Marking Dogs

Had a couple out bury using this year's ferret's on Sunday.

I then moved along bank to work the next, when I looked round for dog he wouldn't leave the bury just standing looking at me then looking at hole in front of him.

So I walked back with older ferret's resulting in another bonus bun that the young ferret's must have missed.?

Happy days we won't starve this week.

• Like 3

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't you just love them prefer a silent Mark so you can ferret it right away don't net any more just bolt for the dogs have 2 young dogs that are getting use to ferreting now and also doing a silent

The bedlington marked as soon as he was out after his jabs. 10 in jan up to date never told lies.

Posted Images

Had that a few times when as an after thought I have tried my old jill who finds no messing and the daft old hob has failed to find. On the other hand the lurcher will get it wrong not often though. I wouldn't call it a false mark as such just he likes to be through :laugh: . Often if he can't get in the hedge to check the hole he expects me to do it.

He will some times mark a bush and won't move on until its been checked out. But I have learnt to go with him because loads of times he has found some thing where I would never dream there being any thing. He will often go to a hole then back track figuring the scent out and checking the area then return and give a solid mark. Or maybe his mark was subtle the first time and he basically handed it over to me while he cracked on. On the other hand my terrier just used to go to the hole stand there and refuse to budge. You had to carry the bugger away if he had marked some ridiculous place you couldn't do on your own. make sure you didnt put him back down to soon either or he would leg it straight back lol

• Like 4

Mate went against dog when it didn't mark a bury with nice clean holes loads of fresh shit, said it had to hold rabbits so netted 30+ holes ran the ferret's through from one end to other resulting in fck all

He has never gone against dog since.

I have often tried the dogs marking out and questioned their lack of a mark on good looking warrens... I have always been made to look stupid by the dogs.

They are never wrong...ever.

One of my Hobs is the same.. he wont go down an empty warren and gets pissed if I try to keep putting him down... he just legs it off to the next warren following scents etc etc.

Here's one from a few weeks ago...its the ferret I was watching more than the dogs at the time.. I take it for granted that the dogs mark ocupied warrens and are never wrong.

So I lift the lid on the ferret box and stand back to watch the fert do his thing.. I like how he runs past other holes and goes straight to where the dogs are marking..he often does this and is usually onto the bunny pretty quick.. watch how the old dog goes back to the hole just incase theres another on the way out.. she's not daft and often snatches herself the next evacuee..

These moments are often and sometimes repepatative over the space of a long day... But when I watch it back it makes you realize how in tune the whole team is without any words being spoken we all know our place and purpose.

I have hundred of video clips that I keep trying to sort through and at some point I will upload the lot.

https://youtu.be/yB0MrTrRGvM

atb

vin

Here's one from a few weeks ago...its the ferret I was watching more than the dogs at the time.. I take it for granted that the dogs mark ocupied warrens and are never wrong.

So I lift the lid on the ferret box and stand back to watch the fert do his thing.. I like how he runs past other holes and goes straight to where the dogs are marking..he often does this and is usually onto the bunny pretty quick.. watch how the old dog goes back to the hole just incase theres another on the way out.. she's not daft and often snatches herself the next evacuee..

These moments are often and sometimes repepatative over the space of a long day... But when I watch it back it makes you realize how in tune the whole team is without any words being spoken we all know our place and purpose.

I have hundred of video clips that I keep trying to sort through and at some point I will upload the lot.

https://youtu.be/yB0MrTrRGvM

atb

vin

i could never tire of watching dog and ferret combination great little clip. :thumbs: