Unpredictable Demon Of A Jill

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, I have made a bit if breakthrough with this jill. I'm feeding her tiny bits if meat out of my fingers. She is longer grabbing my fingers and this is great because instead of just latching onto

Firstly I wouldn't be breeding off it for starters, I had a kit this years bred handled twice a day every day but no matter what I did all it wanted to do was bite needless to say we parted company, i

This only really works if they have a play area - a run or a room that they don't have access to all the time. A treat playtime area of sorts, that they only get access to for a limited time a day or so.

Keep a cat carrier or carry box handy and have all the ferrets out for a romp. Get in with them and make it look as fun as possible. If she bites for whatever reason, lock her in the carrier for 3-5 minutes. Helps if she can see the other ferrets having a blast without her. After shes served her time, manually take her out and let her join the fun... but if she bites again, back in. The standard jail term that is used on humans. It clicks eventually. But you will need to take the bites to do it.

NEVER READ OWT AS DAFT AS THIS IN MY LIFE

What's your method?

Lads we all have our ways and ZeusPolecat you have a good point and I know what you mean. I found this clip and although I am not gonna use a clicker as it has no use in my world of working ferrets but I like the idea of just letting the jill go mental on a glove til it realises biting is a waste of time. I'll replace the clicker noise in this clip with my own voice. The ferret in this clio is a bit emaciated as my jill has 5 times the fire and about 3 times the weight but the glove is a great way of diffusing that aggression. but as they say, the glove has to come off sometime.

Some lads will just knock a jill like mine on the head but things like trying to break a ferret make my mundane day interesting and once I find a way to win her over then I will have the fun of working her and breeding her.

Here is the clip:

The method I suggested was to suit your non physical preference. If you let them out in the kitchen then it will work. May take a fortnight to see changes.

Using your voice while using the method I suggested will in the long run teach them to understand what you want. A stern 'no' works for me.

A ferret will learn what a glove is. Gloves are used to teach fearful animals that it's safe to be touched. Assuming yours isn't attacking out of fear, it won't help.

• Like 1

That is the worst kind of failure, you use the word cull by which you mean spade. How would I get my kicks on non-hunting days if I didn't have this jill, she is a great test of bravery everyday when trying to lift out the metal dish with my barehands but there is a question still unanswered. What shaped such a great looking jill to behave this way, lack of handling from her former home and fear is my guess.

Attempting to handle this jill is a great part of my day. I get to see the real fire, speed and bite force of a ferret and while I enjoy handling my 10 other ferrets going to the Demon is the best fun as I have to be quick. Its like owning a rattlesnake. I bet ya if I win this jill over she'd be the one I would be most gutted over if lost.

Thats the problem when things are cheap, young lads don't appreciate it because its so easy to go buy another. But all good ferreters can remember that 1 jill or dog which outperformed all the rest. That one they lost after staying for hours at the burrow to see if it would emerge but didn't.

That is the worst kind of failure, you use the word cull by which you mean spade. How would I get my kicks on non-hunting days if I didn't have this jill, she is a great test of bravery everyday when trying to lift out the metal dish with my barehands but there is a question still unanswered. What shaped such a great looking jill to behave this way, lack of handling from her former home and fear is my guess.

Attempting to handle this jill is a great part of my day. I get to see the real fire, speed and bite force of a ferret and while I enjoy handling my 10 other ferrets going to the Demon is the best fun as I have to be quick. Its like owning a rattlesnake. I bet ya if I win this jill over she'd be the one I would be most gutted over if lost.

Thats the problem when things are cheap, young lads don't appreciate it because its so easy to go buy another. But all good ferreters can remember that 1 jill or dog which outperformed all the rest. That one they lost after staying for hours at the burrow to see if it would emerge but didn't.

well shut up then and crack on with her!
  • Like 2

Its okay saying handle her spend time on her its dark when you go to work dark when you get home days off should be spent working the ferret handling her is a job best left for the summer whos going to run a jill they cant work on till then ?. somebodys got to stand up and say times up

• Like 2

well shut up then and crack on with her!

?

Now I've heard it all ?

Old trick I was taught was to get hold of her so she can't bite, then put saliva on your other hands knuckle, then move in closer so she has a chance to sniff, then lick or bite, if she goes to bite flick her nose, but once she tastes the saliva it's like crack for ferrets, keep doing it until she learns hands are not for biting. It can take some time but I've never had it fail. All my ferrets will climb up me for a bit of saliva, it's great for getting then to bond with you. None of my ferrets bite.

• Like 2

This only really works if they have a play area - a run or a room that they don't have access to all the time. A treat playtime area of sorts, that they only get access to for a limited time a day or so. Keep a cat carrier or carry box handy and have all the ferrets out for a romp. Get in with them and make it look as fun as possible. If she bites for whatever reason, lock her in the carrier for 3-5 minutes. Helps if she can see the other ferrets having a blast without her. After shes served her time, manually take her out and let her join the fun... but if she bites again, back in. The standard jail term that is used on humans. It clicks eventually. But you will need to take the bites to do it.

NEVER READ OWT AS DAFT AS THIS IN MY LIFE
Speaking from experience, this method ZuesPolecat has mentioned is rather effective so shut up and don't be a disrespectful arse.
  • Like 1