Spaniel X Lab

Obi

Have to say that i haven't seen a good one and i have seen a few out. Watered down spaniel drive and smaller than a lab so covered less ground.

Probably more because the constituent parts of the parents weren't up to a great deal rather than the concept of a cross is flawed.

Personally i wouldn't go for one, straight spaniel, straight lab or a sprocker would be my choices in that order.

• Like 1

Had a mistaken litter of the above. Friend of mine had litter sisters, Spic and Span, and they were brilliant. Mind you both sire and dam were impeccable both winning for me in various events. (Not field trial but everything else). I ran one of the dogs for all his life and can honestly say it was a pleasure and a privilege to have had him as a companion. His heart was big as a bucket and when it came to foreshore in choppy conditions astounding. How anyone could badmouth this breed is beyond me. That's not knocking Dan by the way. But like you say, not many about because it would normally be a mistaken coupling. A lot of the bushing lads seem to be coming round to introducing both breeds into there lines interesting. Comments gents. Jok.

Hi Jok

I am sure that with the right parents they would be a useful dog but to my mind you are mixing 2 dogs of differing purposes so in my mind by doing that you are watering down each breed. BUT, a good dog is a good dog and id always find space for something that earns its keep.

Id also say that a lot of folk look at them as a cheap dog to work and hence the folk they go to maybe dont always do them justice?

However it is worth taking into consideration that i am a bit of a snob when ti comes to dogs and like to keep the registered stuff and i do like my cockers.

• Like 2

You can look at it the other way that instead of watering down you are mixing the good traits ....but like I have said and I stand by this very firmly the majority of gun dog lads are driven by the pound

• Like 1

Clearly you are both correct in your thoughts. The question was asked. The answer given in the most honest way I could. I wish, and you cannot , speak to people who watched what these guys could do. If only they could have been entered into tests. Jok.