A Proper Winter Or Not ??? ..........

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Indians asked their Chief in Autumn if the Winter was going to be cold or not. Not really knowing an answer, the chief replies that the Winter was going to be cold and that the members of the vill

Lots of berries means a good pollination the previous spring, not a hard winter.   TC

I think there's a few members on here who use a bit of snow to blow their minds.

Posted Images

The bushes and trees were still hanging with fruit in December last winter! There was a massive wild harvest. I don't hold much faith in that old country tale for predicting a hard winter.

Wasn't it also reported some bird had the earliest migration on record too? I can't remember what it was (Russian Swans?) but the same old prophets were saying it means a hard winter is coming like something out of Game of Thrones! LOL

• Like 1

I wouldn't trust any prediction, we heard all this last year with that El Nino bollocks........... and every other year.

Is it me or does there seem to be a lot of Northerlies this autumn though?

We have had Northerlies and Easterlies this autumn because of a prominent high pressure over Europe it is all to do with the NAO North Atlantic Oscillation that controls the two main features of the North Atlantic weather The Icelandic low and the Azores high The pressure difference between those two weather features largely governs the jet streams movement. All the pointers so far this year point to a colder dryer winter. We shall see?

TC

• Like 2

I wouldn't trust any prediction, we heard all this last year with that El Nino bollocks........... and every other year.

Is it me or does there seem to be a lot of Northerlies this autumn though?

We have had Northerlies and Easterlies this autumn because of a prominent high pressure over Europe it is all to do with the NAO North Atlantic Oscillation that controls the two main features of the North Atlantic weather The Icelandic low and the Azores high The pressure difference between those two weather features largely governs the jet streams movement. All the pointers so far this year point to a colder dryer winter. We shall see?

TC

Ah so I haven't just imagined it. To be honest the wind direction is volatile, it has been going through a full 360 in 24hrs at times.

I agree that if these northerlies keep up then cold blasts are to be expected but every other prediction of harsh winter seems reasonable in the autumn. I just don't think we can weight these observations particularly heavily.

We get far wetter weather in the West of the country than they do in the East because of our proximity to the North Atlantic and the gulf stream. A lot of the weather on the Eastern side of the country is influenced by the continent and to be honest I do not have a clue how the weather works there.

This side of the country I can look at a chart of the North Atlantic for the week ahead and have a fair idea of what the week will bring as a synopsis rather than a detailed forecast. When you click on the link you will see a big high pressure in the middle of the Atlantic that is the Azores high and it is a lot further north than it usually is and has been for the last month or so the fact that it is so far North is stopping the warm moist air from the Caribbean travelling across the Atlantic and allowing the High pressure from Europe to travel further West than it normally does.

TC

Edited by Tiercel
  • Like 1

No you're right Crusty. Me and Tiercel just made it up because we didn't have anything better to do and we really give a shit what you believe.

FFS. Not everyone lies just for the sake of it.

And I don't live in Carmarthenshire.

Been warm here in the daytimes and all last few days.. :yes: Can thank the gulf stream for that, we always have milder weather in the winter here in the far West, along with parts of Cornwall, for the unbelievers. We have the longest growing season on the mainland UK..

No you're right Crusty. Me and Tiercel just made it up because we didn't have anything better to do and we really give a shit what you believe.

FFS. Not everyone lies just for the sake of it.

And I don't live in Carmarthenshire.

I'm winding you up dopey