Nighthunters Whippets And Mallyfield Whippets

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My dog Sagar is 21 1/2" His Mother Vixen 20 1/2" I used nice typey, strong, show bred stud dogs to produce both mainly because none of the lads i asked with 'working whippets' at the time would let me

Yes quite a few showbred dogs carry coursing lines, I do like them there far more biddable than the racing type whippets and even though i can't speak of any others apart from my own, mine have been r

23 inch!!! If I bought a pup and it grew to 23 inch I'd batter the breeder with the dog, if a dog goes over 21tts it ain't a whippet

Posted Images

Yes quite a few showbred dogs carry coursing lines, I do like them there far more biddable than the racing type whippets and even though i can't speak of any others apart from my own, mine have been relatively easy to train. They will work to hand signals to pick up game or find a squatter out in the fields and like you say they have plenty of wind for the longer runs.

You can't beat a dog with a nice deep chest In my opinion, plenty of room for heart and lungs.

IMG_3224-001_zpsweemelup.jpg

Vixen in her prime (she's 91/2 now)

IMG_0806.jpg

Steve66 I traveled down to gloster and used Helen Waymans dog (scarletfair one knight) to produce 'Vixen' and then i used a dog in lincolnshire (near cadwell park) to produce 'Sagar'. I traveled miles looking at dogs until i decided on which one to use which complimented the bitch.

Edited by mally
  • Like 13

My dog Sagar is 21 1/2" His Mother Vixen 20 1/2" I used nice typey, strong, show bred stud dogs to produce both mainly because none of the lads i asked with 'working whippets' at the time would let me see there dogs work before i used them over my bitch 'Vixen' and before her, her mother Jess.Whippets have got bigger over the years, go to any kennel club show and take a look at them. You'd struggle to find a dog in the ring under 20" and also struggle to see a bitch under 19"I like a stronger type that can take a knock or two in the field and most importantly retrieve to hand, not stand over it expecting you to walk to them.I've been more than happy with both Vixen and Sagar, although there getting on a bit now there still catching most days wether that's fur or feather. I've only ever bred a litter for a pup myself, that's why i only bred the one litter from Vixen. IMG_1257%20-%20Copy_zpswi5mq51l.jpgSagar and Vixen

They can run these two for sure..

• Like 1

If you go on YouTube and type in mallyfield whippets and look at fern saves the day,you will see Mally's black lab bitch bring a light Sussex chicken back from the other side of the river which a fox scattered 1 night from his mate pens.it all ready brought one back the day before but he didn't video it but he did this time.the bitch is 12yrs old at the time and a joy to watch to.

• Like 2

Nice dogs

What age you can you work them till????

Vixen was still lamping at 8 years old and still catching well, now at 91/2 i take her for the odd morning ferreting but just guarding the nets and marking the warrens. She's still catching on her walks although she's using her nose and catching in cover more as she hasn't the pace to catch that often in the open. She still loves getting the tree rats lol

If you go on YouTube and type in mallyfield whippets and look at fern saves the day,you will see Mally's black lab bitch bring a light Sussex chicken back from the other side of the river which a fox scattered 1 night from his mate pens.it all ready brought one back the day before but he didn't video it but he did this time.the bitch is 12yrs old at the time and a joy to watch to.

Ha Ha She was 10 mate in the Video.

Here it is if anyones interested.

https://youtu.be/2AdiK9ZDr5o

• Like 3

Ha Ha She was 10 mate in the Video.

Here it is if anyones interested.

That's flew over mate goes to show ya how time flies ?

Nothing to do with people disagreeing with me. There will always be and always has been 23" whippets even from dogs that are 20" themselves. Call me a clown whatever u like but the simple fact remains pure whippets have produced 23" dogs, just because their 23" don't mean there not a whippet. Same as greyhounds go as low as 23", just because their usually 26+ don't mean they ain't greyhounds.

I really could go on all day about various other breeds lol

Well said