Hi Chris lovely scenary

im pretty sure those are mule deer , you can tell by the ears, also i think i can make out a black tip on the tails and there white horse shoe backside ?

whitetail deer have a brown tail on outside but white on inside which they raise when alarmed giving them there name .

cheers Dan

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We all have out beginnings with hunting, -and bow hunting was no different or me. When I turned 14, the population of deer in Kansas was just getting to the point of being huntable. Remember all the

Just got home from a day out,my missus said there's a delivery came for you,odd as I haven't ordered anything,she had only bought me a new bow in the correct colour and draw length for my mountain lio

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

DanielG, that sounds great, have you any pictures and please share them!

On a side note, I have bought a bow, lol. Hoyt Ultratec with cam&1/2 cams, 50-60lb. Just waiting on all the other bits now, sight, rest, release etc.

The draw weight seems quite comfortable. It's 40" axle to axle which I think will probably be more forgiving for a novice.

Had a chat with a mate of a mate who has done a bit with a bow (recently Namib') and gave me some advice so that was helpful.

Did you buy secondhand in the end mate?

I just found out last week I have a bow shop reasonably close by, which I was quite excited about & my wife looked excited too....albeit through gritted teeth! Haha....

The online reviews look very good, infact one guy said "they'd rather die, than not sell you something....." Which believe it or not is a pretty good sign for belgium, they're not usually known for their over-enthusiastic service....haha...

....so, I'm going to head over there soon to check out my stats as it where & see what they recommend. Unfortunately they've just shut for a months holiday, which is not unusual here for a small shop, so I'll have to wait a bit.

It's just advice at the moment & possibly seek out a lesson or two & then check the second hand market, which seems the sensible thing to do.

I've actually just been watching a young chap on utube, 'Average jack archery' I think? A very sensible & bearable american (haha) who gives out some good advice & he's only ever bought secondhand.

Have you spent much yet? If you don't mind me asking....;-)

• Like 3

On a side note, I have bought a bow, lol. Hoyt Ultratec with cam&1/2 cams, 50-60lb. Just waiting on all the other bits now, sight, rest, release etc.

The draw weight seems quite comfortable. It's 40" axle to axle which I think will probably be more forgiving for a novice.

Had a chat with a mate of a mate who has done a bit with a bow (recently Namib') and gave me some advice so that was helpful.

I just found out last week I have a bow shop reasonably close by, which I was quite excited about & my wife looked excited too....albeit through gritted teeth! Haha....

The online reviews look very good, infact one guy said "they'd rather die, than not sell you something....." Which believe it or not is a pretty good sign for belgium, they're not usually known for their over-enthusiastic service....haha...

....so, I'm going to head over there soon to check out my stats as it where & see what they recommend. Unfortunately they've just shut for a months holiday, which is not unusual here for a small shop, so I'll have to wait a bit.

It's just advice at the moment & possibly seek out a lesson or two & then check the second hand market, which seems the sensible thing to do.

I've actually just been watching a young chap on utube, 'Average jack archery' I think? A very sensible & bearable american (haha) who gives out some good advice & he's only ever bought secondhand.

I'd deffo buy second hand again. This bow was spotless! I'm somewhere around £400ish now. The bow was 190, new trophy ridge joker was 50, new true ball trigger release about 50 too, a new but cheap stabiliser/silencer 20, new QAD drop away rest 45 I think and finally a dozen new Easton gamegetters with 100gr screw in tips 65.

I nearly bought a 250 quid trophy ridge sight but glad I didn't, this joker is fine and CHEAP relatively! I'm shooting my bow at full power now and it feels about right and is really firing the arrows out compared to a few turns lighter. They shoot more efficiently at full power, they're designed to work optimally there apparently. Finally I'm not very happy with the QAD rest, can't seem to get it dropping right so for shooting out to 40 yards I'd probably say just get a whisper biscuit.

