Reverce Breed Collie Greyhounds

My lurcher although not a collie lurcher (although there is collie in her) is less than than half sighthound being spaniel x lurcher.

She is not as fast as most lurchers......or particularly looks like a out n out lurcher, which causes people to judge, but she has caught me more than any other dog I've owned.

More importantly to me I get more pleasure from watching her field craft than any other dog I've owned....not all about numbers.

• Like 8

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Iolo full brother to Sesku and Pukerk's bitches...27"tts 5/8 collie 3/8 greyhound

I've got the sister to pukerks bitch she catches day and night, marks and flushes plenty of feather .. I will definitely take a litter from her in a few years

She lives in when we are at home but kennelled when we are at work..

Posted Images

Yea I know I was stating the obvious there but the point I was trying to make was, as a fella said earlier, would you not be better of with a straight half ? Would it not have the heartiness and brains plus a wee bit more boot ?

But most half's look like lurchers..

I want a mutt that looks like a collie so it passes off as a collie so to not draw unwanted attention... And for the type of hunting it'll be doing it'd be grand

Get a collie then lol

The little bit of lurcher or running dog blood tends to stop the dog having the irritating traits/habits that a pure collie can have from what I seen.and would be led to believe.
  • Like 2

I have a 3/4 greyhound 1/4 collie and to say, may as well get a greyhound I have to disagree. He's intelligent and easy to handle biddable, and gutsy for a pup.

His coat is thick as hell amd smooth, his bone amd build is almost likr a half x except for the chest depth of that like a greyhound. Feet as like a collies, high knuckle but almost like hare foot.

I'm quite happy with how he's turned out in all fairness, but he's definitely carved the collie gene well which is want I wanted from 3/4 bred. Suppose u could say why didnt I get a half x lol

• Like 4

Seen some real useful 3/4 Greyhound x Collies....the best of them have the power and physicality of the running dog,.whilst retaining more than enough pastoral dog sagacity....

For me,..(nowadays) a working dog needs to be tractable....

I only work a few hedgerows, so great speed and phenomenal pace,..will not really help :laugh:

As for the curiously named, Reverse Three Quarter breds :blink:

Well, these were the types that I was brought up with,...walked out with plenty,...my village was full of them....Main reason was,...no fecker had a Greyhound,...we just used an old running dog, owned by the Estate Manager,...and when he was gone, we just kept on ,.keeping on,..breeding lurcher to lurcher...

They were a variable bunch ,...working livestock,..guarding the smallholding and hunting and retrieving shot game on the shoot,..It was no problem for them.

Back then,.you were either versatile, or quietly disposed of........

Then,...I moved South,...and when I did, I had two things to change,...my Welsh accent,...(it just got me slapped about),...and regrettably,..my team of Blue Collies,...cos,.in truth,..we just couldn't catch owt. :laugh::laugh:

Times move on.... :thumbs:

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 7

Well, these were the types that I was brought up with,...walked out with plenty,...my village was full of them....

Main reason was,...no fecker had a Greyhound,...we just used an old running dog, owned by the Estate Manager,...and when he was gone, we just kept on ,.keeping on,..breeding lurcher to lurcher...

They were a variable bunch ,...working livestock,..guarding the smallholding and hunting and retrieving shot game on the shoot,..It was was no problem for them.

Back then,.you were either versatile, or quietly disposed of........

Just the way I like 'em. And when outcrossed to a savy type running dog, they should be able to find and run down anything you could carry home. And then some

• Like 1

I have a 3/4 greyhound 1/4 collie and to say, may as well get a greyhound I have to disagree. He's intelligent and easy to handle biddable, and gutsy for a pup.

His coat is thick as hell amd smooth, his bone amd build is almost likr a half x except for the chest depth of that like a greyhound. Feet as like a collies, high knuckle but almost like hare foot.

I'm quite happy with how he's turned out in all fairness, but he's definitely carved the collie gene well which is want I wanted from 3/4 bred. Suppose u could say why didnt I get a half x lol

Yeah I know what you mean it's just that someone said "just as we'll get a full collie" regarding the 3/4 collie 1/4 greyhound, when clearly it's the 3/4 collie is what they want.... of course anybody would pick a 3/4 greyhound over a full greyhound (for the reasons you just described) or at least I would if I had the choice.... Jeez I find it hard to explain myself over this poxy hi pad lol...

Each to their own, if we all wanted the same thing it would be a boring world and one where nothing new could ever find a place. Mind having said that my 1st lurcher was heavily collie saturated and although she had her uses, mainly teaching me a lot, i would never have another. My second could do everything she could, being a beddy/whippet x collie/grey but was a lot quicker and that opened up a whole new world of pleasure. To my mind speed and intelligence need not be mutually exclusive.

Edited by sandymere
  • Like 4

Yeah I know what you mean it's just that someone said "just as we'll get a full collie" regarding the 3/4 collie 1/4 greyhound, when clearly it's the 3/4 collie is what they want.... of course anybody would pick a 3/4 greyhound over a full greyhound (for the reasons you just described) or at least I would if I had the choice.... Jeez I find it hard to explain myself over this poxy hi pad lol...

ye I took it hw you meant it mate. Wasn't being funny like.

I don't think I'd catch much with a half x let alone a reverse. But I wouldn't say their not capable until seeing one.

• Like 1

I must be one of those rare people who do not give a fig if I catch or not when I go out these days. That said, it is always nice to come home with something for your effort. The numbers game, the best dog game I have been through them all. But we all see sense in the end and a reverse 3/4 bed collie would do me fine now. Fast enough to take a few on the lamp and with more brain than me, perhaps it could teach an old dog a few new tricks?

TC

• Like 6

Yea I know I was stating the obvious there but the point I was trying to make was, as a fella said earlier, would you not be better of with a straight half ? Would it not have the heartiness and brains plus a wee bit more boot ?

But most half's look like lurchers..

I want a mutt that looks like a collie so it passes off as a collie so to not draw unwanted attention... And for the type of hunting it'll be doing it'd be grand

Get a collie then lol
The little bit of lurcher or running dog blood tends to stop the dog having the irritating traits/habits that a pure collie can have from what I seen.and would be led to believe.
didn't stop.this one had plenty irritating collie traits/habits post-71205-0-65548100-1480020242_thumb.jpg
  • Like 3