there was a little talk about this on another post so not to high jack it whats everyones opinon. i have hunted with dogs from 8 to 20 lb but what seems to work best for what i hunt coon and groundhogs but we dig and hunt what ever in in the ground or barns and hay is a dog 10 to 13 in and no bigger than 15lb with 12 to 13 being ideal

What is this obsession with weighing dogs? Surely it's how the dog is put together that will have a bearing on how it works?

The type I keep and like are not overly big dogs, but there solid and won't get pushed around. But I have no idea what they weigh.

• Like 3

What is this obsession with weighing dogs? Surely it's how the dog is put together that will have a bearing on how it works?

The type I keep and like are not overly big dogs, but there solid and won't get pushed around. But I have no idea what they weigh.

its a pit bull man obession
  • Like 2

well over here we don't have the luxury of not caring about size a 10 in 20lbs dog would be to big around to get to ground a 15 in 16lb dog may get in some short shallow sets but won't work in many do to twists and turns and you end up dropping a lot of holes to help the dog get there so that's the difference on your side it doesn't matter here it does now out where the dig nutria it doesn't matter as they have bid sets or in barns

well over here we don't have the luxury of not caring about size a 10 in 20lbs dog would be to big around to get to ground a 15 in 16lb dog may get in some short shallow sets but won't work in many do to twists and turns and you end up dropping a lot of holes to help the dog get there so that's the difference on your side it doesn't matter here it does now out where the dig nutria it doesn't matter as they have bid sets or in barns

Like I said surely it doesn't matter what they weigh. Its the stamp of the dog that matters. There will be massive chesty dogs that won't weigh as much as a more compact strong but smaller type.

• Like 1

Every terrier man on here will be keeping terriers of a size to suit his or her preference .The fascination with size is short lived when you travel a bit and see dogs of very differing sizes do the same job .

Mental attitude far outweighs size in the must have stakes and runs side by side with constitution and fitness .

• Like 4