Photon Ir ?

Better illumination tends to result in less pixellation up to a point, but it does become a case of diminishing returns after a while. I'd say you could certainly improve the image given with the T20 by using a relatively cheap sunnranger (t38 with a yokon 3x42 lens screwed on the front). There's a vid on how to make one on the Drone Pro Facebook page.

• Like 1

ftm - it all depends on what distance you want to shoot with your Photon.

Have a look at some of the vids that I have put on Youtube (Danny Boy - Photon XTreme). I find the image clarity to better with more IR, however 'whiteout' happen when the IR it too high at closer distances. My illuminator is on full blast whenever I switch it on though. I simply control the amount of IR that gets through to the Photon's sensor. Obviously though the sensor does have it's limitations, hence it is difficult to get clearer images at the longer distances.

• Like 1

It depends on the illuminator. Some you can vary the intensity from the back (e.g. newer model NM's, 3 mode T series), others you have to control by going from spot to flood as Pav says.

I use an older model NM800 which requires the rotating of the head to go from spot to flood, but I do not control the intensity this way. I have modified my Photon though to use a camera lens instead of the original Yukon lens. I use the aperture in the camera lens to increase or reduce the light that I require for each of my shots. My NM is always on full, spot beam.

I have a T50 and a new NM800 that's adjustable. The difference between the 2 units is dramatic. With the NM800 I can see out to silly distances on the the Photon. with it being adjustable, you can fine tune the illumination to avoid white outs.

I won't use anything else now.

• Like 1