Am I Wrong To Ask For Proof That A Ferret Work

are you the fella on facebook that was inquiring about that 30 quid ferret. In fairness he did say if you weren't happy just bring it back ?

I think its just the pain in the arse factor no one wants to drag some stranger out ferreting over a ferret

ye that's me but that's not the only ferret ive asked about in the past 2 years almost all the ferrets ive had Ave been absolute rubbish I had 2 that would curl up and sleep at the entrance of the Warren 3 that only work the top and one that would sit at the entrance and pounce at you when you put your hand near her these were all sold to me as workers and I took people's words on them so in total I spent around 130 on ferrets that don't work I'd have been better off buying a bushing terrier
How many times did you take your new charges out ferreting? Sounds like they were new to the game, especially when you say some where farting about at the entrance hole. I'd also have a look at your routine, are you taking your ferrets working with full bellies? I know it's not the done thing to starve your ferrets for a few days before work like they used to do in the old days, but if they're coming off the back of a lazy summer they're going to have fat reserves and have less of a drive to go hunting. Reason I'm asking is you say you've spent 130 quid on ferrets, and in my experience most ferrets will bolt rabbits to an extent and even if you've been paying 10 quid a pop that still equates to 13 ferrets..

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sounds like it's not the ferrets who don't know what there doing!!

Fair point. Maybe if you offer them to come to your permission for the morning rather than go out on there's? Just a thought

Look at it from the seller's point of view. The few quid I might make from flogging a ferret isn't worth the bother or risk of taking a stranger onto my ferreting permission . Anyway its a bit

Patience.most ferrets will work.

Find a small burry sit on your arse with a fag or brew and let the ferret explore the holes and do its own thing.sit there for a good hour.

Get a rabbit skin tye it to some string and drag it about the ground near the ferret they will soon grab it.

At the end of the day it's a £10 ferret maybe £20 odd if it's a worker.

It ain't a 100%earth dog with a price tag of £400

If I was selling a ferret and the guy wanted to see it work I would politely tell him.mate it works I've told you it works.

You are wasting my time.if my word ain't good enough go somewhere else to buy a ferret.

are you the fella on facebook that was inquiring about that 30 quid ferret. In fairness he did say if you weren't happy just bring it back ?

I think its just the pain in the arse factor no one wants to drag some stranger out ferreting over a ferret

ye that's me but that's not the only ferret ive asked about in the past 2 years almost all the ferrets ive had Ave been absolute rubbish I had 2 that would curl up and sleep at the entrance of the Warren 3 that only work the top and one that would sit at the entrance and pounce at you when you put your hand near her these were all sold to me as workers and I took people's words on them so in total I spent around 130 on ferrets that don't work I'd have been better off buying a bushing terrier
How many times did you take your new charges out ferreting? Sounds like they were new to the game, especially when you say some where farting about at the entrance hole. I'd also have a look at your routine, are you taking your ferrets working with full bellies? I know it's not the done thing to starve your ferrets for a few days before work like they used to do in the old days, but if they're coming off the back of a lazy summer they're going to have fat reserves and have less of a drive to go hunting. Reason I'm asking is you say you've spent 130 quid on ferrets, and in my experience most ferrets will bolt rabbits to an extent and even if you've been paying 10 quid a pop that still equates to 13 ferrets..
6 ferrets the 2 that fell asleep I gave to my mates father so now have 2 kits and 2 adult as for feeding there all on rabbit a whole rabbit once that is gone I leve it a day till I put a hole rabbit in again take around 2 days for them to eat the rabbit evry time I take them ferreting ther on an empty stomach the only reason I want a working ferret is to get the sent through a Warren so the kits can follow it also stops me looking like an idiot leaving the farm empty handed all the time

have you got any from kits and started them off ? sorry I see you have :)

Edited by terryd

Find a small burry sit on your arse with a fag or brew and let the ferret explore the holes and do its own thing.sit there for a good hour.

Get a rabbit skin tye it to some string and drag it about the ground near the ferret they will soon grab it.

If I was selling a ferret and the guy wanted to see it work I would politely tell him.mate it works I've told you it works.

You are wasting my time.if my word ain't good enough go somewhere else to buy a ferret.

I'd love to but all the warrens are through the hedge line making it head work to keep an eye on them even with locators and bells

I got two ferrets 5 weeks ago, i got some old drain pipe and dragged a rabbit through it and dragged it across the garden too, then put the ferret down on the ground and she knew what to do, they are totally different ferrets when out then when at home,

The seller told me they were from working stock, good enough for me,

But i have found you have to let them finish before you pick them out the holes or out their hutch (let them come to you) or theyll skulk and snap at you,

Ive only had one out in the field so far but she took to it really well shes bolted plenty but ive missed holes, the others out on her first trip monday, but ithink shell do fine,

As to feeding mine are on chicks, one each morning and night plus dry food down all the time. And a starve day on thursday

They have rabbit, lung, kidneys, heart and meat. liver every other weekend and an egg purely for entertainment reasons, even the neibours watch out the window of ferrets rolling an egg round the garden.

You have to spend time with them, pick them up, talk to them, i let the kids play with them now the ferrets arent affraid of nothing.

Maybe ive been lucky, but i like to think ive trained them to a point.

FF

• Like 1

1 why no get orginised and buy a kit or two and train them up yourself ?

2 to make sure your getting a kit from working stock , why no invite folk out for a day on your permission and if you like how there ferrets work book a kit or two from them

3 never buy a adult anything working because unless theres a marriage break up whos going to offer a good working dog /ferret up theres mates seeing it work and knowing its a good one would be on it like a flash

• Like 4

£30 for a ferret,?? I want to see it work. Most ferrets are usually free or £10 at most.

Best to get your ferrets in spring summer people can't get rid quick enough. This time of year they disappear

If you're looking for an experienced ferret to show kits the way why not offer a day out to someone who has one? It wouldn't cost you anything then.

If the warrens you are doing are big then it may also be that the rabbits are giving the ferrets the run round and you need more than a couple to get them out.

• Like 1