Rabbit Decline

iana

Not sure this is the correct section but has anyone experienced a sharp decline in rabbit numbers?

I have 4000 acres and there are hardly any rabbits lately. I have put this down to the RVHD virus as they have all disappeared over the past few months. It has literally wiped out the population. I used to be able to go out and shoot 6-10 quite easily. The past four weeks I have shot three!

Took the dog out bushing last weekend and he wasn't even marking any of the holes.

I would normally start ferreting around now but there's no point if there's no rabbits!!

I went travelling to get my permissions its handy if you have a block of permission on your doorstep but ive got mine scattered about and while theres very few rabbits on some there a good few rabbits on others in other areas

Got a bad feeling this year RHD2 and Mixy about and spreading lads reporting low numbers. Farmers reporting picking up 10 or 20 dead rabbits. Getting some but down on last year, we don't get big numbers. We averaged about 10 a trip last year this year 5 or 6 not looking good.

Cheers Arry

Definitely feel rabbit numbers having been steadily declining for 4/5 years. Used to be able to go to same spots year after year and catch similar numbers, now I find myself carefully selecting which warrens to ferret and trying to not hunt an area to hard to leave plenty for breeding. Never used to have to worry. We would regularly catch 50+ but haven't done at for years now. The only positive is rabbits will find a way I just hope it doesn't take 20 years for them to do it! Good luck finding some rabbits everyone. Atb

• Like 1

All my local spots have been cleared out with myxi this year. i had a couple of cracking spots where you would literally see hundreds of rabbits running around, not now. on one of them i only saw 3 rabbits last time i was lamping on it and the other areas there is nothing around at all. they went from overrun to dead in 2 months.

• Like 1

Yea man made like mixy VHD was man made and comes from China. I've been asked by farmers in the past to get them a mixy rabbit ( of course I refused ) but sure moving it around does happen. Went for a walk on some ground where I ferreted as a kid the other day, it was so dead not one dingle berry any where.

Cheers Arry

I rember talking to a big farmer a couple of years ago and he said relations in Kent had RHD and it flattened the rabbits and he wanted it up here as he blamed the rabbits for everything that went wrong with his cereal crops . but i think the difference in temperature might stop it coming into Scotland ? it might be to cold for it here like most things .

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.