The Somme Centenary.

Today marks the 100th anniversary of the end of the Battle of the Somme.

During 141 days of horror, over 419,000 British men were listed as killed, wounded or missing presumed dead.

All sides suffered a staggering 1.3 million casualties and 72,000 British and Commonwealth troops were never identified, and have no known grave. One such man was my own great-grandfather.....

Please take a moment today to spare all these fine men a thought - and may God rest their souls.

Lest We Forget.

• Like 15

Apparently the statistics work out that 1 man died for every 1 inch they advanced.......shocking.

reminds me of one of the many great sceens , from blackadder 4,,,,

there in genrel melchods office ,,,and captin darling has a lump of earth on the table and explians that its what they captured that day,,,,melchod thinks its a moddle,,,,and asks what scale is it,,,,darling replys...."actua"l,,,,funny but very sad

Edited by TOMO
  • Like 2

Apparently the statistics work out that 1 man died for every 1 inch they advanced.......shocking.

reminds me of one of the many great sceens , from blackadder 4,,,,

there in genrel melchods office ,,,and captin darling has a lump of earth on the table and explians that its what they captured that day,,,,melchod thinks its a moddle,,,,and asks what scale is it,,,,darling replys...."actua"l,,,,funny but very sad

I find it deeply moving when Capt. Darling is sent to the front, in the final episode.

He has a tear in his eye, and his voice thick with emotion. He realises he is doomed, and he says, "Wrote a note in my diary on the way here...just says "Bugger" "

• Like 1

They were real men,just a number nowadays,but each of them had a family,friends,and each had a life,what a waste with numbers like that,Dogfox's pic gives perspective,shocking.I always think of the lochnagar crater when I hear the word Somme.

When I read of all the deaths in ww1 I find myself thinking what would Britain be like today if it had never happened with the larger population etc. While out me and the wife always look at the war memorials in the small villages and towns and it's hard to believe how many men from small communities were lost. Must have been heartbreaking, RIP.

When I read of all the deaths in ww1 I find myself thinking what would Britain be like today if it had never happened with the larger population etc. While out me and the wife always look at the war memorials in the small villages and towns and it's hard to believe how many men from small communities were lost. Must have been heartbreaking, RIP.

i was watching a quiz show the other day,one question was ,,,,when did londons population get back up to the same as 1939,,,,,,the three choises were 1955,,,95,,,or 2015,,,,,i thought it would be 55 but was shocked it was 2015....

with the two world wars ,,,and spanish flue in the early 20th centuray,,,we lost alot of humans

• Like 2

I was just in the Canadian parliament building,I went in for the library to be honest as there are individual books in there with million dollar value,I also found the chamber of rememberance,very sombre place with a book for the Somme dead.

I was just in the Canadian parliament building,I went in for the library to be honest as there are individual books in there with million dollar value,I also found the chamber of rememberance,very sombre place with a book for the Somme dead.

post-1930-0-77633600-1479503774_thumb.jpg

post-1930-0-39418900-1479503793_thumb.jpg

• Like 1