Nostalgia Is Not What It Used To Be.

Can recall bath time in 50's having a scrub down in the kitchen sink in a couple of inches of tepid water, kitchen was referred to as a scullery. Always tried to be first for the scrub as by the time the 3rd one got in the sink the water was cold, if you was lucky mum would have the kettle on for a warm top up. Was better if the coal fire was heating the water as top ups were easier, but that didn't usually get lit until later.

When my son visited in 2014 the granddaughter got her baths in the sink and thoroughly enjoyed it.

attachicon.gifbathtime0005small.jpg

Loads of houses around here have net curtains up, as do we. Don't want every fcuker peering in.

I do remember 50's 60's the net curtains would get stuck to the inside of the windows with ice, and when you crawled into bed the linen sheets were freezing cold and took ages to warm up and we would sometimes get an overcoat on the bed in lieu of an eiderdown.

With me, this nostalgia thing has only come about relatively recently, last few years. When I was about 13-14 I used to dread coming home from school in case my old nan was visiting as I would get the job of walking with her and seeing her across the main road, as her eyesight was failing. She used to move at the pace of a sloth and it lost me the best part of an hour with my mates. I always used to question my mother as to how she could come round on her own but not go back on her own and my mothers answer was always the same "you'll be old one day", which wasn't exactly an answer.

Would like to have spent a bit of time questioning my nan, and my mother, about their pasts but it's too late now.

I have spent a few years trying to find any photos of the tenement my nan used to live in in Deptford, I recall visiting it at a very young age. Last week I found a colour photo that a bloke took in 1970, and it took me right back to the 50's. Thing is, who would want to waste valuable film and money to process that film just to take a photo of a manky old tenement block, indeed, who would have even owned a camera. Bit different nowadays with smartphones and digital cameras where you can click away, should be plenty of info for future generations if they are interested. Any of you old Deptford boys recognise this, it's now a park. The old girl used to live 3rd entrance from the far end, 1st floor right hand side. They had a designated washing day and hung the washing out on the roof to dry, also had a designated day to clean the communal stairs. There were 6 blocks of varying sizes and 2 of them were destroyed by a V2 in 1945 with the loss of 53 lives, mainly railwaymen and their families.

attachicon.giffolk gdns.jpg

Me and my brother used to have to go and get a short back and sides from and old guy who had turned his air raid shelter into a small barbers. It used to cost 3d.

Here's one of me in a school photo (1959 I think) with said short back and sides, sporting my best jumble sale shirt, elasticated tie and hand knitted pullover (sweat-shop made cheap clothes hadn't been invented then LOL). Wherever you went you were never far from the clacking of knitting needles.

attachicon.gifme1959-60.jpg

Can recall bath time in 50's having a scrub down in the kitchen sink in a couple of inches of tepid water, kitchen was referred to as a scullery. Always tried to be first for the scrub as by the time the 3rd one got in the sink the water was cold, if you was lucky mum would have the kettle on for a warm top up. Was better if the coal fire was heating the water as top ups were easier, but that didn't usually get lit until later.

When my son visited in 2014 the granddaughter got her baths in the sink and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Loads of houses around here have net curtains up, as do we. Don't want every fcuker peering in.

I do remember 50's 60's the net curtains would get stuck to the inside of the windows with ice, and when you crawled into bed the linen sheets were freezing cold and took ages to warm up and we would sometimes get an overcoat on the bed in lieu of an eiderdown.

With me, this nostalgia thing has only come about relatively recently, last few years. When I was about 13-14 I used to dread coming home from school in case my old nan was visiting as I would get the job of walking with her and seeing her across the main road, as her eyesight was failing. She used to move at the pace of a sloth and it lost me the best part of an hour with my mates. I always used to question my mother as to how she could come round on her own but not go back on her own and my mothers answer was always the same "you'll be old one day", which wasn't exactly an answer.

Would like to have spent a bit of time questioning my nan, and my mother, about their pasts but it's too late now.

