Whippet Breeding Standards ?

So a whippet that don't have any fire in its belly is still worth breeding from?

Don't need fire in its belly to catch food.

My bitch,,,,,stands back from teeth........and the only teeth she comes across are squirrels....., although she's a lurcher.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

ok i will bite.......   yes you are wrong to expect that,,,some terriers were bred to kill foxes,,,,whippets never were,,they were bred to race,,,and to catch a few rabbits...   ok some whippets w

Id breed if it didn't take teeth......would not want it to..using wrong dog for job.   Whippets struggle with an average size fox...get the job done right....that's my opinion.   Cracking exciting

My grandad kept racing whippets for years and they would take the odd hare when out in walks I was only small and the dogs seemed massive but looking back they were probably 19 or 20 tts

Posted Images

Id breed if it didn't take teeth......would not want it to..using wrong dog for job.

Whippets struggle with an average size fox...get the job done right....that's my opinion.

Cracking exciting little hunting dogs, but not quick dispatching dogs.

Id breed if it didn't take teeth......would not want it to..using wrong dog for job.

Whippets struggle with an average size fox...get the job done right....that's my opinion.

I can appreciate horses for courses and I wouldn't part with a whippet that was a good rabbiting dog that refused teeth. BUT.... I would rather a dog that would give a good account of its self on Fox, and if I had the choice between two stud dogs, all things being equal in regards to rabbiting I would choose the dog that wasn't shy of teeth over one that was . But that's just me, each to their own .
I'm talking breeding pure whippet x whippet of coarse.

I can understand that.

• Like 1

So a whippet that don't have any fire in its belly is still worth breeding from?

How much fire is needed to catch rabbits?

Not the easiest of quarry but certainly don't bite back.

Why over match a dog and why disrespect quarry with prolonging things?

Never owned a whippet but it's not rocket science...... Dogs for jobs!

Matt

My whippet has shown keenness on retrieving fox but when slipped she just seems just miss em. But will find in bush's and put em up but when coursing em just doesn't connect? Ohwell just have to keep trying till she does and see what she does. Also do some dogs chase fox's but not pull em at the first oppertunity? Atb

My whippet has shown keenness on retrieving fox but when slipped she just seems just miss em. But will find in bush's and put em up but when coursing em just doesn't connect? Ohwell just have to keep trying till she does and see what she does. Also do some dogs chase fox's but not pull em at the first oppertunity? Atb

Enjoy her for what she does.....

As said, dog for a job. If you want a rabbit dog whippet it is. If you want summat more then add summat else. Not to say they wont take other quarry but would they be the best at it? Not imo. I am hoping to get a pup off a friend next spring and we keep having this debate over an over as to what to put on his bitch. Go whippety for a smaller rabbit dog or something dif for an all rounder.

I can appreciate horses for courses and I wouldn't part with a whippet that was a good rabbiting dog that refused teeth. BUT.... I would rather a dog that would give a good account of its self on Fox, and if I had the choice between two stud dogs, all things being equal in regards to rabbiting I would choose the dog that wasn't shy of teeth over one that was . But that's just me, each to their own .

I can understand that.

lol. That's not how t.h.l works. We're meant to disagree on literally everything and then carry on like a pair of kids for the next 5 pages ....
  • Like 3

I can understand that.

lol. That's not how t.h.l works. We're meant to disagree on literally everything and then carry on like a pair of kids for the next 5 pages ....

Too funny.

. If yas gonna breed her use a hard type whippet that has a liking for mr red simple evens it self out then some will some won't.atb bunnys.

yes busher. There is many a lurcher or whippet that will chase a Fox but purposely not go for the strike when they get close enough, even though they seem keen to be slipped on them. Each to their own but personally in that case I would double slip with a dog that would smash a fox, just to build confidence and then let said whippet go the next night on its own. If it still was hesitant on going for the strike on its own, I would remind myself its a rabbit dog and I would stick to rabbits and whatever else it might take . A.t.b brenner..
  • Like 1

yes busher. There is many a lurcher or whippet that will chase a Fox but purposely not go for the strike when they get close enough, even though they seem keen to be slipped on them. Each to their own but personally in that case I would double slip with a dog that would smash a fox, just to build confidence and then let said whippet go the next night on its own. If it still was hesitant on going for the strike on its own, I would remind myself its a rabbit dog and I would stick to rabbits and whatever else it might take . A.t.b brenner..
no shame if a whippet won't take Fox but a bonus if it does

I think that most whippets take teeth but it feels a bit like driving a saloon over a field as supposed to a 4x4 or like playing Christiano Ronalo in defence. Yes it can be done but it's not what they are built (or bread rather) for.

Edited by Blueboybilly