Right,

At the moment I'm injured and off work for a week , I'm getting driven mad by the walls and the dishes and have been scouring looking at online hunting sites worldwide

Anyway , for a few years now I've been intrigued with bow hunting , the culture, the kit, the prey etc and my most read book is chuck Adams life at full draw

So come on all you Africans and Americans, you have this sport over us , what's your best bow hunting tales? What's your favourite prey ?

One thing that fascinates me esp the American style is the sheer volume of kit available, tell us about your rigs? What kit is essential and what can you go with out?

• Like 4

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We all have out beginnings with hunting, -and bow hunting was no different or me. When I turned 14, the population of deer in Kansas was just getting to the point of being huntable. Remember all the

Just got home from a day out,my missus said there's a delivery came for you,odd as I haven't ordered anything,she had only bought me a new bow in the correct colour and draw length for my mountain lio

Posted Images

I am heading back to ottawa before christmas to visit the 70,000 square foot Cabelas thats just been built virtually on my girlfriends parent doorstep,i saw it getting built in feb when i was there,they opened it a few weeks ago with an archer shooting his bow into a target,massive archery stock,i am going to be doing a bit of spending in there.My favourite quarry is fallow deer and fox (abroad),i just wish the UK bowhunting laws were relaxed,a sad indictment for a country that once produced the finest archers in the world.

• Like 4

I am heading back to ottawa before christmas to visit the 70,000 square foot Cabelas thats just been built virtually on my girlfriends parent doorstep,i saw it getting built in feb when i was there,they opened it a few weeks ago with an archer shooting his bow into a target,massive archery stock,i am going to be doing a bit of spending in there.My favourite quarry is fallow deer and fox (abroad),i just wish the UK bowhunting laws were relaxed,a sad indictment for a country that once produced the finest archers in the world.

It'll never be lifted which is a shame considering you can bow hunt all over the rest of the Anglosphere, a chunk of Europe and Africa. Makes you wonder what the potential revenue would be from bowhunting tourism. It's massive in the States with the likes of Shockey and Cam Hanes etc and with the UK's relative high density deer populations I imagine those high wealth tourists would love to come here and get a load of hunting in.

• Like 1

It'll never be lifted which is a shame considering you can bow hunt all over the rest of the Anglosphere, a chunk of Europe and Africa. Makes you wonder what the potential revenue would be from bowhunting tourism. It's massive in the States with the likes of Shockey and Cam Hanes etc and with the UK's relative high density deer populations I imagine those high wealth tourists would love to come here and get a load of hunting in.

I have a few of shockeys moose vid's born hunter,i am going to see his record moose in Cabelas,theres a lot of yanks pay big cash to bowhunt roe in france and red deer in argentina and new zealand,they would love a go in the highlands i am certain.

Stiff,was it chuck adams who brought a rhino or elephant ribcage home from africa to practice arrow penetration?I was looking at an elephant plastinate earlier today,thats some depth for an arrow to plough through before it hits vitals.

post-1930-0-99891800-1477139397_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

suppose if done proper its a lethal form hunting, but if not a animal could have slow/painful death .!!

Exactly the same as a rifle mate,no different,give a muppet either weapon and some animal will suffer a badly aimed shot.

• Like 2

Mackem your absolutely right but a missed placed bullet is more likely to bring down a beast than a missed placed arrow. Anyone "sharpening their arrows" should hone them finer than one "sharpening their barrels "

There's nothing more natural than bow hunting it precedes fire arms by a millennium, it's something I'd love to experience but I do believe it requires far more time and practice than a rifle and probably more than I could invest in it

Happy hunting

• Like 2

We all have out beginnings with hunting, -and bow hunting was no different or me. When I turned 14, the population of deer in Kansas was just getting to the point of being huntable. Remember all the wildlife belongs to the state you live in. We buy a license and a tag giving us the right to hunt a particular game animal. This right dissolves as soon as the tag expires. With bow hunting, the success rate is much less than rifle hunting. When I was 14, my father had shot a doe with his 30-30 the year before. He didn't draw a tag that year because he was ineligible. I was just old enough for the draw, and many more permits were available for bow hunters. Back in the 70's, the only reason you bow hunted, was so you would have a chance at a much coveted tag.

