Self Preservation

The best catch dogs that I have owned/seen,..all had one thing in common,...they wanted their quarry, more than life itself... :yes:

img098.tif.jpg

And I bet they weren't bull xs and even if they were I'd bet again you didn't keep them types because you wanted to brag about it. It was because they caught more, which after all is the aim of the game...right ? Or am I missing something here.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well Lads i am compelled to write to this thread, So you have reared your pup, fed, watered, exercised, to the last, then you have carefully entered the dog spent a lot of time on Schooling the dog

My take on it is that I want a dog to try it's utmost to catch, but I also want it to remain spatially aware of its surroundings and dangerous obstacles. It's a big ask when a dog is 100% focused on w

It sounds like the same stupid attitude that brags that a dog won't jack on a hare even though it's pissing blood and can hardly stand. Something to do with the dog having the balls its owner is lacki

Posted Images

I am lucky enough to have permission on some land with that many rabbits 9n it you can actually stand on one every 10 ft I met a guy said his dog would mop up on there and would go all night some super dog so I took him lamping his dog managed 42 rabbits with hardly time to piss between them and was carried back to his car I'm going there tonight gonna shoot me some rabbits

I am lucky enough to have permission on some land with that many rabbits 9n it you can actually stand on one every 10 ft I met a guy said his dog would mop up on there and would go all night some super dog so I took him lamping his dog managed 42 rabbits with hardly time to piss between them and was carried back to his car I'm going there tonight gonna shoot me some rabbits

. Without being there hard ta see but by the words in the post ,that's piss poor handling of ones animal by anyone's standard. Atb bunnys.
  • Like 3

. Without being there hard ta see but by the words in the post ,that's piss poor handling of ones animal by anyone's standard. Atb bunnys.

It sounds like the same stupid attitude that brags that a dog won't jack on a hare even though it's pissing blood and can hardly stand. Something to do with the dog having the balls its owner is lacking methinks.

• Like 10

The best catch dogs that I have owned/seen,..all had one thing in common,...they wanted their quarry, more than life itself... :yes: img098.tif.jpg

And I bet they weren't bull xs and even if they were I'd bet again you didn't keep them types because you wanted to brag about it. It was because they caught more, which after all is the aim of the game...right ? Or am I missing something here.
. Edited by blackmaggie

like a dog to not be shy around cover if theres one thing on this earth that i hate its a dog that stops/eases off just before a hedge

A dog can come away empty mouthed on a huge amount of potential catches by being shy around hedges etc, remember a dog losing his life after puncturing an artery after going hard into blackthorn in an attempt to catch his rabbit, so pros and cons to both

My problem pup I got has come on grand, recently I took him out lamping first time, He went with such speed he seemed to run 'through' the quarry, the animal just fell over sideways, f**ked. He is a timid dog due to his past but I had him out yesterday, he rolled while chasing one bunny, got up in a split second, continued, caught up with the bunny which then ran between a fence and thick blackthorn bushes, he ran straight through as if nothing was there and nailed the rabbit perfectly.

Then towards the end of the day he was in hot pursuit of a bunny and it ran through a wire fence, he didn't stop and hit it head on and bounced a bit, I thought he'd knocked teeth out, luckily he was fine.

For a timid dog, once he sees a rabbit, he's fearless. I'm not sure whether I like it or not still haha

You need to avoid any ground that has got potential disaster written all over it he says :doh:

Only so much you can do but some times worth popping a lead on till you clear some lethal looking fence if you suspect some thing might be about.

I was lamping a few weeks ago and the rabbit ran completely the opposite direction it should gone went through the gate onto a track and started head to a cattle grid. All out the beam I could hear the dog blasting down the track. I was bricking it and expecting 4 broken legs but lucky it hit the hedge before it got there.

Only so much you can do

Edited by terryd

It's simple has this ,seen and owned the full on types they can get by if they learn early on schooling through cover and woodland had and owned those that are have self preservation in there heads same again they learn ta kill in and around cover getting them out early and more time spent in and around cover than fields etc learns them ,there be those that cover the rough land woods etc much in the same style has roe fallow or red fellow it's much in the same has living early days in and around cover .i have seen those with self preservation bust a gut and still get the odd rip tear around cover it's surprising how a well bonded dog will work for its handler .also it's ones opinion of a self preservation animal there be some that may think differently than others much in the same pinion of gaminess toughness etc, all different opinions some higher and different standards what one man may deem hardy may not be to another handler swings and round abouts what I do know and it's simple if one needs a animal for night work either with a lamp or not a steady animal his a must. Atb bunnys.

My problem pup I got has come on grand, recently I took him out lamping first time, He went with such speed he seemed to run 'through' the quarry, the animal just fell over sideways, f**ked. He is a timid dog due to his past but I had him out yesterday, he rolled while chasing one bunny, got up in a split second, continued, caught up with the bunny which then ran between a fence and thick blackthorn bushes, he ran straight through as if nothing was there and nailed the rabbit perfectly.

Then towards the end of the day he was in hot pursuit of a bunny and it ran through a wire fence, he didn't stop and hit it head on and bounced a bit, I thought he'd knocked teeth out, luckily he was fine.

For a timid dog, once he sees a rabbit, he's fearless. I'm not sure whether I like it or not still haha

. I have seen em striking rocks on stubble so and lose a tooth or two they either

Ear ta use there speed accordingly or expect a few injuries, it's those animals that have only one gear full tilt that can be frighteningly dangerous .good luck and hope his brain clicks in .atb bunnys.

• Like 1

Send him to me mate I like them sorts lol ??

• Like 1