Any Deerhound Based X Pup Suggestions.....

I have a 1 year old and a 4 year old I also have a retired bull cross bitch who loves the kids they pull her ears and alsorts n she does nothing n she lived in a kennel for 7 years with no interaction with kids whatso ever for most of them years,

post-102608-0-45091000-1477465631_thumb.jpgpost-102608-0-87893000-1477465742_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Deer/grey playing on the beach        

Whilst the Germans don't kill Jews anymore some people still want to have the same pot filling lurchers or whippets like some people still use a catapult,yes they fell out of favour for bull xs or sal

Been thinking of getting a pup out of this old un before he gets to old.... if i find the right bitch

Posted Images

There is a lot of dogs with people problems of all breeds, had these dogs for 30 year + my daughter just had a pup off me I wouldn't be without one. Handy for some things if you know how to train dogs. the brindle bitch is a whippet/DH/Grey14206075_1255626651114070_3826121609318714708045_1578807882224139_62147359850980

• Like 1

If you didn't know back in world war 1 the pitbull was actually named as the 'nanny dog' when the men went to war and the women went to work they would leave pit bulls to look after the children.

Ah that old story again, I think you need to read up on your sporting dog history and put this nanny dog thing to sleep once and for all

• Like 3

What could a dog bring to lurcher breeding that hasn't been worked properly in hundreds of years over a collie that are some of the most talented working dogs out there

Well, I must have been hallucinating earlier this afternoon then when my deerhound bitch, (bred from a long line of workers or did I hallucinate that as well) was out with the terriers, and appeared to be appeared to be working (and working well) the game they turned out of cover. In my experience something north of 50% of UK deerhounds work live game which is probably a higher percentage of workers that you will find among collies these days most of which don't do anything more than chase balls around the park.

• Like 2

What could a dog bring to lurcher breeding that hasn't been worked properly in hundreds of years over a collie that are some of the most talented working dogs out there

Well, I must have been hallucinating earlier this afternoon then when my deerhound bitch, (bred from a long line of workers or did I hallucinate that as well) was out with the terriers, and appeared to be appeared to be working (and working well) the game they turned out of cover. In my experience something north of 50% of UK deerhounds work live game which is probably a higher percentage of workers that you will find among collies these days most of which don't do anything more than chase balls around the park.

I'm a fan of deerhounds but "north of 50%" work live game????? c'mon, surely that's not true. IMHO most of the truly working deerhounds and deerhound lurchers in Europe are here in Ireland and even here 50% would be wildly optimistic. I've always been heartened by your input on the deerhound threads here but 50% has got to be an exaggeration these days. I'm sure that even in the 70's and 80's when I lived in the UK a lot less than 50% of deerhounds worked live game.

In fact I'd be surprised if even 50% of the breeders back then worked any of their hounds to game, never mind 50% of them.

Edited by Maximus Ferret
  • Like 1

I'm a fan of deerhounds but "north of 50%" work live game????? c'mon, surely that's not true. IMHO most of the truly working deerhounds and deerhound lurchers in Europe are here in Ireland and even here 50% would be wildly optimistic. I've always been heartened by your input on the deerhound threads here but 50% has got to be an exaggeration these days. I'm sure that even in the 70's and 80's when I lived in the UK a lot less than 50% of deerhounds worked live game.

In fact I'd be surprised if even 50% of the breeders back then worked any of their hounds to game, never mind 50% of them.

It is really hard to put figures on things like this, and as someone with an interest in working dogs I guess that I tend mostly to come into contact with people who work their dogs. I have never shown a dog and don't have anything to do with the show fraternity but, as I have got further into the deerhound community and people have opened up to me I have found more and more workers. There aren't many purebreds about but, a surprising percentage do work, sometimes against their owners best wishes given the proliferation of suitable large game around the UK. I guess that if you hang around dog shows you may get one view of deerhounds and if like me, you tend to run across them on farms, livery yards and hunt kennels you will get a different view

• Like 1

Catching the odd bit of game doesn't make it a worker, I worked on a stable yand and they had a deerhound, caught a couple of muntjac but wouldn't consider it a working dog, big useless brain dead plodder

Edited by gamerooster

Catching the odd bit of game doesn't make it a worker, I worked on a stable yand and they had a deerhound, caught a couple of muntjac but wouldn't consider it a working dog

, big useless brain dead plodder

I wouldn't really consider muntjac as much of a test for a deerhound either, once they know how to take them. If they could drop something twice their own weight I'd be impressed.

• Like 2

Catching the odd bit of game doesn't make it a worker, I worked on a stable yand and they had a deerhound, caught a couple of muntjac but wouldn't consider it a working dog, big useless brain dead plodder

out of interest what dog do you run?

Always ran salukis but after losing my last dog tempted to try a kelpie greyhound

What does make a worker in your eyes? How often does a dog have to work to be considered a worker? I live in a place with a lot of game all around. Now, year in year out, barring illness and business trips away, I have worked my dogs just about every day of the year for more than 40 years now. I do a lot of daytime work with terriers, lurchers and hounds and some lamping. I used to do a lot more lamping but not so much now, except as we roll into winter most of the time I am taking the dogs out in the evening in the dark, so I take the lamp with me and run whatever I come across and I come across a lot of stuff! I am very fortunate to live somewhere where a toddle up the road for a few hundred yards gets me among the game and I'm also lucky in having sufficient types and numbers of game to always have something suitable in season to work, so, does working it every day make my deerhound bitch a worker or not?

• Like 1

What does make a worker in your eyes? How often does a dog have to work to be considered a worker? I live in a place with a lot of game all around. Now, year in year out, barring illness and business trips away, I have worked my dogs just about every day of the year for more than 40 years now. I do a lot of daytime work with terriers, lurchers and hounds and some lamping. I used to do a lot more lamping but not so much now, except as we roll into winter most of the time I am taking the dogs out in the evening in the dark, so I take the lamp with me and run whatever I come across and I come across a lot of stuff! I am very fortunate to live somewhere where a toddle up the road for a few hundred yards gets me among the game and I'm also lucky in having sufficient types and numbers of game to always have something suitable in season to work, so, does working it every day make my deerhound bitch a worker or not?

A dog that can do its job consistently