2016 Review

This year has been broken down into many parts with different commitments and projects, some very enjoyable and some a pain in the arse but on a shooting aspect the year has thrown up some very rewarding and interesting things.

I have done a little streamlining of my shotguns, moving on a couple that did not meet up to what I now require in my guns and adding a semi auto which a year ago, I would not have put into the frame at all but as my clay shooting and pigeon/corvid shooting have quite different demands and so my guns have, for the time being, changed to a point that I am reasonably happy with.

As for my air rifles, well that has been quite a learning curve introducing a springer into the equasion and very much opening my eyes to other guns apart from the HW100 that was the gun I regarded as 'the perfect gun'. It has to be said that the TX was not a marriage made in heaven for me to the point that Mac and Pianoman, Jimmy and Simon gave me the years of experience they have to try and put me on the right lines.

Even after the advice given, I just didn't get on with this gun and it stayed in the cupboard until recently when Charlie Caller, Tim came to the rescue and fitted a TBT kit along with some cleaning and polishing of internal parts.................................a new gun was born. The TX has lost that bloody awful muzzle flip and twangy recoil and is incredibly accurate and only today shooting at the indoor range the grouping is superb and what is more, it is me that is producing those very small groups, quite a surprise !!!

On New Years Day, I will become, on paper anyway, a pensioner as I hit my 65th birthday and with that in mind I decided to look at PCP guns in general as I do find my beautiful HW100KT Laminate stock and the superb MTC Genesis scope just too heavy to walk around with and when I fit the NV kit on, well enough is enough already.

The search was on in my mind at any rate and I made the decision to look at getting a lighter set up. At the same time my shotgun certificate was due for renewal so I also applied for an FAC in order to get into a higher powered air rifle. This was another aspect to air rifle shooting which interested me greatly. Now with a firearms certificate I was able to buy a Rapid MK2 28ft/lb and so a new chapter has started but is still in it's infancy.

Whilst looking at reducing the weight of my outfit, I bought 4 MTC Mamba Lite scopes both new and second hand as part of the process which I confess I am very happy with. To start off with I bought a BSA Ultra .177 with the intention of fitting a reg, longer cylinder and an Airtech tune but I put the brakes on that for a while as I didn't really want to blow a few hundred quid unless I was going to keep it.

All this year, I have had at the back of my mind, the FX Wildcat and the thought has been eating away at me. I had a few shots with one at the Game Fair which added fuel to my fire and then Si got one which tipped me over the edge.....................must get one to see if it is what I hoped it would be. A message from Si telling me that a s/h .22 was in his RFD was enough for me to jump in and buy it.

Now guns are a personal thing and what floats my boat may sink yours BUT I love this little gun, it feels great in the shoulder, fantastic balance, low weight and bloody accurate. The introduction of the Wildcat into my collection has made me question what to keep and what to sell..............we go full circle again.

Christmas is almost upon us so it is time to relax and enjoy the season whilst deciding which guns are to go as I will almost certainly be getting another Wildcat in .177 guise and possibly an FAC .22 version as well.

I will do a review of the Wildcat in the new year after I have done more pellet testing and hunting with it.

I would like to extend a thank you to Jimmy and Simon, great to meet you both and Tim for your help in turning a gun into something a bit special. There are a number of you I regard as a friend although we have not met but in some cases that I am sure will change before too long.

2016 is nearing it's close and plans / thoughts for 2017 are whizzing around in my mind but where it will land is not known although I do have a good idea.

Cheers boys

Phil

• Like 9

Very nice piece and very well written,I am just starting out in hunting/air sports and if by the time I hit 65 I still feel like you do I will be very pleased. I did pick up on one point am I right in thinking there are some airguns you need a lisence for?

Edited by slyspacewolf

So glad your now happy with the TX mate, I knew you would be, and let me say mate, it will get even better as those new components bed in, losing the twangy recoil and muzzle flip makes a big difference, they are an awesomely accurate spring rifle with a bit of a tweak, now get out and drop some quarry with it mate, and lets see the results in picture form :thumbs:

• Like 4

Happy to shoot targets with it for the time being Tim, fully occupied with the Rapid FAC and Wildcat at the moment but enjoying the TX now matey, bloody superb, many thanks for your time and know how.

Phil

Edited by philpot
  • Like 3

I'm with Jimmy when I too add, it was a pleasure to be of assistance to you Phil. Tim/Charlie Caller is a real mine of knowledge about setting up a spring rifle. so, if he's made any improvement at all to this TX200HC then, it must now be an incredible rifle to shoot with. :hmm::icon_eek:

I though it was one of the most accurate rifles I've ever shot with. Beautiful gun all round there. :thumbs:

• Like 2

Nearly called in a few weeks ago Simon as I passed your front door but time was against me otherwise I would have given you a call. It really does shoot far better than before Simon, it has to for me to produce the groups I did yesterday although it was only 25mt but nevertheless compared to groups of the past at this distance, there is a vast improvement for me at any rate............................It would be interesting to see what you thought of it now.

Phil

You must have deep pockets Phil as it sounds as if you have quite a collection, I used to have quite a few guns myself a few years back but found I was using the same couple of guns when I went out so sold most of them off. This got me thinking how many of us really need or use all the guns that we have

• Like 1

You must have deep pockets Phil as it sounds as if you have quite a collection, I used to have quite a few guns myself a few years back but found I was using the same couple of guns when I went out so sold most of them off. This got me thinking how many of us really need or use all the guns that we have

Very true although sometimes it is nice to own something which gives pleasure even though it may not get used so much.

Phil

Edited by philpot

Nice write up Phil :good:

Nice to see your getting on with the T Rex.

Now your getting the groups very tight take her out on some static hide shooting over the Primos mate.

Fantastic rifles.

atb

p.s. don`t forget the bus pass,- free travel and all that. :laugh:

p.p.s. Just thinking, :hmm: - you own a HW 100 :yes: . So you are a TW@T :yes: and a full blown member of the " Tw@t`s Club" :boogy: - so when you turn into a pensioner can we call you an owd T%@t ? :rofl:

"Only saying like" x

• Like 3