Fac License

If you have had your ticket 10 years surely its an open ticket?? If so its down to you if you think the lands suitable

Generally correct. But if a FEO has deemed a piece of land unsuitable for anything above .17 hmr and you knowingly used a larger caliber, even with an open ticket, you are treading on thin ice.

I don't normally disagree with you, but that's definitely incorrect. With an open ticket you can shoot where YOU deem safe (with permission of course). What the FEO deems safe is irrelevant, :thumbs:

The conditions on your FAC clearly state this.

I'm talking about land which a FEO has visited and dreamed unsafe for a specific caliber. Try it, shoot on a permission you know a FEO has deamed unsafe for a specific caliber. I had a permission that a FEO cleared for .22lr but not .17 HMR this was noted during his visit. I now have .223 on an open ticket, but would not use it there as I've been informed it's unsuitable. If seen using my .223 I'm sure I'd be in court arguing with regards to loosing my ticket, and getting nowhere

Not being funny mate, but have you had your FAC long? It's just a lot of new shooters say things like that. I've had mine 20 years and you seem to have the wrong end of the stick. 100% wrong. No offence.

• Like 1

If you have had your ticket 10 years surely its an open ticket?? If so its down to you if you think the lands suitable

Generally correct. But if a FEO has deemed a piece of land unsuitable for anything above .17 hmr and you knowingly used a larger caliber, even with an open ticket, you are treading on thin ice.

I don't normally disagree with you, but that's definitely incorrect. With an open ticket you can shoot where YOU deem safe (with permission of course). What the FEO deems safe is irrelevant, :thumbs:

Try it, shoot on a permission you know a FEO has deamed unsafe for a specific caliber. I had a permission that a FEO cleared for .22lr but not .17 HMR this was noted during his visit. I now have .223 on an open ticket, but would not use it there as I've been informed it's unsuitable. If seen using my .223 I'm sure I'd be in court arguing with regards to loosing my ticket, and getting nowhere

So what you're saying is that an open ticket is the same as a closed one?

I'd happily try it, like when I shot many foxes in my 60ft garden in suburbia with my rimfire. i'm sure he FEO wouldn't have cleared that for any calibre at all. They don't tell you what calibres are unsafe otherwise they'd have to include everything up to an elephant gun. They tell you what they think the land is suitable for.

My FAC clearly says I can shoot any lawful quarry on land I have lawful authority to shoot on. End of conditions. It doesn't say depending on your FEO's opinion.

Check with your firearms team what the law is, :thumbs:

I understand what you are saying. But if your FEO knock on your door and specifically said your actions were deamed inappropriate I for one may well argue, but to go against a FEO to me that would be a bad choice.

Try it, shoot on a permission you know a FEO has deamed unsafe for a specific caliber. I had a permission that a FEO cleared for .22lr but not .17 HMR this was noted during his visit. I now have .223 on an open ticket, but would not use it there as I've been informed it's unsuitable. If seen using my .223 I'm sure I'd be in court arguing with regards to loosing my ticket, and getting nowhere

I'd happily try it, like when I shot many foxes in my 60ft garden in suburbia with my rimfire. i'm sure he FEO wouldn't have cleared that for any calibre at all. They don't tell you what calibres are unsafe otherwise they'd have to include everything up to an elephant gun. They tell you what they think the land is suitable for.

My FAC clearly says I can shoot any lawful quarry on land I have lawful authority to shoot on. End of conditions. It doesn't say depending on your FEO's opinion.

I understand what you are saying. But if your FEO knock on your door and specifically said your actions were deamed inappropriate I for one may well argue, but to go against a FEO to me that would be a bad choice.

He could deem them as inappropriate as he wanted. (Not that I would imagine he would say that). I'd be abiding by the conditions on my FAC so he could stick his opinion.

Saw a programme on the box a pest controller in London he baited the back gardens and sat upstairs in the house and shot down to kill the foxes if i rember right he shot two and they where touching when they where dead , you can bet he just had a open cert and the FAO didnt check every garden

• 2 weeks later...

