Bread And Dripping

Go to solution Solved by kanny,

I loved it when I was a kid. It was a genuine treat. We would often come in from play and be given bread and dripping to share with whoever we were playing with.

I can remember my mam and grandma eating tripe and pigs' feet. The working class really did eat offal in those days. Fecking disgusted me-but they used to love it. I was more of a fray bentos tinned beef lover. (probably offal as well) I can remember my mam chasing me with the pig's foot for a laugh.

No doubt these days I could have counselling for psychological trauma. :laugh:

Same here pigs trotter were a regular dinner when I was a nipper and i remember enjoying them ....because my dad had a knackers yard I always had some body part in pocket usually a Turkey foot I'd pull the tendons and freek my mates out lol I also took a calfs head to school for a bring and show and it went down a treat can you imagine the kerfufle it would cause now days lol.
  • Like 5

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Come on, who's had it ? I can honestly say I can't ever remember having it growing up, although my great uncle who taught me to shoot used to talk about it fondly.   His father used to work on the

Same here pigs trotter were a regular dinner when I was a nipper and i remember enjoying them ....because my dad had a knackers yard I always had some body part in pocket usually a Turkey foot I'd pu

I used to do a bit for two sheep farmers (father and son) in the Wicklow Hills and after the daily fry up they used to argue over whos turn it was to clean the pan. Then one of them would squeeze 3 o

• Solution

Turning up for school with a calf's head. :laugh: That creased me. A sure case for social workers these days. :laugh: Id like to have been a fly on the wall in the staff room.

Our teacher was sound and into taxidermy he stuffed the head lol

• Like 1

Turning up for school with a calf's head. :laugh: That creased me. A sure case for social workers these days. :laugh: Id like to have been a fly on the wall in the staff room.

Our teacher was sound and into taxidermy he stuffed the head lol

David Cameron used that excuse!

• Like 3

I loved it when I was a kid. It was a genuine treat. We would often come in from play and be given bread and dripping to share with whoever we were playing with.

I can remember my mam and grandma eating tripe and pigs' feet. The working class really did eat offal in those days. Fecking disgusted me-but they used to love it. I was more of a fray bentos tinned beef lover. (probably offal as well) I can remember my mam chasing me with the pig's foot for a laugh.

No doubt these days I could have counselling for psychological trauma. :laugh:

I love pig feet ??

Have jars in the fridge of chicken/duck/beef/pig - fat/dripping.

do me roast veggies in them, bit of dripping on toast for the daughter and me on a night. The dog loves the pig fat with a bit of hot water on his rice or quinoa ???

Not sure ive ever had bread and dripping but just seeing the words " Fray Bentos " makes me want to heave.......ive never forgiven my ol mother for forcing those revolting f****n things down my neck even the sound of those nasty metal ring pull things or the smell once the lid was off has left me mentally scarred !

• Like 1

Not sure ive ever had bread and dripping but just seeing the words " Fray Bentos " makes me want to heave.......ive never forgiven my ol mother for forcing those revolting f****n things down my neck even the sound of those nasty metal ring pull things or the smell once the lid was off has left me mentally scarred !

Used to get Fray Bentos steak and kidney pie in our weekly food parcel during the miners strike, cant look at 1 now

used love the it, but its very bad for you, all that fat will feck up your arteries long term, my wife family lived on the stuff in 50-60s , not much money so eat what they could get, and dripping was one of the things they had, all stuff like that bad for you cholesterol , they all had heart attacks and strokes and died quite young ( mid 60s) , dripping ok once in a while :thumbs::yes:

Ray that has all been proven to be nonsense ... that was the thinking back in the 80,s and onwards etc but three separate scientific facilities have carried out studies using hundreds of people and proved there is no harm from animal based saturated fats .......
Spot on.. The original advice was flawed, everyone cut out fat and the population ballooned in weight.. Sugar and other carbs. Think back to the times when everyone ate all their fat, butter and dairy and people were as thin as bloody rakes!

used love the it, but its very bad for you, all that fat will feck up your arteries long term, my wife family lived on the stuff in 50-60s , not much money so eat what they could get, and dripping was one of the things they had, all stuff like that bad for you cholesterol , they all had heart attacks and strokes and died quite young ( mid 60s) , dripping ok once in a while :thumbs::yes:

I think everybody died mid sixties or before in those days. I think there were lots of reasons for it-not just poor grub.

One thing I have noticed though is that kids who were born just after the war are a lot taller than their parents-better nutrition i reckon. I'm a lot taller than my dad was and even my older brothers. My mam reckoned it was because i got cod liver oil and free orange juice which wasn't available to older kids. Mind you the fact that we lived near the docks helped too--there was lots of foodstuffs knocked off from the docks which always found its way into kitchen. My dad, uncles and grandad worked on the docks so we were well fed by comparison to other families.

thats very true regards kids being taller after the war , i was born 1952 , me and my 3 brothers are all taller than what my dad was, me and one bother 6ft and the one 6ft 2in , dad was 5ft 9 1/2 in , and me dad brothers were all about 5ft 7 he was the biggest , deff we ate better after the war . :yes:

Ray that has all been proven to be nonsense ... that was the thinking back in the 80,s and onwards etc but three separate scientific facilities have carried out studies using hundreds of people and proved there is no harm from animal based saturated fats .......
Spot on.. The original advice was flawed, everyone cut out fat and the population ballooned in weight.. Sugar and other carbs. Think back to the times when everyone ate all their fat, butter and dairy and people were as thin as bloody rakes!

Makes sense I was raised by my grand parents and they were skinny but wiry and fit/tough as hell. They used to run a cafe when I was about 8 and every dam day we had bacon and egg for dinner and I mean every day lol. Just because its was convenient/cheap and what they had most of. I was sick of it. Loads of beef dripping, lard and corn beef all whacked down. They both lived to a ripe old age

Used to get Fray Bentos steak and kidney pie in our weekly food parcel during the miners strike, cant look at 1 now

And those tins of minced meat in gravy ... fukcing vile ... we fed them to the dogs so that the dogs could catch us some real meat lol ......

• Like 1

And those tins of minced meat in gravy ... fukcing vile ... we fed them to the dogs so that the dogs could catch us some real meat lol ......
Yeah that tinned mince was rank but I'm quite fond of the tinned steak in gravy on a jacket spud :thumbs: polony sausage wtf was that shite? :hmm: