Not Much About

Went out riding today at work as usual and followed the grass margins along, ground was wet and it was raining I heard a big squelch and carried on the margins are hardly ever rode on the same spot twice I thought it was odd that the ground squelched like it did.

When I looked over my shoulder I was shocked to see a hare flipping about and screaming, clearly stood on the poor thing and it was in a fair bit of pain.

Jumped off but by the time I got back to it it had kicked it self to the other side of the hedge and I couldn't reach it, horse is hunting fit and pissed off that we had to stop so by the time I got around to the gap in the hedge and to the spot the hare was ready to put it out of its misery it was already dead.

The hare looked in great nick, nice coat on it bright eyes maybe slightly smaller than a adult but was not young enough to not know to move out of the way when a horse comes trotting along so of course I took it home for the ferrets Hare is too good for the ferrets, make a big old casserole or three with it lol, don't know how common they are, but I've heard of hares suffering from coccidiosis, and brown hare syndrome, as far as rabbits go my part of the north east was well stocked a few months ago, but a heavy dose of myxy has took it's toll here aswell, it's a miserable sight to see, along with what's left of the greenbelt being flogged off to build characterless new housing estates

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Poor hare

You snooze you loose ??

Yes some thing hit one of my permissions and it got the farmers pet rabbits too. But as a rule mixy would only affect that spot but this time it has covered a hell of a large area. A dam good few squa

Went out riding today at work as usual and followed the grass margins along, ground was wet and it was raining I heard a big squelch and carried on the margins are hardly ever rode on the same spot twice I thought it was odd that the ground squelched like it did.

When I looked over my shoulder I was shocked to see a hare flipping about and screaming, clearly stood on the poor thing and it was in a fair bit of pain.

Jumped off but by the time I got back to it it had kicked it self to the other side of the hedge and I couldn't reach it, horse is hunting fit and pissed off that we had to stop so by the time I got around to the gap in the hedge and to the spot the hare was ready to put it out of its misery it was already dead.

The hare looked in great nick, nice coat on it bright eyes maybe slightly smaller than a adult but was not young enough to not know to move out of the way when a horse comes trotting along so of course I took it home for the ferrets Hare is too good for the ferrets, make a big old casserole or three with it lol, don't know how common they are, but I've heard of hares suffering from coccidiosis, and brown hare syndrome, as far as rabbits go my part of the north east was well stocked a few months ago, but a heavy dose of myxy has took it's toll here aswell, it's a miserable sight to see, along with what's left of the greenbelt being flogged off to build characterless new housing estates

I don't fancy eating it and after gutting it I defiantly won't want to eat it, heard they are smellier than rabbits.

Same here, north Cotswold's, little to no rabbits, on some of the ground I've access to there's literally none, no sign of activity droppings act around holes they were there last year? Other areas have few rabbits or mixi. Mixi has always come and gone so don't see this as main reason. An area in Wiltshire I ferret, bolting rabbit to hawk, has the same problem the rabbit population there must be down to 15-20% of what it was. This doesn't look good for the future of the sport!!

Was on news earlier about a new virus decimating wild rabbit numbers and pet rabbits in uk doesn't look good lads,same as everyone else rabbit numbers in my area of Nw lancs have never been so low you can walk miles and not see one truly is depressing when you think what it was like around here a decade ago.

seems to be a trend this year bad cases of myxi wiping out complete populations, but maybe we just saw more with the gd breeding season and really theres same about as would have been with a harsh winter, I would say just natures way but myxi is man made

It's not 'man made' it originated naturally in South America. The mammals there over centuries gained an immunity to it, it was accidentally released from a lab in France this side of the Atlantic, I seem to recall..

seems to be a trend this year bad cases of myxi wiping out complete populations, but maybe we just saw more with the gd breeding season and really theres same about as would have been with a harsh winter, I would say just natures way but myxi is man made

It's not 'man made' it originated naturally in South America. The mammals there over centuries gained an immunity to it, it was accidentally released from a lab in France this side of the Atlantic, I seem to recall..

:yes::thumbs:

TC

no it was introduced by paul armand delille to rid his private estate of rabbits in france 1952 was 1st observed in bough beech kent in 1953 and was 1st noticed in lab rabbits in Uruguay in the late 1800's.

it was introduced by the government to control rabbit populations here in the uk and also in Australia and new Zealand

Edited by ferret1988

no it was introduced by paul armand delille to rid his private estate of rabbits in france 1952 was 1st observed in bough beech kent in 1953 and was 1st noticed in lab rabbits in Uruguay in the late 1800's.

it was introduced by the government to control rabbit populations here in the uk and also in Australia and new Zealand

Was first released on a sussex estate , before the government had given it the ok ,

The last 5 rabbits ive had ferreting have been bucks, is this because bucks bolt first?

I saw hardly any with mixi, but ive found a good few clean dead rabbits on my perm.

A rabbit n a fox go to their local and order a beer and a cheese n ham toasty,

The next day they go in and order a beer n a baked been toasty,

The day after they return and order a beer n a chicken n bacon toasty.

The next day only the fox returns, the barman asks, "wheres the rabbit?"

The fox sadly replies "his past away",

The barman replies "sorry to hear that, do you know how?",

The fox says "mixinghistoasties"

So sorry for that, im bored waiting to go out ratting... plenty of them around.

FF