and they shipped one foc. That wasn't for replacement in the event of loss or breakage it was a genuine sales enquiry!

Extremely good company to deal with coupled with products that seem to perform well. I've got a diamondback on my fac rapid and its very nicely made and perfectly clear.

Your findings do not tally with mine, or indeed quite a few end users I know,lets not forget Nikon make arguably the finest camera lenses in the world, so should know a thing or two about glass, are you sure it was a genuine Nikon you bought and not a sneid copy, I will repeat, comparing Hawke products to Nikon is a joke, but of course I respect your opinion.

I bought it based on reviews I read online and was thoroughly disappointed.

Definitely genuine, box, booklet, receipt of sale, spare turrets etc. (luckily I bought it second hand so only took a 60 quid hit on the piece of crap!)

It is perfectly reasonable to compare it side by side against a hawke as they perform the same task and to say otherwise is nonsense.

This £400+ Nikon scope sadly did nothing better than a £125 hawke, mtc mamba or £100 fox did to my (and 3 of my mates) eyes.

Maybe it was a Friday afternoon job, but good glass should be good glass and this was simply mediocre and overpriced IMHO and I won't waste my own money on a Nikon scope again.

i've had four hawke panoramas. 4 - 12 x 50 very good light transmitting for budget scopes especially with gen 1 nv add on. and useful half mill dots.

had a 3 - 9 x 40 panorama not nearly as good in low light at the 50's.

panoramas better low light transmission than the mtc mambers and viper with gen 1 add on when i tried them.

the only thing i found with one of the hawke scopes if the gun bag was knock in transit it would loose zero. for this reason i tried nikon monarch 3-12x42 with gen 1 add on nv. i would say the nikon glass is clearer and the light transmit ion is better than panorama.

now i am considering selling my last panorama scope and replacing with my 3rd nikon monarch because they are light weight, compact, reliable wind elevation adjustments, hold zero very well, excellent glass good low light gathering even with the 42 objective. at 6 x mag or less the 42 and 50 objective nikon lenses do the same job and the 42's can be mounted closer to the bore.

i believe nikon make very good quality scopes. but the hawke sidewinder half mill dot i had was a good all round scope. and if your on a budget your on a budget.

for me nikon scopes have the edge if money is no object.

hawke customer service is good.

I bought it based on reviews I read online and was thoroughly disappointed.

Definitely genuine, box, booklet, receipt of sale, spare turrets etc. (luckily I bought it second hand so only took a 60 quid hit on the piece of crap!)

Or maybe it was fake....I rarely if ever, come and read here, never mind post, but thought I'd back up Charlie here. Nikon's are usually optically far superior to the budget end of the market.

Think you don't have a fake because it had the box, booklet, spares etc? Take a look at this video - on the left, genuine Beats Headphones, on the right fakes. OK headphones, but the principles and often level of faking these days is the same:

If you buy from an unknown source, you simply don't know what you're getting, and unless an expert, will probably never know the difference. Maybe the guy you bought it from bought it cheap, realised he'd bought a fake and so simply sold it on.

I too have never heard anyone describe Nikon lens as a piece of crap. They're usually crystal clear.

• Like 1