Britain's Whale Hunters

Anyone watch this on bbc4? Was a pleasant change from the usual rubbish that's on.... one thing I realised from watching it is the industries we've lost that would of originally been a way for young lads leaving school to get employment, but unfortunately when sone thing is dependant on a finite source then one day it'll no longer cease to exist.... well worth a watch lads, I'm looking forward to part 2

• Like 1

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

missed it..but think I seen it before.. my old man was on the catchers,working from the mothership,, hektoria.. [google it] five catchers.. allways a norweigian on the harpoon.. my mother gave me hi

scot.. my old man never really spoke about them days..whish he was about now,,by Christ I'd have grilled him over a can and a dram..lol........... but he still believed in it,,bit like hunting reall

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killer_whales_of_Eden,_Australia

missed it..but think I seen it before..

my old man was on the catchers,working from the mothership,, hektoria.. [google it] five catchers.. allways a norweigian on the harpoon.. my mother gave me his contract,38/39 season..the last free for all..think there was over 43 thousand caught that season before out break of second world war.. I gave his contract to the whaling museum in hull after he died.. he was a hull man..but worked out of gy all his fishing life.. he worked for Christian salvesons, out of Durban south Africa and down to south Georgia..paid per barrel of oil in krona..i remember as a kid we had an old plaque/small oil painting his mate did for him [old galleon] ....that picture allways had a feeling to me..I don't think my old man never knew this,but after he died with the internet I found out she was torpedoed [hektoria] and his mate was the only casualty..

hard men hard times..

• Like 10

Seen it last year. If i had seen it would have watched it again though.

no certainly no place for that today.Those magnificent beasts deserve to have peace from us now.

Even after a year ago one quote stuck in my head when one old guy was talking about hunting them.

"They cried really"

• Like 2

scot..

my old man never really spoke about them days..whish he was about now,,by Christ I'd have grilled him over a can and a dram..lol...........

but he still believed in it,,bit like hunting really..

I remember him saying the explosive head..[harpoon] never killed them,they died of a broken heart..[bit like the man saying crying..it took me years to fathom out what he meant..meaning with them being a schooling animal they was pumping that much blood to keep up with the pod there hearts gave out..

think them boys who were on last night, was a generation down from my old mans days,,i worked with a Falkland islander and we got talking about this and he asked me if my old man went to the get togethers up in Scotland every year.but I never heard him mention this..

like I say them boys last night were a generation down..

blow the wind southerly old man.............

• Like 6

I've got a book at home, I can't remember what it's called now buts all about a guy that hunted the whales and basking sharks around the islands of west Scotland. It's a really interesting read! I'll be home tonight or tomorrow and I'll root it out.

• Like 1

Yea it was a very informative programme and a glimpse into an industry i kñew very little about. In fact i never even knew we were a whaling industry as late as that.

They old boys had respect for what they hunted thats for sure.

We should stop hunting them now imo. They gave more than enough to man and as i said deserve to be alone now.

I find whales remarkable and think we have only scratched the surface of how these animals tick.

I still look@ programmes and cant believe the size of some of them. f**k some are bigger than subs lol

Would like to go on a whale spotting trip sometime. Im certainly living in the right area to do that.

no certainly no place for that today.Those magnificent beasts deserve to have peace from us now.

Even after a year ago one quote stuck in my head when one old guy was talking about hunting them.

"They cried really"

Wa

"They cried really"

Told when they came across a pod they would harpoon and kill the young keeping the adults from leaving, glad it's finished apart from a few nations.

Humans have a lot to answer.

Probably not going to sit well but I'd hunt Killer Whales. I've never gotten over the video I watched in school of the b*****ds taking seals out to see and chucking them about like a game.

Probably not going to sit well but I'd hunt Killer Whales. I've never gotten over the video I watched in school of the b*****ds taking seals out to see and chucking them about like a game.

Not while I was there you wouldn't, I would literally beat your ass haha. I'm a right two faced cnut, I love hunting most animals but there's some that's way off the chart for me. If I saw somebody killing a tiger I honestly say I could shoot them and I wouldn't feel no remorse whatsoever.

• Like 1