Reverce Breed Collie Greyhounds

As mentioned above, a faster dog may catch a hell of a lot more in a lot of circumstances but, in some places, the average farm dog or shooting dog probably catches more than the average lurcher. It depends on your ground, your motivation and your outlook.

• Like 1

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Iolo full brother to Sesku and Pukerk's bitches...27"tts 5/8 collie 3/8 greyhound

I've got the sister to pukerks bitch she catches day and night, marks and flushes plenty of feather .. I will definitely take a litter from her in a few years

She lives in when we are at home but kennelled when we are at work..

Posted Images

Well said Neal its not all about big bags to many lads think it is to me a proper dog should be able to mark hunt up quarter a field work cover catch and retreive a variety of game both fur and feather not kept on the end of a slip lead and pointed at its quarry the type of dog i keep, Neal keeps, and my friends keep are very versatile dogs just because they dont look like greyhoundy type lurchers dont be fooled and they certainly aint one trick ponies. regards collie john.

• Like 7

As mentioned above, a faster dog may catch a hell of a lot more in a lot of circumstances but, in some places, the average farm dog or shooting dog probably catches more than the average lurcher. It depends on your ground, your motivation and your outlook.

Neal I know you said before,but I can't remember why did you choose the kelpie over a border collie for a mooching dog.

Neal I know you said before,but I can't remember why did you choose the kelpie over a border collie for a mooching dog.

It's a very long story (so long that I once turned it into an article for EDRD) but I'll try to give you an abridged version.

I started out with collie crosses while I was living in Cumbria (a half bred beardie x greyhound and a 3/4 collie 1/4 greyhound) followed by a collie x whippet when I returned to Hampshire. However, before I had them I did a lot of research on the difference between beardies and borders (in the days when a lot of research meant sitting in a library) and liked the sound of the kelpies. Unfortunately, nobody at the time was breeding kelpie lurchers (late 80s early 90s) which is why I stuck with the collies.

Several years later when I was without a dog and not sure which route to take next as I'd liked my collie crosses but felt something was missing (not missing in them; just missing in my relationship with them) I saw an ad for Dave Sleight's second litter of kelpie crosses (the one which produced Purdey). I still wasn't quite ready for a dog at the time but ended up getting a dog from his next litter of kelpie/collie x greyhounds.

I couldn't believe the difference...once again, not that they were better but rather that I personally got on better with him. Against my better judgement I bought a pure one about eighteen months later and I've never looked back since.

To be fair, all the collie blood in my lurchers had come from a "similar source" so, now that I've mellowed with age, I could well find that I'd get on fine with a collie but I'm happy with my "prick-eared mongrels" so I think I'll stick with them.

• Like 7

I'm happy with my two. :D

Scout is getting on a bit now and less gung-ho than she used to be and Noggin's accident means he may never quite reach the full potential I'd hoped for but, unless Scout goes before her time, I'm aiming to wait until Noggin's about seven before looking for my next one. Having said that, when I think how much research I did before I found Noggin...maybe I should start looking now as I've only got four years to go! :laugh:

• Like 1

What are you thinking of breeding her with sesku?

would be for mine and a couple friends own use , my bitch is only 22-23 tts so would like to add height .. with her being 5/8 collie herself whatever I used would produce heavy collie type so I'd go fast leggy lurcher doing his job..

Would be in a couple years if it did happen.so all a big if ..... atb sesku

• Like 2