One On One Time With Pup

rob190364

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not necessarily. It all depends on the bushing pup's breeding. If it comes from good working stock that can't wait to get into cover then I can't see any problem letting it run about with a lurcher, e

I have the litter brother to squabs pup. He's been going into cover since he hit 4 months. Never pushed him. Like you say he was picking up scent. He's now into everything. I think there is value in g

i mentioned it on my thread because i bought a busher many years ago that was fit for feck all,it had been bought on by continually letting it follow an older dog,not a mistake i intend to make with m

Forget the dummy,its not rocket science bringing on a busher,its just a pup keep getting it out every day where there's plenty rabbits,won't take long for the penny to drop,when it does be no stopping it atb

Why forget the dummy? It's a great training aid, mental stimulation for the pup, builds the bond between man and dog, gets it entering cover willingly, gets it retrieving. List is endless.

Rob have you not thought of letting your pup play with fresh dead rabbit should do the trick of switching it on to rabbit scent is fun atb Lee

Yeah when I go ferreting he'll rag the dead rabbits....I have to put them out of his way or he's obsessed. I think he's just much too young at the moment tbh, I'll see what the next couple of months bring.

He wouldn't though, he'd just stay mithering her. Took him out on his own first thing this morning. Followed his nose around most of the time but didn't actually go in any cover even though there were plenty of rabbits about. At what age would people normally expect a pup to start doing this? Obviously it depends on individual dog and breeding etc, but approximately?

had a Russell dog once he was over a year old before he started bushing i wasnt fussed though as i had three other terriers that were working so he was under no pressure from me to hunt but when the penny dropped with him what a dog.

Do not let it run around cover with a lurcher Ffs, I always put mine on the slip and let the pup run around with the bushers. At one point the pup was singing on the lurcher when I let her run around.

Any busher that cannot interact with a lurcher is as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike,any busher that fails to service an attendant lurcher is as useless as the same motorbike without an engine.

• Like 2

Do not let it run around cover with a lurcher Ffs, I always put mine on the slip and let the pup run around with the bushers. At one point the pup was singing on the lurcher when I let her run around.

Any busher that cannot interact with a lurcher is as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike,any busher that fails to service an attendant lurcher is as useless as the same motorbike without an engine.
And that post is about as helpful as both!
  • Like 1

And that post is about as helpful as both!

Its a bushing section,you know or you think you know.

Forget the dummy,its not rocket science bringing on a busher,its just a pup keep getting it out every day where there's plenty rabbits,won't take long for the penny to drop,when it does be no stopping it atb

Why forget the dummy? It's a great training aid, mental stimulation for the pup, builds the bond between man and dog, gets it entering cover willingly, gets it retrieving. List is endless.
did this method work for you then?,not one lad I know with decent bushers has needed to adopt this method to encourage entering cover,I'd not worry about trying to say the right thing I'd just be getting it out every day,they ain't all smashing cover at 5 month he got plenty time yet for it to come good
  • Like 3

did this method work for you then?,not one lad I know with decent bushers has needed to adopt this method to encourage entering cover,I'd not worry about trying to say the right thing I'd just be getting it out every day,they ain't all smashing cover at 5 month he got plenty time yet for it to come good

Yes this method has worked for me in the past.

I still don't understand why you would tell someone to "forget the dummy" when bringing on a pup. Just because lads you know don't do it? Lol.

Each to their own. I just made a suggestion ?