I'm talking about land which a FEO has visited and dreamed unsafe for a specific caliber. Try it, shoot on a permission you know a FEO has deamed unsafe for a specific caliber. I had a permission that a FEO cleared for .22lr but not .17 HMR this was noted during his visit. I now have .223 on an open ticket, but would not use it there as I've been informed it's unsuitable. If seen using my .223 I'm sure I'd be in court arguing with regards to loosing my ticket, and getting nowhere

David, I have an open ticket, have had it now for 20 years. The last time my renewal was due I put down a certain land, and was informed by the FEO that the land was not passed for any other calibers other than .22 rimfire and 17 hmr. I informed him of what he already knew, that I had been shooting fox on there for years with a 6.5x55, I know he said, but thats you deeming the land suitable to shoot on as the licence holder, the land does not have to be passed Its your call to deem it suitable, but if you want your licence renewed for large calibers find some land passed for that calibre and then you can shoot were you deem to be suitable.

The open ticket is coming common practice now to put the onus on the shooter

you need to have 'good reason' for any rifle you want to to possess.

In the case of club / target rifles they won't give you a 223 or a 308 if your club only has an indoor range passed for lr or pistol calibre centrefire. Likewise, if you do not have a plot of land passed for 223, you do not have 'good reason' for a 223.

Typically, forces tend to clear for rimfire, 22 centrefire and then above that is usually based on the specific calibre you are asking for (they won't clear for 338 lap mag if you only want to use a 243!)

Things that can turn rimfire cleared land into viable centrefire land is the addition of a couple of high seats. Specifying fox control from a high seat may get you that 22 centrefire clearance on the condition it is from a high seat.

If your 223 is on an open slot, it is then down to your judgement to say if a shot taken on any piece of land is safe. Feo land clearance doesn't come into it. If you pull the trigger, you and only you will have to defend your shot in court if things go tits up and this is the case if you were shooting a 223 on land only cleared for rimfire or even shooting legal limit air rifles on land cleared for a 270.

Primarily, It all boils down to good reason. If you don't have a plot of land cleared for 223 they won't give you a 223 or a 222 on it as they are largely the same. The best thing to do is ask for the land to be reassessed for centrefire as I know some forces will only clear land for what you have asked for (I had one farm passed for rimfire as that was all I had on my ticket at the time, it was only when I told them my shooting buddy wanted to use his 223 on there that they upped it to 22 centrefire)

The slightly daft part is that land cleared for 22 centrefire gives you the option of anything from a 22 hornet (essentially a wmr on steroids!) to a 22-250. Big, big difference in speed and muzzle energy.

Rubbish, if you have an open ticket, it does not matter one jot, what its been passed for, or not, the onus is on you the shooter to deem the shot safe, to the op, if he says its not suitable for .223 then you wont get .222 they are virtually the same round, my advice is to check your other ground or get some more passed for the .22 centre fire,or book some stalking on say Muntjac, apply for a .222 etc use it on deer for a while until your ticket is opened, then use it wherever you like (obviously with permission, and where safe).

:laugh::laugh: :laugh:

As others have said an Open (or Unrestricted as they seem to prefer these days) is just that, the choice is yours.

A FEO can say what he likes, its your FAC status and conditions that count.

Have a nice 2017.

:thumbs:

PS

I don't quite follow the OP here, does he have an Open FAC or not?

Try it, shoot on a permission you know a FEO has deamed unsafe for a specific caliber. I had a permission that a FEO cleared for .22lr but not .17 HMR this was noted during his visit. I now have .223 on an open ticket, but would not use it there as I've been informed it's unsuitable. If seen using my .223 I'm sure I'd be in court arguing with regards to loosing my ticket, and getting nowhere ABSOLUTE NONSENSE

David, without sounding patronising or coming across as pedantic, you say your FAC is open? And you have read it? It clearly puts to bed your argument or your FEO'S opinions. The FEO is there to abide by the current laws and pass them on accordingly, he may well have an opinion, but he should be sticking to the law and guidances and keep his personal opinions to himself. :thumbs: ATB.......Del

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi I'm looking at other places to see if can get passed

Where abouts on ticket does it say it's an open ticket at gun shop told me I ad an open ticket on my first one but Carnt see it on my ticket all I can see is land deemed suitable by chief officer

It doesn't say open or closed on the ticket but "Land deemed suitable by Chief Officer" makes it a closed ticket.

The difference is that land may not be "generally suitable" whatever that means, for a particular calibre, but specific shots with that calibre can be perfectly safe.

So i you have an open ticket and only ever take well thought out, safe shots you don't have a problem wherever you shoot.

Conversely even if land is certified for .50 BMG, shooting even a 22LR directly into the air can lose you your license, or a lot worse.

It is ALWAYS your responsibility to shoot safely, even with a catapult or water pistol.

• Like 1