Thanks jonnie bravo iv been wondering about this too but thaught there would be some kind of piston sleve in there allready. I had to smooth a tiny bit off the cocking shoe on the 85 to stop it touching the sleeve but I never heared a sound like this I only noticed by firing a few shots and stripping again to check. Everything was in perfect order.

I'm not 100% on this, but I'm sure I read that they fit a different spring that fits the piston perfectly, so I reckon there won't be a sleeve. I think a lot of folk think that every sfs gun doesn't need to be touched, but every springer needs a clean and relube once in a while, I bet Tony Wall would tell you that. Get it open lad. Hell, I'll come and give you a hand with it if you need.

• Like 1

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Borrowed a 99 once, from a superb friend, was an imp in fact, made a simlair sound, nothing like what I imagine you describing... but it' was up there in terms of performance. Quite literally one of t

Rez iv tried to keep it as oldschool as possable in appearence without its "horrific querks" but still kept it's look as I remember my old HW85 that created so many great childhood airgunning memories

it was bloody cold this morning, it might be one of the plastic preload washers has gone! plastic/delrin gets brittle as feck when its freezing

Today iv taken the plunge and opened up the imp and jonnie bravo you hit the nail on the head.

(I'll keep the work done internally to the imp to myself out of upmost respect to sfs)

There is room for a thin piston sleve so I'll fit one and thoroughly clean, degrease and rebuild with a piston sleve.

What would be recomended as the best piston sleve material for one of these, it doesn't have a cocking shoe running on the cylender so if i use delrin will it put pressure on the delrin sleve material and chew it up?

Cheers! Tom.

• Like 1

Sounds like you would be best searching for a thin steel sleeve, but they might be expensive. You would probably need to buy one designed for a hw then cut it down. I was lucky, the standard 99 has a lot of room so I've been able to use a relatively thick and cheap ptfe sleeve, which fits perfectly and with a little sanding of the cocking shoe it's been spot on.

• Like 1

Thanks again jonnie bravo. I think I'll just clean it, re polish the piston, fit a new piston seal and lightly wet and dry then polish the cocking shoe and rebuild it to how sfs have set it up. You where right, it needed a clean out and re lube. Also a new piston seal.

• Like 1

The bend is soo slight but when you rub the shoe up it that's deffinately that sound, it's always been slight but after a few recent fruitless wanders it's been cocked long quite a long time so maybe that's why. Anyway it will be repaired like for like I'd never want to change the way it shoots, sfs have worked their magic I just hope it will be the same!