I have spent a few years trying to find any photos of the tenement my nan used to live in in Deptford, I recall visiting it at a very young age. Last week I found a colour photo that a bloke took in 1970, and it took me right back to the 50's. Thing is, who would want to waste valuable film and money to process that film just to take a photo of a manky old tenement block, indeed, who would have even owned a camera. Bit different nowadays with smartphones and digital cameras where you can click away, should be plenty of info for future generations if they are interested. Any of you old Deptford boys recognise this, it's now a park. The old girl used to live 3rd entrance from the far end, 1st floor right hand side. They had a designated washing day and hung the washing out on the roof to dry, also had a designated day to clean the communal stairs. There were 6 blocks of varying sizes and 2 of them were destroyed by a V2 in 1945 with the loss of 53 lives, mainly railwaymen and their families.

Me and my brother used to have to go and get a short back and sides from and old guy who had turned his air raid shelter into a small barbers. It used to cost 3d.

Here's one of me in a school photo (1959 I think) with said short back and sides, sporting my best jumble sale shirt, elasticated tie and hand knitted pullover (sweat-shop made cheap clothes hadn't been invented then LOL). Wherever you went you were never far from the clacking of knitting needles.

is that where folkestone gardens is now/ trundleys road?

• Like 1

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Those of us who are "of a certain age" will recognise one of these....  

Wife does the youngest granddaughter loves it. The eldest hates it but she is 18.   TC

Can recall bath time in 50's having a scrub down in the kitchen sink in a couple of inches of tepid water, kitchen was referred to as a scullery. Always tried to be first for the scrub as by the time

Posted Images

Yep, that's it :thumbs: I've read somewhere that where the V2 hit is where the pond is now, and I reckon it could be well be true when you look at a pic. of the overlay where the 2 blocks are missing.

post-84277-0-96218600-1479992582.jpg

Nostalgia and net curtains,,,,,well we lived in a terraced house and every winter the net curtains would stick and freeze to the ice on our bedroom window,

We had to wait for them to thaw before we could see out of the window again,

Nostalgia no thanks give me central heating any day.

• Like 3

I was brought up in my grans.the only heating was a coal fire in the living room and my grandfather had a brick inside the fire 1 each side to save coal.

No central heating.in my bedroom the window was as thick as glass house glass.would soon freeze over solid you would spend 10 mins breathing on the glass to get a little peep hole lol.

Then the dreaded bath.now that was stuff of nightmares.

At the top head end of the bath.about 3ft above your head was a hot water tank like a tall copper boiler.sitting on a 4x4 piece of wood which was going from the back wall and side wall on a 45 degree angle.

Now you had to sit right underneath that boiler.the lid would be rattling flat out and jumping about spitting red hot water ontop of you.

That was scary stuff lol.

My grandfather had to run the tank empty every few hrs in the kitchen as it would over heat.

The kitchen would end up like a sauna lol.

Then at bed time my gran had about 8 thick blankets on the bed and once you were in the bed she would tuck the blankets under the matress.you were uncapable of moving the weight on the blankets was amazing pinned there allnight.

The whole bedroom was half stripped of wall paper.as if a blind man had done it.and right behind the headboard going up the wall was.

What looked like a great white shark outline left of wall paper.

That used to put the shits up me for yrs.

Looking back it was like fecking torture lol.

• Like 5

I was brought up in my grans.the only heating was a coal fire in the living room and my grandfather had a brick inside the fire 1 each side to save coal.

No central heating.in my bedroom the window was as thick as glass house glass.would soon freeze over solid you would spend 10 mins breathing on the glass to get a little peep hole lol.

Then the dreaded bath.now that was stuff of nightmares.

At the top head end of the bath.about 3ft above your head was a hot water tank like a tall copper boiler.sitting on a 4x4 piece of wood which was going from the back wall and side wall on a 45 degree angle.

Now you had to sit right underneath that boiler.the lid would be rattling flat out and jumping about spitting red hot water ontop of you.

That was scary stuff lol.

My grandfather had to run the tank empty every few hrs in the kitchen as it would over heat.

The kitchen would end up like a sauna lol.

