Any Deerhound Based X Pup Suggestions.....

post-102608-0-62520600-1477419004_thumb.png this is an old hancocks bitch I use to run unreal on rabbits if one was heading to a hedge or cover she would take over the rabbit and guard the cover like a goal keeper, she would run upto squatters put her left foot down but lean to the right to fool the rabbit, she matched on the fens on a couple of occasions too, she was unreal at her job, but deffanitely wasn't a hard dog

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Deer/grey playing on the beach        

Whilst the Germans don't kill Jews anymore some people still want to have the same pot filling lurchers or whippets like some people still use a catapult,yes they fell out of favour for bull xs or sal

Been thinking of getting a pup out of this old un before he gets to old.... if i find the right bitch

Posted Images

There's some cracking pictures there. Thanks for everyones input and messages. I've given much thought and after a chat with Trevor cookland, I'm going to wait till a half cross comes up. They sound like game dogs.

I wouldn't say game exactly.... at least not in the way a good bullcross or wheaton cross is but if they're brought up right with enough confidence in you and in themselves they'll have a good shot at most stuff. That's what I've found anyway.

I bought a stock broken 3/8 5/8 bull x off here once..... It was game for anything sheep, cows etc. I did manage to sort it.... wasn't the dogs fault and I don't think it'd ever been out anywhere. Id love another but I've got a small child and won't take any risks (alright his mother said no)

:doh: do bull crosses hurt children then? If I'd known that I wouldn't have bought my bitch 10 years ago ,or bred off her to another bull cross,Shit I'm worried now

There's some cracking pictures there. Thanks for everyones input and messages. I've given much thought and after a chat with Trevor cookland, I'm going to wait till a half cross comes up. They sound like game dogs.

I wouldn't say game exactly.... at least not in the way a good bullcross or wheaton cross is but if they're brought up right with enough confidence in you and in themselves they'll have a good shot at most stuff. That's what I've found anyway.

I bought a stock broken 3/8 5/8 bull x off here once..... It was game for anything sheep, cows etc. I did manage to sort it.... wasn't the dogs fault and I don't think it'd ever been out anywhere. Id love another but I've got a small child and won't take any risks (alright his mother said no)

:doh: do bull crosses hurt children then? If I'd known that I wouldn't have bought my bitch 10 years ago ,or bred off her to another bull cross,Shit I'm worried now

I like them, the Mrs doesn't and she'd be nervous, which would rub off on the dog. Mine were good and worked to their full potential.... but I'd be concerned leaving someone uneducated around that type my boys nearly 2.

I like them, the Mrs doesn't and she'd be nervous, which would rub off on the dog. Mine were good and worked to their full potential.... but I'd be concerned leaving someone uneducated around that type my boys nearly 2.

Then maybe it's your missus that needs educating instead of blaming the dog, and as fare as the little fella goes I wouldn't leave a child unsupervised around any dog, Jack Russell to bull mastiff

Then maybe it's your missus that needs educating instead of blaming the dog, and as fare as the little fella goes I wouldn't leave a child unsupervised around any dog, Jack Russell to bull mastiff

that's what I've said.... But agree with any dog

I would say a dog with a bit of bull in them,would be as safe,if not safer around children.

Children can be a nuisance around dogs if allowed ,and most bull types tend to be patient and have a decent pain threshold ,for the occasional ear pull ,or poke in the eye.

As game rooster said educate the missus ,as that's how bad rumours start lol

• Like 1

i've left all my deer/greys with my new born baby/toddlers and yound nieces and nephews ranging from 3 days to 15 years and i didn't just trust them,i used them as baby sitters.my son had a fantastic relationship with em.you won't get that from a bucket head.

i've left all my deer/greys with my new born baby/toddlers and yound nieces and nephews ranging from 3 days to 15 years and i didn't just trust them,i used them as baby sitters.my son had a fantastic relationship with em.you won't get that from a bucket head.
why would that be?

I would say a dog with a bit of bull in them,would be as safe,if not safer around children.

Children can be a nuisance around dogs if allowed ,and most bull types tend to be patient and have a decent pain threshold ,for the occasional ear pull ,or poke in the eye.

I've always said this about the pain threshold, though the majority of bulldogs aren't what they where originally, so this doesn't really apply to modern day dogs

you can't educate a city slicker, I've only managed to wangle a deerhound because she's Scottish, I was threatened with a cockapoodle. I said I'd have the bucket ready!

Bollocks.

My bitch is and always has been a saint around both my kids, since they were bairns. I have pictures after my eldest Disney princesses her up, clip on earings Inc ??

That dog would go in the field and work a full day on whatever she had to ;)

• Like 2

I've always said this about the pain threshold, though the majority of bulldogs aren't what they where originally, so this doesn't really apply to modern day dogs

I think the pain threshold thing is still there ,well with my older bitch it certainly is/was of course it must be less so than a full bulldog of good breeding, but I'd certainly trust a bull cross more so than a lot of pet breeds what would be around children in a home.