Sign in to follow this  
nothernlite

Marking Dogs

my pup is about 7 months old and is marking realy well, hes been out about 4 times with me ferreting and every time he has marked sets we have had rabbits, (besides 2,,, and both have been the first sets weve come across when getting onto the land),, excitement probably,, ) he's a sprocker x russel,workes great and is sound with ferrets & livestock

post-102035-0-20385700-1479967979_thumb.jpg

she done me proud

• Like 6

My terrier has been 100% from the first time out and never let me down once . My lurcher marks but its in an half arsed way so i dont rely on him for that and my whippet doesnt bother at all

• Like 1

Had a couple out bury using this year's ferret's on Sunday.

I then moved along bank to work the next, when I looked round for dog he wouldn't leave the bury just standing looking at me then looking at hole in front of him.

So I walked back with older ferret's resulting in another bonus bun that the young ferret's must have missed.😀

Happy days we won't starve this week.

• Like 3

Had that a few times when as an after thought I have tried my old jill who finds no messing and the daft old hob has failed to find. On the other hand the lurcher will get it wrong not often though. I wouldn't call it a false mark as such just he likes to be through :laugh: . Often if he can't get in the hedge to check the hole he expects me to do it.

He will some times mark a bush and won't move on until its been checked out. But I have learnt to go with him because loads of times he has found some thing where I would never dream there being any thing. He will often go to a hole then back track figuring the scent out and checking the area then return and give a solid mark. Or maybe his mark was subtle the first time and he basically handed it over to me while he cracked on. On the other hand my terrier just used to go to the hole stand there and refuse to budge. You had to carry the bugger away if he had marked some ridiculous place you couldn't do on your own. make sure you didnt put him back down to soon either or he would leg it straight back lol

• Like 4

Mate went against dog when it didn't mark a bury with nice clean holes loads of fresh shit, said it had to hold rabbits so netted 30+ holes ran the ferret's through from one end to other resulting in fck all

He has never gone against dog since.

Yeah, fresh paw prints and droppings around a warren mean nothing. Rabbits actually being clean animals use old warrens away from the new sets as latrines.

• Like 1

Guest vin

I have often tried the dogs marking out and questioned their lack of a mark on good looking warrens... I have always been made to look stupid by the dogs.

They are never wrong...ever.

One of my Hobs is the same.. he wont go down an empty warren and gets pissed if I try to keep putting him down... he just legs it off to the next warren following scents etc etc.