These days you can find bows on line, and in box stores and in specialty shops. I bought mine in a hardware store. More or less, it was a slightly more powerful than average 50# recurve. I used wooden arrows, with sharpenable blades. Quite by accident, I did kill a buck. It was a subject of conversation for years. We rifle hunted as well as tags became more common and more numerous.

I can honestly say I think I would prefer being gut shot with a rifle to being impacted by one of my blades. I have never had a problem with a kill. Even with a gut shot, it has never been a problem finding my deer within 100 yards.

Whether stalking, hiding, or baiting, it is a challenge and very worthwhile. When shooting from an elevated stand I have shot numerous does while in town and never had them leave my yard. Hitting them just right, anticipating what they do is all important. Off season can be spent bow fishing And even bird hunting. I went out this morning. It's too warm, but rut is right around the corner. Some of my best kills have been after the rut. Something about being tired, and letting down their guard. We have an awful lot of hunters, so most bucks go nocturnal.

Getting back from work late one morning, I decided rather than going to bed, I would go out on my birthday and see if I could get the buck I had been after. He was very large bodied, and run down from rut. I was just getting out of my truck and cresting the first hill when I saw with the help of new dawn the bobbing of antlers just above the very tall CRP grass. That is a government program to help restore highly erodable farmland back to grassland. Much of the grass can get to 7 feet tall. This buck was barely visible, but following a known trail (mine), and would overtake me in 200 yards. I threw myself down wind from the trail and pulled the bow. I did have a whisker biscuit, so I was good with a horizontal pull. I shot over the tops of my boots up into his back. Had to finish him with a chest shot.

09buck066.jpg

Bow fishing is just as fun

Graduation20Junior20Year200011.jpg

007.jpg[/url

[url=http://s460.photobucket.com/user/DavidKSU88/media/0621090837a1.jpg.html]0621090837a1.jpg

Edited by Dr. A
  • Like 10

I sure hope I didn't kill this thread. I thought about raising the question of why the UK did not ever legalize bow hunting, but had googled up a target sight with a huge and somewhat quizzical argument against bow hunting and how cruel and inefficient it was for hunting. It probably is the future of hunting here in the U.S. It poses virtually no risk to neighbors, requires quite a bit of practice, and luck. There are a few injured animals running around with arrows, but as a rule, the inexperienced don't get as much chance to make a fool of themselves because of the need for proximity to the game.

I also figured that if there was little to no regulation in the UK for bows, that might follow with hunting with a bow.

Doesn't sound like very much chance of anything like that happening anytime soon. (legalization)

• Like 4

Much of the gun owning U.S. gets fired up on every election concerning our second amendment rights. States vary, and some have very strict laws concerning guns. Being "stranded" in the middle of the U.S. gives me some source of comfort. We have many rights, and am generally not concerned with them being eroded. I'm not into machine guns, or even wanting to open carry, but any little tiny infringement is viewed on by the gun masses as a potential cave in to their demands. When I first started bow hunting and had success, I thought that surely this must be the way we would all end up. (everyone bow hunting)

Bow hunting teaches you to learn to make judgements quickly or suffer the lack of success. I doubt no matter who is elected that gun rights will erode all that much. There are gun hunters, and there will always be bow hunters. Many of which never enjoy success. I am satisfied with my hunting guns, and enjoy target practicing at distances. I have handguns as well as a few semi-automatic guns that I really don't need. They were a source of fascination when younger. They are superior when hog hunting and you want to get more chances, but I have always enjoyed a stalk or surprise with my bow.

Bow hunting is more a purists sport. Many think there should be no crossbows allowed. Some even believe only long bows or recurves should be utilized. Kansas has a very long bow season, and I enjoy this in that i run very tight schedule and have to have many outings to usually have success. If I could hunt daily, I am sure I would be able to get success earlier. I turn down many animals in waiting for what I want to shoot. I don't, or have not so far not gotten my animal on my own land. It can take 2 hours to sometimes 40 or so for a particular animal. This is with hunts averaging 3.5 hours. I rarely get a morning hunt Usually an evening hunt if the practice is going slow or on a weekend. I am my wife's subject, and have to bow to her schedule as well. :huh: Hope your country realizes the potential success this practice would bring. Its certainly my favorite hunting technique.

Edited by Dr. A
  • Like 4