One On One Time With Pup

rob190364

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not necessarily. It all depends on the bushing pup's breeding. If it comes from good working stock that can't wait to get into cover then I can't see any problem letting it run about with a lurcher, e

I have the litter brother to squabs pup. He's been going into cover since he hit 4 months. Never pushed him. Like you say he was picking up scent. He's now into everything. I think there is value in g

i mentioned it on my thread because i bought a busher many years ago that was fit for feck all,it had been bought on by continually letting it follow an older dog,not a mistake i intend to make with m

the only problem I'd have with the dummy method, is the fact that once I'd thrown the dummy into the bushes the first time my pup probably wouldn't go and get it....which means I'd have to, and that would get painful after a while :laugh:

You start off just throwing it a foot into a rabbit run or similar. Then when he's fetching that throw it a bit further until you can throw it in dense cover and he will find it using his nose.

Same with water. Throw it just a foot into the water first. Then slowly get further out.

But the experts have spoken and it's a terrible idea that doesn't work so ignore me.

• Like 1

the only problem I'd have with the dummy method, is the fact that once I'd thrown the dummy into the bushes the first time my pup probably wouldn't go and get it....which means I'd have to, and that would get painful after a while :laugh:

Just start off with long grass, rushes or something similar just to build confidence...... slowly slowly catch the monkey, lol

• 2 weeks later...

You start off just throwing it a foot into a rabbit run or similar. Then when he's fetching that throw it a bit further until you can throw it in dense cover and he will find it using his nose.

Same with water. Throw it just a foot into the water first. Then slowly get further out.

But the experts have spoken and it's a terrible idea that doesn't work so ignore me.

Not saying it's the best way,and certainly not the only way but doing this does bring a young dog on and get them entering cover and using their nose.

It's a good fun game in the summer for young dogs too.

• Like 1