Working After Litter

Once fully fit they should be ready as any to do as much as any thats my opinion.

Have to agree with that.

Glad to say I haven't had the stories that some lads are after describing. Must be a head wrecker to breed from a good bitch and see her quit after coming back to work after the litter.

And a reason not to breed her again and from none of the litter .

Yep, that's the head wrecking part.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hormones, I've seen bitches hard as nails after a litter and I've seen bitches never work again after a litter. .......woman problems, men weren't meant to understand

I think you've answered your own question there mate. Get her tightened up make sure she has everything she needs, give her plenty of exercise and road walking, a good worming, good grub and plenty of

She had nine pups, and if reared properly then she had them til 8 weeks, and if they are 11 weeks now,then he's trying to work her after 3 weeks of coming away from them, she must be absolutely exaust

Hormones are one thing we blokes know nothing about,so I'm told monthly ,so why try to work out a riddle that's got no answer .Its pure common sense to let the bitch recover from the pups but its also important to have kept her fit and active during and after .I can't remember a bitch not working straight after but can a few that weren't committed the same as before to then tail off to a poor standard .These are the bitches I refer to not to breed to nor from the litter .I wouldn't say it was because of the litter as I'm no biologist but that is sometimes the defining point in a bitches career.

• Like 2

Postnatal depression women have it don't see why it can't happen to a bitch so why can't you work the litter after this happens I mean you must of thought enough of the bitch to put a dog to her in the first place shourly given time will sort it's self out I'm most probably talking sh#t but just a thought

Hypothetically speaking say a guy has a bitch that he's worked for 6/7 seasons and tested her properly, realised she's a good honest animal, so decides to take a litter out of her. How's does he know that bitch after pups is going to switch off? Simple answer is he doesn't! So stop talking shit lads.

Edited by THE GENERAL
  • Like 2

The majority of them pick up where they left off some come back harder than before, no two dogs are the same the odd one might quit or not be anywhere good as before but I haven't seen it happen very often. If they're well looked after and given plenty of time to recover and tighten up they should be grand. I can't see much more to it.

• Like 2

I bow to your superier knowledge mate

FD as I said I haven't came across it never mind think it would be a common thing that a bitch would just drop off work wise after being bred. So as for superior knowledge I don't have any. Obviously you wouldn't want to breed of said bitch again but would you still run the litter on as you would with the hope of best results and if they did make the grade would that then maybe change your views or would you not breed of them either?

Sorry for being a bit sarcastic mate .Traipsed the fields today only to find 4 of my spots been dug by the hunt yesterday and badly too so was in a pisser when i got in lol.

Personally ,if for whatever reason a bitch jacks i dont breed again or from any of her offspring .Just something ive always done ,might be shite but id like to think theres a bit to it and has resulted in 75% or more success rate in litters ..At my age ,something ive always done aint going to change now lol.Hope your season is better than mine at the moment .

• Like 2

Very hard to pinpoint 100% that it was the pups or heat causing the lack of commitment and if a bitch is coming in season twice a year and is not right a few weeks before and after cycle that's a long time for them to be rested and when they come back are they half arsed at there work and is kennel blindness creeping in making excuses for the bitch. Hard decisions to be made so if unsure don't breed. If there's an equal working bitch in the yard without this problem then it has to be a better option.

• Like 2

Sounds like you had a right stinker then. There obviously is more to it in them circumstances of a bitch jacking after a litter. I only have dogs, one other friend only keeps bitches and the rest of the lads both. I'm not questioning your methods FD they make sense the only thing I'd say was if a bitch was thought good enough to breed off then it's hardly the resulting litters fault of the dams hormones etc. after being bred to stop any further breeding of the resulting litter if they make the grade. With a high success rate of workers like you say then cancelling out any bad whatsoever no matter the circumstances then it must make a difference.

Edited by THE GENERAL