Gun Shy Spanner

I foster for Spaniel Aid and recently adopted a second bitch. You will not find a sweeter dog and she has an outstanding pedigree. She came from a keeper and her commands are more than adequate for what I'll use her for and while out training she's a joy but he did inform me she was gun shy (not to keen on water or jumping fences either). He used her for dogging in.

I have taken her on two small beats and the first she was holding back, not working at all and ended up on the lead getting tangled on everything. On the second she bolted on the first drive, not to far, and stuck by me with a lot of encouragement. Still no sign of working and she is wide eyed with ears down. As soon as whistle is blown for end of drive she's right as rain again.

I'm not forcing her into anything and she is not close to the guns but is it worth persisting with her, she's 3. I'm not in need to work her but I like to be able to give them a good full day out and my other loves it.

My other bitch is a cracker at 2 really steady loves to work and mixes well, they get along great ,although she came in terrified of other dogs. Took about a month for her to realise she had a mate so am hoping that she follows suit.

And advice or opinions welcomed.

Assuming she retrieves why not get hold of some cold game then take her out for a training session - start with hunting her up then get a friend to clap their hands together to simulate a shot. Friend tosses bird ahead - blow your stop/sit whistle.then give her the retrieve - after a few sessions if all goes well substitute the hand clap with a starting pistol shot (gun well away from the dog) do same as before with the stop/sit - throw - command to retrieve. Watch your dog at this stage make sure she is happy and keen to retrieve - if she is feeling the pressure (lip licking/yawning) go back to hand claps. It may take a while but if you get her keen on retrieving she may start to associate shot = retrieve.

Hope you can turn things around with her.... :thumbs:

Jangles

• Like 1

well being honest , ok gun shy just one of them things , even if brought on nice and steady and built up to gun slowly , some just dont like it. but water and jumping well if they wont do that and and most gun dog breeds do jump+ swim, i would just rehome the dog for a pet, there plenty of other dogs out there that will do these jobs, with patience / praise , put you time and energy in to them . :yes:

• Like 1

Cheers for the responses guys some good advice.

There is no chance I'd rehome her as she is a lovely pooch and mine are not full on working dogs more companions in the field and beaters. She'll still get plenty of excersize was just hoping to have her with me on shoot day. And there is alway my ferreting trips.

I'll persist slowly using some of your tips and see how she goes.

Cheers again

well being honest , ok gun shy just one of them things , even if brought on nice and steady and built up to gun slowly , some just dont like it. but water and jumping well if they wont do that and and most gun dog breeds do jump+ swim, i would just rehome the dog for a pet, there plenty of other dogs out there that will do these jobs, with patience / praise , put you time and energy in to them . :yes:

Try using a starter pistol or 410 from a good distance when you feed her, Then gradually reduce the distance . Get a mate to fire the gun well you stay with her to build her confidence. The food is a good distraction. Just take your time and you should win her over

• 2 weeks later...

To get mine use to gunshot. I use an app which I blue tooth to my sons beats pill so you can adjust the volume if they look uncomfortable while I'm feeding them. I do this every now and again with my pup my older too aren't bothered as out on shoots all the time. But I did them when they were pups & I worked a dream with them & my pup is coming on fine. He really isn't bothered by it at all.