Beagle Spaniels Your Thoughts .....

newcomer88

I know a lot of boys have them and rate them highly how many of you do and how do you find them , considering putting a beagle or beagle basset over my cocker cheers

I have them and the ones I keep are good but I often reared a bad one as well,so I would say they are much the same as anything else.some great some useless,some average.breeding is everything as with all working dogs.if your spaniel in the cross barks it is a help because a fair few springer beagles have poor or no voice even if hunting well,but when you get a good one with the drive for cover and voice they are hard to beat,most are easier to control than pure hounds,have more of a brain and search cover better but would not hold a line cross country as well as a hound.they are ideal for hunting covers out for lurchers and shotguns but for a days pure hunting pure hounds hard to beat.

• Like 3

I know a lot of boys have them and rate them highly how many of you do and how do you find them , considering putting a beagle or beagle basset over my cocker cheers

I have them and the ones I keep are good but I often reared a bad one as well,so I would say they are much the same as anything else.some great some useless,some average.breeding is everything as with all working dogs.if your spaniel in the cross barks it is a help because a fair few springer beagles have poor or no voice even if hunting well,but when you get a good one with the drive for cover and voice they are hard to beat,most are easier to control than pure hounds,have more of a brain and search cover better but would not hold a line cross country as well as a hound.they are ideal for hunting covers out for lurchers and shotguns but for a days pure hunting pure hounds hard to beat.
What were the faults on the bad ones?

What were the faults on the bad ones?

Well just like any other poor yoke,no interest in hunting cover,searching,poor drive and general laziness and no drive.i would judge a dog on if you can take him out on his own for a day and will he/or she give you a days hunting,trying cover honestly and not relying on others to find,dogs like that can be hard to get,most dogs will follow a hunt,only the very good ones can do all the hard work,week in week out to give you a good day

• Like 6

Been out with a pack from Yorshire couple times few years back, top little pack more fun to watch for me than hounds. I have a bitch here absolutely brilliant on rabbit with one hell of a voice. She's not seen many Charlie till this season her 3rd she's doing ok not as good as are own dogs but should get there buy end of the season. I'd of loved her from a pup she'd never of seen a rabbit and I'd of shown her other quary as rabbits ain't my thing tbh.

• Like 1

Spot on that reply.have a bitch here will put most to shame driving cover and ditches wont hold a line to long but that suits me.hasnt found her voice yet but im hopefull she will still young 15 months with the scent getting better will tell.she still wont be going if she dont open as her hunting ability is second to none saying that have seen great first crosses with good voice.would love to see 3/4spaniel 1/4 beagle go would be ideal cross for lurcher work.