Best Dog For Hare On Small Fields

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of the best rabbit lamping dogs I've ever watched was a first cross pit bull X greyhound ',,this was back in the late ,s early 90s,,,small bitch 22 inch would runn all night,,and did...   Don't

wee bitch up n at them,big or small land doesnt matter.

23" a handy size for anywhere

Posted Images

A lot seem to think that just because the field is only a few acres that the run will be other with after a couple of bends then onto the next which is not always the case, if it's the right time of year n just a few guddens on the land n then you drop on a gudden with a few tricks up its sleeve n hare gets out n dog knows her job n can jump n hedge then it can have a right battle on its hands so needs the right weapons in its arsenal, so not just as simple as goin runnin a few early season duffers with a speed machine, then of course they gota last n do the job season after season not always easy..

• Like 4

By no means am I saying it is easy for any dog to get the best of a hare given fair lore but when it was legal I found if you wanted to be successful in getting a good casarol of the land we hunted a dog with a good bit of whippet in it was the dog for the job but not a full whippet something with a good bit of brain power and good feet ie a lurcher of a smaller size

Why not a bull cross? :ninja:

Because you recon a bull x cant even catch rabbits.

Didn't say that. I said my old dog would catch more game in six weeks than your bull x could in six months.
Would that be by weight or numbers :D
  • Like 2

I'd say a good hare dog will catch in small fields or fen but adjust it's running to suit. Some know on massive land they won't catch in 30 seconds so go steady . Same dog will jump through fire to catch in smaller fields .

• Like 7

I'd say a good hare dog will catch in small fields or fen but adjust it's running to suit. Some know on massive land they won't catch in 30 seconds so go steady . Same dog will jump through fire to catch in smaller fields .

Spot on
Beddy whippet!!
  • Like 1

I also find it strange when people think you need a small dog for small fields as other than the first few yards an average or bigger dog (all else being equal) will generally be quicker.

It's being able to manage the speed that will make the difference.

• Like 2

FFS will you never learn? I think a few would have flagged themselves up on this thread. All pre ban of course!! There will be some that are getting a lot more "guest" on what they are reading and on what they post.

TC

Edited by Tiercel
  • Like 2

Any lurcher x lurcher would do imo... Breeding don't really matter

This dog could spin a hare in a small field , having said that it wasn't given fairlaw just hunted up and ran , didn't do to bad considering he was little more than half running dogpost-11162-0-82796000-1478040963.jpg

FFS will you never learn? I think a few would have flagged themselves up on this thread. All pre ban of course!! There will be some that are getting a lot more "guest" on what they are reading and on what they post.

TC

as stated on other posts the hare was shot and retrieved :icon_redface:

Why not a bull cross? :ninja:

Because you recon a bull x cant even catch rabbits.

Didn't say that. I said my old dog would catch more game in six weeks than your bull x could in six months.
Would that be by weight or numbers :D

Both :D. The old dog's long dead and buried now, but he was a very good dog, with no bull blood in him, and his father was ............... hancock's 'taffy' :o !! Lol :thumbs:

Edited to add, would I have another beardie blooded dog? Not a cat in hell's chance!

Edited by shaaark