Then at bed time my gran had about 8 thick blankets on the bed and once you were in the bed she would tuck the blankets under the matress.you were uncapable of moving the weight on the blankets was amazing pinned there allnight.

The whole bedroom was half stripped of wall paper.as if a blind man had done it.and right behind the headboard going up the wall was.

What looked like a great white shark outline left of wall paper.

That used to put the shits up me for yrs.

Looking back it was like fecking torture lol.

I was brought up with my gram exactly thr same mate. House was f****n freezing. Only fire in the living room covers tucked under the matress at night. I had a black and white tv with a thing on it like a radio tuner to find a chanel lol. Embarrassing to admit this wasn't that long ago lol

A tv you lucky sod lol.

Only 1 my gran had was a small black and white with the turn dial.

And a big hissss between channels lol.

Yep, that's it :thumbs: I've read somewhere that where the V2 hit is where the pond is now, and I reckon it could be well be true when you look at a pic. of the overlay where the 2 blocks are missing.

attachicon.giffolkestone gardens overlay.jpg

looks like you could be right. we used to get in the rose ofkent on trundleys road now and then,i think it is flats now.

you should have a look at this site http://www.olddeptfordhistory.com/2009/11/electric-palace-deptford.html

looks like you could be right. we used to get in the rose ofkent on trundleys road now and then,i think it is flats now.

you should have a look at this site http://www.olddeptfordhistory.com/2009/11/electric-palace-deptford.html

Did either of you chaps ever get in The Merry Cricketers in Lower Road/Evelyn Street opposite the Mcdonalds ( its a supermarket now ) my older sister had it in the late 80,s early 90,s.... caused some problems that did !

My earliest memory of Folkestone Gardens was when I was 3 years old, walking down Clifton Rise, and along Woodpecker Road into Trundleys, quite a treck for young legs. My younger brother was in the pushchair and I was dragging my feet and my mother told me to walk properly otherwise the black man would get me... I recall turning into Clifton Rise to be confronted by a very large black man, needless to say I walked properly after that LOL. In later years my mother was amazed that I could recall that day, what with being so young, but when I told her I could recall going to visit my nan on my dads side who was dying, in Passey Place, Eltham she was even more amazed as I was only 2... nowadays I have trouble recalling what happened yesterday.

It seemed that my old nan in Folkestone Gardens always had a pot of scrag end lamb stew on the cooker, and as soon as you arrived you was given a plate full. really wish I could turn the clock back and question her on her life as she lost 2 husbands during the great war years.

• Like 2

Did either of you chaps ever get in The Merry Cricketers in Lower Road/Evelyn Street opposite the Mcdonalds ( its a supermarket now ) my older sister had it in the late 80,s early 90,s.... caused some problems that did !

No Mate, I was not a Deptford lad, I was Eltham and Coldharbour, but you'll be pleased to know that the Den was hit by one of Hitlers bombs in 1943, and it is estimated that it caused almost one million pounds worth of improvements.

post-84277-0-16247900-1480023486.jpg

I remember my parents (sensible people) thought it a good idea one bonfire night to build a f**k off fire very,very close the rear of the house,old 3 piece suites,doors,railway sleepers,the works as long as it was highly flammable,I was a kid but my remarks it was a tad close to the house fell on deaf ears.It was like one of those hilltop beacons used to warn of a Viking invasion,it was probably visible from space,flames licking everywhere,heat that could have roasted a pig.All the back windows had cracks in them and the paint peeled off the kitchen door,nostalgia eh.

No Mate, I was not a Deptford lad, I was Eltham and Coldharbour, but you'll be pleased to know that the Den was hit by one of Hitlers bombs in 1943, and it is estimated that it caused almost one million pounds worth of improvements.

attachicon.gifThe Den bombed on April 14th 1943.jpg

my brothers are millwall supporters, they said the den had been hit but i never saw a picture before.

gnasher, i remember once or twic e getting in the cricketers would have been 80s sometime but only on the odd occasion. my dad worked as a stevedore and used to take us down near the docks a lot, round what is now surrey quays and back up to deptford so i have been in most of the pubs round there on at least one occasion!