Dew Claw Removal Whats The Disadvantages

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’ve said this before on a post.  Two old dog men, sadly no longer with us, who I had a lot of respect for, had completely opposite views on dew claws. Typp Ratcher  would penalise any dog with

I know that most people have issues leaving dew claws on lurchers, but in over 30 years, I've only ever had to have one dog's dewclaws removed as an adult. I think it depends a lot on the breeding, an

There is none..only posertives

Posted Images

I know that most people have issues leaving dew claws on lurchers, but in over 30 years, I've only ever had to have one dog's dewclaws removed as an adult. I think it depends a lot on the breeding, and how large and floppy the dew claws are. If you have a type/breed/line that is known to have those sort of dewclaws, then it is best to remove them at a couple of days old. But if they are small, neat, and don't grow away from the leg, then leave them on. Dogs do use their dewclaws to hold onto bones they are chewing, and they can, on wet ground, act as grips when turning fast. I'm sure most will disagree with me, but those are just my findings and thoughts.

• Like 3

deff have them off as young pup, because if you get probs later on with a adult dog , it will be expensive for the op, because its like have your thumb removed, and poss about 5 weeks rest+lead work after after the op.Bryn still got his and do get few probs now/then, Buck had his off as young pup, and no prob :thumbs:

I know that most people have issues leaving dew claws on lurchers, but in over 30 years, I've only ever had to have one dog's dewclaws removed as an adult. I think it depends a lot on the breeding, and how large and floppy the dew claws are. If you have a type/breed/line that is known to have those sort of dewclaws, then it is best to remove them at a couple of days old. But if they are small, neat, and don't grow away from the leg, then leave them on. Dogs do use their dewclaws to hold onto bones they are chewing, and they can, on wet ground, act as grips when turning fast. I'm sure most will disagree with me, but those are just my findings and thoughts.

Skycat, I heard a very good Greyhound trainer giving similar advice nearly 30 years ago.