My first go at 40 yards on the bank holiday. I knew I pulled one shot! Also the group is high because I expected it to be 3rd pin down but it was only 2nd pin down, which was a pleasant surprise. After that sighting group I was smashing broken tiles no bother.

post-3173-0-93969900-1504213158_thumb.png

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Like 3

I know we gripe in the UK that bowhunting is illegal,but f***ing hell some guys have a lot more to complain about :blink: Just watched Tom Miranda hunting lion in Mozambique,he gets there to the camp and falls ill,has to be driven TWO days to a hospital to be operated on,during the drive his small convoy of vehicles are shot-up by rebels,his own vehicle takes some rounds,theres a guy shot on the back of his vehicle bleeding out :blink: they get to the hospital and tom gets his operation,recovery time in hospital is a week and a half :blink: then they drive him back to camp and he baits and shoots a nice male lion :laugh: its all caught on film,thats a hunt he must watch and re-watch from the comfort of his armchair back in florida :yes:

• Like 1

I'd deffo buy second hand again. This bow was spotless! I'm somewhere around £400ish now. The bow was 190, new trophy ridge joker was 50, new true ball trigger release about 50 too, a new but cheap stabiliser/silencer 20, new QAD drop away rest 45 I think and finally a dozen new Easton gamegetters with 100gr screw in tips 65.

I nearly bought a 250 quid trophy ridge sight but glad I didn't, this joker is fine and CHEAP relatively! I'm shooting my bow at full power now and it feels about right and is really firing the arrows out compared to a few turns lighter. They shoot more efficiently at full power, they're designed to work optimally there apparently. Finally I'm not very happy with the QAD rest, can't seem to get it dropping right so for shooting out to 40 yards I'd probably say just get a whisper biscuit.

My first go at 40 yards on the bank holiday. I knew I pulled one shot! Also the group is high because I expected it to be 3rd pin down but it was only 2nd pin down, which was a pleasant surprise. After that sighting group I was smashing broken tiles no bother.

Yeah I had that kind of figure in mind, though I really shouldn't be thinking about spending money on this right now..........but you know how it is? Haha....

If I could get something half decent second hand for a couple of hundred I'd be well happy. Would your bow of been a mid priced one brand new? I expect you've saved a lot at that price.....

So what's your plan? You must have a little scenario going round in your head, eh? Get proficient & maybe a hunting trip abroad?

I will go to the Belgian Hunting Expo again next spring, so if I haven't made much headway by then, I'll talk to those bowhunting guys again, but in more detail ;-)

• Like 1

I know we gripe in the UK that bowhunting is illegal,but f***ing hell some guys have a lot more to complain about :blink: Just watched Tom Miranda hunting lion in Mozambique,he gets there to the camp and falls ill,has to be driven TWO days to a hospital to be operated on,during the drive his small convoy of vehicles are shot-up by rebels,his own vehicle takes some rounds,theres a guy shot on the back of his vehicle bleeding out :blink: they get to the hospital and tom gets his operation,recovery time in hospital is a week and a half :blink: then they drive him back to camp and he baits and shoots a nice male lion :laugh: its all caught on film,thats a hunt he must watch and re-watch from the comfort of his armchair back in florida :yes:

That's dedication :-)

• Like 1

Yeah I had that kind of figure in mind, though I really shouldn't be thinking about spending money on this right now..........but you know how it is? Haha....

If I could get something half decent second hand for a couple of hundred I'd be well happy. Would your bow of been a mid priced one brand new? I expect you've saved a lot at that price.....

So what's your plan? You must have a little scenario going round in your head, eh? Get proficient & maybe a hunting trip abroad?

I will go to the Belgian Hunting Expo again next spring, so if I haven't made much headway by then, I'll talk to those bowhunting guys again, but in more detail ;-)

Well obviously the 5 yr porridge and 10k fine makes being naughty in the UK a no no. The less said about that, from those who would/do, the better. "Pre ban Your Honour?". LOL

Yeah, one day I'll go abroad on a 'big' game hunt but that's not the sort of thing I'll be able to afford very often. Spot and stalk antelope in the US West would be great. It'd be difficult to go on such an adventure and not take my rifle though...

