Metal Detecting

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lizzie the first 1560's

Found this today.....     A half penny. Nothing special but one of my first coin finds so I'm chuffed to bits. Using my new garrett ace 250 can't wait to get back out with it.

Eric Lawes,old guy who died last year,the legend goes he was going into town to get some golf clubs as he was on the very of retiring and wanted a hobby to keep himself occupied,he saw a mate of his w

Posted Images

iv got a garret euro ace with a tornado 13" coil, the coil itself cost half as much as the metal detector lol, anyway iv been detecting for about 2 years now, iv found about 40 silver coins, mostly 6 pences, and 3 pences, half crowns, i found a roman axe, a roman top part of a ring, and 2 gold cufflinks, but havent found no hammered coins, Yet only 1 roman, but still am optimistic though, theres still plenty out there to be found, thousands of years of activity, / battles/ect ect , just have to do a bit of research before going out, although its very frustrating when the farmers keep saying no no no ! one will say yes so just keep at it i say, also theres loads of detecting groups that anyone can join, the price for a days detecting ranges from £6 - £20 ! atb FT

• Like 1

I have a garret ace 250. Never used it myself but maybe one day.

One of my permission's for rabbits is on an old saxons settlement and farmer told me to crack on if i wanted.

if possible id love to detect on there with you? how far from s east wales are you ? FT

I once dug up a flint axe head, which was estimated at upto 6000 years old.

With a metal detector?

lol IMPOSSIBLE lol :laugh:
POSSIBLE

How do you detect flint with a metal detector? That's what I was asking. Or was the axe head a coincidental find?

Ah, get what your saying, i got the wrong end of the stick.

Ive found 'lithic' flint bladelets/knifes when out detecting- no your correct, the detector wont pick them up but when your detecting near tumuli you dig down and happen upon them if your lucky. If the lad found a 6000 yr old axe head it could be bronze age, that started roughly 5000/6000 years ago i think so its not impossible.

• Like 1