Counterfeit Fenn Vs A Real Fenn - Action Video

Not having done my home work properly, I inadvertantly bought a fake Fenn Mk4 from someone in the Midlands. This guy turns out to be a regular trickster with the way he markets his fake Fenn traps. He calls them Fens or Fen/Springer.

Anyway, the first thing I noticed was that the spring was nowhere near as strong as the real Fenn. So I tried it out over time and the fake made some kills but also some escapes.

Here is a video of the fake in action followed by the real Fenn Mark 4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zlga32KGRg

Have any of you had a similar experience?

Edited by Tomdhu

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was asked to offer my opinion on this matter, but decided to watch from the sidelines for a while ... but ... it seems it has run far enough now with some odd interpretations being expressed   On

If these are the ones at £86.55 for 10 then they are genuine Fenn Mark 4. Key points are:-   1. Big link chain that is but-welded. 2. Brass dog that is stamped with Patent Number. Also brass notch.

Yes,..I have seen many Rocky Horror Shows with weak traps that folk laughingly labeled, Humane Spring Traps,....and that is why I was determined to do something to hopefully address the problem... A

Yes,..I have seen many Rocky Horror Shows with weak traps that folk laughingly labeled, Humane Spring Traps,....and that is why I was determined to do something to hopefully address the problem... :yes:

A hunting man can get accidental foul catches with most styles of trap,...but, I am proud that I tried to limit such things... :thumbs:

• Like 2

Theres someone on flea bay knocking Fenns out at 10 for £86 posted,theyre stamped up as Fenn,I assume youre copies werent stamped?

Couldn't see the 10 for £86

If they are not stamped OR only stamped with "Mk4", avoid at all costs. Also don't buy from any one called Underwood - he is a regular purveyor of fakes - on Epay he lists under Xtrashock_uk and Atlantictanks. He also sells these fakes at game fairs. His activities have been curtailled recently since I started pestering Epay about these fakes. I have also released a guide to spotting fake Fenn and fake Magnum bodygrips.

The regular sellers on Epay who supply genuine ones are moorlandspoultry, itsareal1, opuk2008, the-trap-man, 2013betsieboo and pestuk0118.

• Like 2

Theres someone on flea bay knocking Fenns out at 10 for £86 posted,theyre stamped up as Fenn,I assume youre copies werent stamped?

If they are not stamped OR only stamped with "Mk4", avoid at all costs. Also don't buy from any one called Underwood - he is a regular purveyor of fakes - on Epay he lists under Xtrashock_uk and Atlantictanks. He also sells these fakes at game fairs. His activities have been curtailled recently since I started pestering Epay about these fakes. I have also released a guide to spotting fake Fenn and fake Magnum bodygrips.

The regular sellers on Epay who supply genuine ones are moorlandspoultry, itsareal1, opuk2008, the-trap-man, 2013betsieboo and pestuk0118.

Cheers mate,they are on there 10 for £85.66 posted just checked atb Dave

Ive bought some shite mole traps over the years, Ill be the first to admit.

I bought my first traps from killgerm when i started up and paid top dollar for them. I then bought some sh*t off ebay a couple of months after i realised id need a lot more than what i had bought ( i think i bought around 50 or so that first time), the ebay ones werent actually that bad, i then bought some from a local farm shop, now these made my p*ss boil cos they broke on the FIRST FROST!!!! ye you read that right, so i took them back. Ive also bought some talpex from ebay, i thought they were real and i was getting a bargain :icon_redface: , they were shockingly bad, half of them wouldnt even trigger!

I learned my lesson the hard way!!!!! Buy my duffus from flatpack now and buy original talpex. And those ones i bought from killgerm are still working after all these years. Anyone starting up and reading this, take my advice, buy decent gear. Its ssooooooo not worth buying copies and "saving" a couple of quid.

• Like 2

Ive bought some shite mole traps over the years, Ill be the first to admit.

I bought my first traps from killgerm when i started up and paid top dollar for them. I then bought some sh*t off ebay a couple of months after i realised id need a lot more than what i had bought ( i think i bought around 50 or so that first time), the ebay ones werent actually that bad, i then bought some from a local farm shop, now these made my p*ss boil cos they broke on the FIRST FROST!!!! ye you read that right, so i took them back. Ive also bought some talpex from ebay, i thought they were real and i was getting a bargain :icon_redface: , they were shockingly bad, half of them wouldnt even trigger!

I learned my lesson the hard way!!!!! Buy my duffus from flatpack now and buy original talpex. And those ones i bought from killgerm are still working after all these years. Anyone starting up and reading this, take my advice, buy decent gear. Its ssooooooo not worth buying copies and "saving" a couple of quid.

Same as lol,bought half a dozen "duffus" of ebay to get started,load of shite,regularly found them triggered and had clearly caught,butmoles had escaped,binned them lol.Got a few talpex type of there and they work spot on,Id be interested to see how they perform against a genuine talpex,will invest in a few when cash permits....

• Like 1

I have a couple of MkIV traps with "Keepa" stamped on them...

If you post a photo of one, I will let you know but, if they don't have a patent number on the brass dog then they are most probably imorted counterfeits. Another little pointer is the corners of the plate (tongue). If the corners are cut square, they are genuine Fenn. If the corners are slightly rounded, they are counterfeits.

All counterfeits are illegal to use under the Pests Act 1954. They have not been approved under Spring Traps Approval Order (2012) and anyone using a non-approved trap can be prosecuted.

Cheers mate,they are on there 10 for £85.66 posted just checked atb Dave

If these are the ones at £86.55 for 10 then they are genuine Fenn Mark 4. Key points are:-

1. Big link chain that is but-welded.

2. Brass dog that is stamped with Patent Number. Also brass notch.

3 Square corners on the plate

4. Plate is stamped A Fenn MARK 4 MADE IN ENGLAND

Gen%20Fenn%202_zps0lamvcbb.jpg

• Like 5

Chinese will replicate you if you stand still long enough,there's no intellectual property concept there,seen it many times,been in a couple of Chinese factories where they churned out well known brand copies,typical example,less than 2 US dollars for a fenn copy,easy enough to order and stick up on the bay,not taking the moral high or low ground,just saying it's what some people do.

https://cztianlida.en.alibaba.com/product/60182923352-0/Made_In_China_Genuine_FENN_Spring_Trap.html

All counterfeits are illegal to use under the Pests Act 1954. They have not been approved under Spring Traps Approval Order (2012) and anyone using a non-approved trap can be prosecuted.

Unless they are classed as clones.......then they are perfectly legal...

• Like 1

Here is the link to the "Approved List", and if they are not on that list, then they are illegal....

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2012/13/pdfs/uksi_20120013_en.pdf

• Like 1

Here is the link to the "Approved List", and if they are not on that list, then they are illegal....

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2012/13/pdfs/uksi_20120013_en.pdf

This is where the problem is.

If you read the bottom of the pdf

(Article 2 specifies approved traps, namely those listed in Column 1 of the Schedule and others which are equivalent in all relevant respects to those so listed.)

Or http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2012/13/article/2/made

you will find similar wording (any spring trap which is equivalent in all relevant respects to a spring trap of a type and make specified in any entry in Column 1 of the Schedule)

Clone traps are supposed to be of equal power, dimensions and quality, but we all know they are normally cheap chink shite.

• Like 1