Keeping the dogs warm

Guest lurcherlamper

Guest john2007oliver

How do you keep your t hat are kenneled outside warm? Im looking for ways to improve the comfort for my dogs. Currently i've got shed with a square cut out the side with a run attached, i got a new pup which thought it was big and clever to piss and shit in side the shed. So today i put the kennel in the way of the square gap within the shed. I put a rubber sheet down to protect from damp and then stapled blankets to the roof and sides to further insulate. Then old clothes and sheets on top of the rubber to snuggle up to a bit more. The thing is, these keep getting damp so this must make it feel colder for the dogs. How do you go about stopping yours getting damp? Also how do you protect from the wind and rain? because now there right next to the hole so open to the elements. Might just be me being a big girl but its getting cold out :tongue2: and they have to sleep there.

So lets hear how you keep yours warm

John

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly make sure that the hatch/opening to the kennel isn't facing the prevailing wind and rain; then put a roof on the run: that will cut out a lot of the damp getting in and will also help your pup to go out to pee etc as it won't have to get rained on to do so. Half the problems with dogs pissing in their beds is because they get rained on when they go into an uncovered run. Common sense really LOL

Guest john2007oliver
Firstly make sure that the hatch/opening to the kennel isn't facing the prevailing wind and rain; then put a roof on the run: that will cut out a lot of the damp getting in and will also help your pup to go out to pee etc as it won't have to get rained on to do so. Half the problems with dogs pissing in their beds is because they get rained on when they go into an uncovered run. Common sense really LOL

I've got a roof lol its just lazy. On one side of my run is right up against a fence so no wind there. The opposite side theres a fence about 4 foot away and in front is a shed about 10 feet away lol But somehow the damp gets in there. Its like when you leave your clothes on the washing line over night and when you get up in the morning they are soaking type of damp lol To be hoenst its not even as though the pup doesn't like the rain, I've left the kennel door wide open during the day and looked out the window to see the pup wondering around in the rain looking for mischief then going back when its gets bored lol

Put an insulated sleeping box in one corner of the kennel, I have a converted shed that has been lined with ply for my Mastiff and she is fine in all weather, the sleeping box is made from thick ply with an inch gap between sheets, the gap was then stuffed tightly with straw and lid placed on the top.... I also use shredded personal documents ans newspaper for bedding, lol....

Pic of the opening

P3244458.jpg

P1194407.jpg

PC290029.jpg

PC290024.jpg

Edited by ghostlyease
Guest john2007oliver
Put an insulated sleeping box in one corner of the kennel, I have a converted shed that has been lined with ply for my Mastiff and she is fine in all weather, the sleeping box is made from thick ply with an inch gap between sheets, the gap was then stuffed tightly with straw and lid placed on the top.... I also use shredded personal documents ans newspaper for bedding, lol....

Pic of the opening

P3244458.jpg

P1194407.jpg

PC290029.jpg

PC290024.jpg

I can't do that because the pup keeps pissing and shitting in the shed. Its a nice set up you have though.

How much are heat lamps and are they not a fire hazard?

brick biult out house. bed 2 foot of the ground with duvets on. also heat lamp , wich just latly has not been off at all. i also have an upright fan heater in there if its realy cold.

you cant beet keeping them warm after they have been out working as mine have today.

heres a pic

coursing71207004.jpg

Edited by TOMO

NICE Tomo, those dogs look happy and content. My dogs live indoors, but at work (boarding kennels) we use the lamps like you have there over the dogs's beds. We used to use the "Kelwood" bar heaters, they were very expensive, about £65 ten years ago, lasted forever, think I still have one somewhere. They were on the wall types, which was why we changed to the infra red bulb lamps, we could move them up and down on a chain according to which type of dog was in the kennel, but the Kelwoods chuck out more heat, and secured on a wall I still feel are far better.

Dawn.