Longnets The Pros And Cons

Your right there about the variation in the quality of the 210/12 z twist nylon Phil, I bought my first long nets from K.P.& S nets (remember them) back in 1982 I think it was? I used those nets for about 20 years and when the time came to replace them the quality of the nylon was a lot different. I had not thought about the quality of the nylon until presented with the 'new nylon' that was a lot stiffer and even a little larger in diameter. About 8 years ago I bought some sheet netting of a chandler who was closing down and had some old 4z sheet netting for sale. That stuff was like chalk and cheese to the stuff produced today, soft, supple and would cling to rabbits like shit to a blanket.

TC

• Like 5

I reckon it depends on the the terrain and permission i regularly used to fire down hundreds of purse nets along a railway line and run three long nets along the top drop in some ferrets and add as they started to move the rabbit rarely went over the top and you only picked up the odd one to catch the rabbits you needed the purse nets . then a few times when you get called in to do a bit of pest control where the rabbits have seen ferrets before they rarely run for the hills but prefer to hole hop and face the danger under ground , and you hit real lucky once in a while the place has never seen ferrets and they head for the hills and a long nets a sure bet . a 4z will hold rabbits well but picks up all the crap unless you hold it really high while picking it up but a nice 6 z seems to suit me where as above that reminds me of a tennis net .

• Like 2

I do quite a lot of large burys with lots and lots holes and find if you don't use purse nets the rabbits just come straight out of one hole into another often having seen man or dog and then prefer to take there chance with the ferret than bolt again. If you are doing smaller holes they work well but I do like a purse net as although it takes longer I personally feel that set right they are more effective.

I do quite a lot of large burys with lots and lots holes and find if you don't use purse nets the rabbits just come straight out of one hole into another often having seen man or dog and then prefer to take there chance with the ferret than bolt again. If you are doing smaller holes they work well but I do like a purse net as although it takes longer I personally feel that set right they are more effective.

its always a issue that,but,on really big sets I have seen me run one through the middle, cutting the set in half,
  • Like 1

Last year we where working a permission where the burrows where 30/50 holes my son took a lad the same age and worked with the lads long nets I took dogger from here with purse nets and by breakfast time they had 13 rabbits and we had 11 swings and roundabouts ? Only the permission had benn poached hard you hardly did a burrow before you picked up somebody's purse net that had been left

Your right there about the variation in the quality of the 210/12 z twist nylon Phil, I bought my first long nets from K.P.& S nets (remember them) back in 1982 I think it was? I used those nets for about 20 years and when the time came to replace them the quality of the nylon was a lot different. I had not thought about the quality of the nylon until presented with the 'new nylon' that was a lot stiffer and even a little larger in diameter. About 8 years ago I bought some sheet netting of a chandler who was closing down and had some old 4z sheet netting for sale. That stuff was like chalk and cheese to the stuff produced today, soft, supple and would cling to rabbits like shit to a blanket.

TC

TC Ive still got a few yards of that 4" mesh stuff from Chris myself . ive just finished rigged a 25 yard trammel up with it as the 4z sheets ive had made are 41/4"

As for the quality of nylon nowadays, it is like night and day, horrible stuff blended with recycled crap and full of bonding. Hence i've had my own sheets made, like the stuff of old, soft as silk. ;)

My choice of weapon for a longnet is 4z, I want to catch rabbits first and foremost and the 4z is the best tool for the job. ANY NET will pick up debris but these heavy nylon nets will not catch anywhere near as good as a well rigged, well placed 4z, be that traditional or quickset.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

The real big burys we split them up with long nets all round then purse the well used holes,tend to get a few back netted.

Also the bag of net is all important nothing more annoying than rabbit bouncing of a tight net.

Out this week with the long nets on a big bury.

Will post a few pictures.

Atb