Having read so many stories on the Photon requiring shimmed, because it sometimes runs out of adjustment, I thought I'd have a go at working some calculations based on my own set-up, which has been adjusted to the POI, but there's only 7 "clicks" left on the elevation, and I dont like the cross hairs so low in the screen.

Its clear to me, there's a generic fault with the Photon, as it looks very much like its been set up for long range shooting, and not the usual 100Yds we usually zero in at. I use a Picatinny rail, and Yukon's own one piece mount, therefore it should really be much closer to the POI, than it is out the box (the cross hairs were 11.5cm too high).

This in itself wouldn't be a problem with a normal scope, as the cross hairs stay in the centre of the scope, however on the Photo, you could end up with the cross hairs right at the bottom of the screen, as its adjusted electronically and doesn't self centre, hence its pretty important to get the scope near as damn to the POI your zeroing at.

Also, I haven't looked at the windage, but the calculation would be the same if its ever needed.

I hope this is clear enough to understand. It may help someone in the future.

Yukon really do need to address this, as no one should need to shim a new scope.

2ey8ihl.jpg

You can adjust the photon POI by slackening the semi circular clamp at the back of the front camera unit near the tube. This may invalidate warranty though.

Set X0 and Y0 Fire a shot, close range 30-40yds for ease , keep rifle steady in same position , or use a shooting stand. Slacken clamps (may be tight with a small amount of adhesive) then move front of photon so the digital cross hairs are bang on with your bullet entry point , tighten tube clamps again.

It should then need minimal adjustment at your zero range for your setup and be central.

You can adjust the photon POI by slackening the semi circular clamp at the back of the front camera unit near the tube. This may invalidate warranty though.

Set X0 and Y0 Fire a shot, close range 30-40yds for ease , keep rifle steady in same position , or use a shooting stand. Slacken clamps (may be tight with a small amount of adhesive) then move front of photon so the digital cross hairs are bang on with your bullet entry point , tighten tube clamps again.

It should then need minimal adjustment at your zero range for your setup and be central.

I know Ian, but as you rightly say, it invalidates the warranty, which Yukon & Jacks have confirmed.

It's poor having to either shim or adjust the back plate, and spoils an otherwise great unit.

I'm going to live with the low cross hairs for now, or until I've a new batch of rounds to set up, then i may stick in shims.

Incidentally, I noticed in another post recommending 25 MOA shims. These would need to be fitted in reverse. That is -25 MOA, the high shim at the back, lowering the cross hairs.