Mound Identification

First f all, please excuse the weeds in the patio! It's a rented house and we were on top of them in the spring but it's been a busy summer.

Can anyone here help identify these mounds? They have appeared in the last two days in gaps in the patio that the Mrs had planted succulents in to smarten up. First thought was a mole but the huge lawn is untouched and the trouble and strife is positive that one of the mounds appeared between lunch time and 3pm today, I had always assumed that moles were nocturnal? Could it be rats?

I haven't got te first clue about this so I look forward to being educated!

Thanks in advance,

GaZ

post-56573-0-92789900-1476977555_thumb.jpg

post-56573-0-24352000-1476977567_thumb.jpg

Ha you know what I meant. I've never even thought about it before to be honest, just always assumed that they made the mounds at night.

Why would they only pop up in the gaps in the patio and not anywhere on the lawn though?

The only encounter I've had with them is on a football pitch we used to play on and it was covered in mounds so I just thought that there would be a load on the lawn too?

Edited by GaZMaN888