Cocker Or Springer

Hi,

I have joined a local shoot in a trade off where I go beating in exchange for hunting permission with my Lucher and Whippet. Happy days.

I am currently beating without a dog but would like to take on a pup for next season. The decision that I am struggling with is - Springer or Cocker.

When I speak to the Springer guys they tell me to get a Springer because they are more intelligent but when I speak to the cocker guys they tell me to get a cocker because they are more steady.

For me the dog needs to be:

Bidable

Intelligent

Fast

Steady

All opinions welcome!

BBB

If it just for beating mate either will do. I prefer my springers but would happily take a cocker.

Cockers are a little more nuts in my opinion but work really hard, they can also be a little harder to control when they are onto something. But right training and you'll be golden with either.

Edited by Nobby8126
  • Like 1

It wasn't that long ago when they came from the same litters. Cockers were the smaller pups in the litter, springers were the larger one's. Go for a springer if your going to do a bit of picking up as well as beating. Not that Cockers can't manage it but springers have the size advantage to help with larger cock birds.

for me a springer everytime, speaking only from the ones ive seen cockers have been headless chickens and seem to put more game up crashing about rather than nose, also a lot softer than a springer for thick brambles ect and with a lot of them their size lets them down aswell for retrieving seen small bitches struggling with cock pheasants.as I say just from what I have seen. cheers