Photon Quality Hand Held

Out foxing last night, but was difficult with mist coming off a river. Spent a bit of time watching some Red Deer and some really far out on the hill. Back up this morning and used the Zeiss Victorys to check distance - 280 yds & 665yds respectively.

Question; is there a hand held monocular that can get the same level of clarity at these distances? Obviously illumination is critical, as I use an NM800 ON THE Photon.

Anyone?

ATB

PS I have a Bushnell with T50. Works ok, but lacks detail and distance.

Edited by Lamp_Shy
  • 2 weeks later...

A problem I think you'll encounter with most monocular's is they are usually fairly high mag - which seems to be what you are asking for - but high mag is very wobbly when held by hand.

A lower mag one is better suited to hunting and although its no more steady in the hand, the smaller quarry image is easier to keep acquired on the screen.

IMO they mostly suit nocturnal wildlife observers who would more likely be carrying a long tripod rather than a rifle that can provide a much steadier view.

• 2 weeks later...

A problem I think you'll encounter with most monocular's is they are usually fairly high mag - which seems to be what you are asking for - but high mag is very wobbly when held by hand.

A lower mag one is better suited to hunting and although its no more steady in the hand, the smaller quarry image is easier to keep acquired on the screen.

IMO they mostly suit nocturnal wildlife observers who would more likely be carrying a long tripod rather than a rifle that can provide a much steadier view.

Thanks SB. And yes, the mag is too high & wobbly.

I just can find anything suitable, other than thermal, but at a few grand, it's cost prohibitive.

Edited by Lamp_Shy

I just can find anything suitable, other than thermal, but at a few grand, it's cost prohibitive.

Are you hunting on foot or with a truck?

Are you hunting on foot or with a truck?

On foot mostly...

Hmm, I was going to suggest you mount it on your truck to stabilise it. If you use sticks could you rig up a 1/4" 20 tpi tripod adaptor of sorts.

I'd not pursue the 600 capability with a smaller lensed option.

Think so, tend to use fence posts & the like. But the Photon with the NM is so much better.