I'm not quite sure where my bow fits in the range really, I would say it's a lower end model of a premium brand.

You don't have to explain financial dilemmas too me, I was "only looking"! HA! I've just started reloading, entering my Cocker and now this, more little projects than I need.

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Like 1

Well obviously the 5 yr porridge and 10k fine makes being naughty in the UK a no no. The less said about that, from those who would/do, the better. "Pre ban Your Honour?". LOL

Yeah, one day I'll go abroad on a 'big' game hunt but that's not the sort of thing I'll be able to afford very often. Spot and stalk antelope in the US West would be great. It'd be difficult to go on such an adventure and not take my rifle though...

I'm not quite sure where my bow fits in the range really, I would say it's a lower end model of a premium brand.

You don't have to explain financial dilemmas too me, I was "only looking"! HA! I've just started reloading, entering my Cocker and now this, more little projects than I need.

Of course it's never straight forward in Belgium. Here in Flanders bowhunting is not permitted yet, but they are working on it & yet a few miles from my house over the border into Walonia it's legal. I gather the Flemish lads just travel down to the Ardennes, where all the serious Boar & Deer hunting go's on......Bowhunting is just added to the general hunting license which see's them good in both regions.....

Incidentally, the Ardennes is only 3+ hours from Calais by road, so I think a Bowhunting trip with your Fac would work here.

I'm currently preparing my wife with comments about secondhand gear & big savings! Haha.......I know I shouldn't, but I probably will at some point.......I just have to remind myself I don't need a Martin Lithium for practicing in my garden for the next 3 years! Haha.... I've already priced 3d Roe targets...haha.....but that's the thing, I should imagine just practicing at targets with a Bow would keep you entertained for a lot longer than with a Rifle.......so the wait might not be too bad :-)

Edited by Accip74
  • Like 2

have you thought about a hunting recurve or longbow ? There lots of fun, and with lots of practice you can get surprisingly accurate.

Took me a good year to learn how to shoot it LOL but that was with no lessons, just you tube.

I haven't really given it much thought mate. I'll try a compound first & in the mean time learn Flemish to eventually get a hunting license.........this is a long term project, so one step at a time :-)

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

And while we're talking foreign hunting, I'm really liking the look of Wyoming the past couple weeks. Looks right up my street. Mountain hunting, wolf hunting and particularly antelope hunting in the prairies.

Take a coat. I was in Evanston, in June, and it snowed! :icon_eek:

Daniel I have just been shooting a recurve at the gamefair,fingers is totally alien to me,release and compound is far easier,i can see myself buying a recurve though,lot of fun and very basic :thumbs:

I've got a hand me down bow that I'm learning on. I want to shoot traditional for a while before I even attempt a compound. I know the weights are lower, and they're much more difficult but it's a skillset that fascinates me. :thumbs:

Chris hows the practice coming on ? i missed that you were shooting a trad bow.

atb Dan

Chris hows the practice coming on ? i missed that you were shooting a trad bow.

atb Dan

Doing okay although I've not had a lot of practice time recently. I have to practice on my pistol skills as I've got a qualification test coming up. I'll get some pics of the archery target when I can. :thumbs:

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

bow hunting is pretty big around by me.

couple of friends are into it in a big way for deer and bears.

even the schools teach archery

but its all fine til this happens

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/hunter-dragged-from-tree-mother-bear-1.4279786

happened not far from me.

i dont know what it is about that area as some kids got fatally shot a few weeks later.so

the hunter thought he was an elk and let rip with a rifle.

• 6 months later...
On ‎25‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 09:34, Born Hunter said:

I've just bought a new bow a Mathews compound and I can't draw it back I'm  a right hander and my left shoulder that I had operated on years ago just won't take it if I hold it my right hand and draw it with my left its fine so now i'm going to have to look for a left hander which will be weird as I have always shot right handed i'm gutted as it's a cracking bow