Metal Detecting

thought of that..haha. you often wondered walking your own patch what history and delight's are waiting there under foot to be discovered.. a pice of lead ,a musket ball,a thimble,,who lost it,,who fired it..etc,,the history of this country is incredible..met lads that did fxck all at school.but buy fxxk ,,detecting found them [every bodies good at something] factor..some of em could put your history teacher to shame..

• Like 2

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lizzie the first 1560's

Found this today.....     A half penny. Nothing special but one of my first coin finds so I'm chuffed to bits. Using my new garrett ace 250 can't wait to get back out with it.

Eric Lawes,old guy who died last year,the legend goes he was going into town to get some golf clubs as he was on the very of retiring and wanted a hobby to keep himself occupied,he saw a mate of his w

Posted Images

I thought 50/50 with land owner but you need it in writing or he can take it all. You find a coin you might not tell him but you get 100 then he really needs to know as you won't manage to sell them all..

finds are supposed to be reported to the coroner and if the government don't want it you get it back if they do you get the value...

If you never had it in writing that your 50/50 with the land owner you might just get pumped.. hard

Buckshot,theres a stretch of the wear i saw on timeteam once where they threw votiv offerings,two guys found large amounts of roman,ever found any up there?

the one your on about off timeteam mate was the one at piercebridge I think on the tees the roman villa is right alongside river.there was two guys diving up at durham city under the bridges were people had threw gear in years ago that's in a magazine I read,{durham archaeology} some intresting reading and places in them :D:thumbs:

• Like 1

Doesn`t have to be 50/50. You set the share and get his to sign your permission slip with the share written in it.

As said though., you might find it somewhere you`re not meant to be anyway, in which case you found it rabbiting in the 70`s and cannae remember where. :)

• Like 1

Ive given the farmer half of what i think the coin was worth on the farms i have that agreement with. The way i try to look at it is if i try to be honest, that way the farmer doesnt actually mind you on his land cos every now and then your slipping him twenty quid or so. Most ive given was £50 for a scottish james 1st twenty penny coin, it was in super nick and i was over the moon with it, i reckoned id have got around £100 on ebay so everyone was happy.

• Like 2

Was that one with oliver Cromwell peak oil

There has been two battles, one in the civil war and one later.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Preston_(1648)

http://www.information-britain.co.uk/famdates.php?id=323

There is quite a bit of Roman history in the area. One find that would make you detectorists eyes light up was the Curedale hoard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuerdale_Hoard

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ancient/vikings/cuerdale_01.shtml

Cuerdale is a mile away ish from work as the crow flies.