Back At It!!

Well with all the waiting about and hoping we might get this channel row done over the last 4 weeks, the ferreting has been hard to organise and commit too.

But with the 4th cancellation in a row again this weekend I jumped at the chance of a days ferreting with Snifferboy (Dan) on his permission, especially as he said it was all open buries,!!

A call to SeanC and the day was set, nice early meet in Okehampton and a short ride with Dan to the permission just over the border into janner country (cornawall)..

Dan was starting his pup (Penny) he bred last year off on the ferreting and Sean had bought along his border pup (Reggie), I was looking forward to seeing these 2 again and also giving my youngster a good blast..

Penny

image010_zpsbbcvz0zu.jpg

REG

image008_zpsncs09weq.jpg

Fergie

image004_zpsev6kmdup.jpg

Well the land did not disappoint, loads of obvious rabbit activity, dogs marking all over and most of it never had a bramble, nettle or any other nasty anywhere near it....perfect!

We started off on a big set which was dug into the bottom of the steep hill, we ran a long net along the hedge line at the bottom, broke the sets up with some stop nets and but all the holes were left open so the dogs could stretch their legs.

It all went pretty much to plan, the 2 pups took a while to settle and realise where the action was but Dans youngster was soon switched on and intent on the action, Reggie was acting like an adolescent terrier does, showing interest then disappearing into the hedgerow for a hunt of his own... I think Sean may have called his name once... or twice.. :D

image002_zpsm3egxagp.jpg

image006_zpsdytddawu.jpg

image004_zpstpiteeap.jpg

image007_zpsysc4ngd3.jpg

The ferrets were down and busy and soon enough we'd rattled through this first bit and had 11 in the bag, a decent start... Me and Dan started packing up and Sean went to find his dog! lol

We set up on the next burrie in the next door field, another nice open one, broken up with small bits of gorse etc.. before the ferrets went in Dan pulled a small wood stove and kettle out of his gigantic bag, and got to making teas, we sat round and had a cuppa and bit off piss taking for half an hour, it was a cracking spot and TBH I could've sat there all day having the craic, but we had a few more hours to bolt some rabbits..

image006_zpskrva4tq6.jpg

This was a much smaller set, but we had another 4 out of it and one killed in which we couldn't get too unfortunately... Dan said there was a nice small set we could finish the day on, so a quick pick up and we set off again... Dan picked up his pint of milk... me and Sean picked up everything else like a pair of mules!! :D

image002_zpsl2dgepxh.jpg

Sean really should've called the terrier Fenton, even our dogs were responding to the shouts of Reggie by now... lol

image004_zpsbwbovvkg.jpg

As we entered the next field the farmer came up the track and said he'd move the sheep out for us into the next field, he bought the sheep past with his collie and headed down the lane into the field, young Reggie thought perhaps he was a border collie and not border terrier, so off he headed with "REGGIE" ringing in his ears to help the farmer. TBF he was almost the perfect student, the farmer called his collie off and Reg rounded the sheep up like a pro and drove them through the gate, the farmer had far more control over him than Sean, and was quite impressed with him...Sean came back up the field to us setting up and took a little stick !! :toast:

Well this didn't quite go to plan, the first rabbit bolted lovely, in the long net, 1 down.. the next hit the net, Dan kicked it out, it hit the net again, Dan kicked it out again...Penny took up the chase and just missed on the hedge, fully committed though and was very unlucky...

image009_zps2bu7y3z3.jpg

Now ity was my time to make myself look a twat, another rabbit bolted and was nicely in the net, Fergie pinned her and as soon as I asked let it go, I untangled the rabbit and was about to neck it... but thought hey we've had a good day I'll let this one go!! :icon_redface:

Ensue piss taking from both sides, quite rightly so... what a twat!!! :blink:

It was a top day though and all the little cracks is what makes it for me, not too serious, catch a few, watch the dogs work, and enjoy being out there with a couple of mates who enjoy the banter...

image010_zpsgwyyxf8s.jpg

Thanks a lot to Dan for having us on a bit of his, we've got a fair bit to get at this year again so hopefully this row will be done soon enough and we can really get going...

image008_zps1cxhdano.jpg

image006_zpsvu3njmvz.jpg

• Like 9

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well with all the waiting about and hoping we might get this channel row done over the last 4 weeks, the ferreting has been hard to organise and commit too. But with the 4th cancellation in a row aga

To be fair Dan your dog never strayed to far away, it's probably because it was tide up like a kipper in the long net

I'm surprised Kevin didn't want to fight you Dan when you lit up your cooker ... you know what he is like around a fire with a drink in his hand ..........

Cracking little write up and pics ... well done lads sounds like a cracking day ... keg it's basics that you kill the rabbits in the net before removing them ... fukcing amature ......

Late in the day, tired, weak wrists, terrier harrasing the f**k out of me....... and I'm a complete f***ing amateur!! lol

Nice write up Kev (twat) you never mentioned Reggie pissing up Dans leg

:laugh::laugh: ... there was too much to mention, I laughed again today when I thought about your face as Reg went to help out the farmer... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Top day though good laugh mate

• Like 1